Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023 | 07:58 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ken45
I sure hope when I take mine apart someday that it does not have any of these issues. The numbers on mine are on the right hand side so if the left side was bad can you take a left case from another engine and use it with the original ?
yes but the belly numbers won't match. also not just a simple bolt/unbolt but doable by a good shop.

Old 06-04-2023 | 09:29 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

It seems pretty clear that the majority opinion is repairing the case is not a guaranteed permanent fix. Even though some people in here may have had success with their repairs, I will have to get comfortable with the fact that if I go with a new SS crankcase set, I will always have the original cases on the side. After all, there is absolutely nothing original about this build aside from the fact it is/was numbers matching. I will probably have my builder order the cases tomorrow. I’ll post pics. Thanks to everyone!

The following 2 users liked this post by Spumoni:
Firedude2 (08-14-2023), Maxacceleration (06-04-2023)
Old 06-08-2023 | 11:50 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

We heard about a guy name "dragon man" who supposedly fixes cases. We called him and he said he does about 20 a year and never had a problem. The whole process takes less than a week and the price was $395. As tempting as it was, it felt suspiciously low. We ended up taking the costly but easy route. Ordered new S&S cases and a complete S&S crank. I’ll keep the original bottom end in tact, and off to the side. This turned out to be a very expensive leak!

Last edited by Spumoni; 06-08-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2023 | 01:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

ONCE upon a time he was in his shop watching what goes out - today he is doing other things and his shop while set up one machine does just one job times 25 30 machines - its all kids today most with man buns ( actually douche knots )

your better off with a S&S block even with the cost - many times i watched guy go the cheap route - and in the end its never cheap its always more expensive

shovels are bought and sold when they cost someone money - so no one can tell you it works except for the guys who have seen it not work when they come in the door of an owner

Old 06-08-2023 | 01:30 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Makes sense I guess.

Hey John - I know you gave me a couple ideas to increase the oil pressure on that new spring you sent (drop a ball bearing into the pressure lift valve, or cut the S&S spring). BUT, I came across these springs - do you think it's worth a try?

https://ertproductsinc1.godaddysites...rpump-kit-sp-1

Last edited by Spumoni; 06-08-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2023 | 03:04 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

NO

the S&S engine block is a different animal go back to stock S&S pump spring and we will see what goes on - a new S&S breather with the extended sip slot is also a good idea going forward - what the extended slot does is pulls more oil from the vent cavity at every revolution - the reed breather has a place but use the steel one for this build - every thing will have correction mods for better oil control performance

your under water at this point but its all good going forward

i never said cut the spring i send you the fix in the early spring

Last edited by johnjzjz; 06-08-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2023 | 07:12 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Aaaahhh. Ok. Interesting. Remember the top end is all OEM, aside from pistons which are S&S. If you think that can handle the 60 psi when cold, I'll go back to the S&S spring and see what happens. If I get another leak after all this, I will ride this bike off the first cliff I can find.

Thanks John.

Old 06-09-2023 | 06:45 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The spring and cutting it was done once or twice with a bike on the road having major issue with oil blowing out the vent on a multi state ride

cutting the spring does 2 things it shortened it yes but it changed the rate that it operates at - this changes the pressure as well — it was a in the pinch type thing we do not do in the shop — but 500 miles away and on the side of the road the idea is get it going again with a bandage

S&S shovel engines come with the pump you have yes its hi pressure and yes you would think it would be an issue _ but S&S has moded the internal flywheel scraper in machining it to the correct location so the job it does with the equal thickness flywheel is at least 100 percent more effective then the original casted in the case OEM idea - OEM scraper most times it does the job till you change things - then it cant do the job as its not in the correct location / length / and angle of knife edge - this is the reason your having issues with the oil pump you installed

we have seen many S&S engines in shovel config - run evo oil pressure with no issues - all the shovellutishion engine run hi oil pressure as well that is an evo cam and lifters with moded rocker arms different ration to handle the evo camshaft

Last edited by johnjzjz; 06-09-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2023 | 08:35 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Thank you for the clarification. This answers all of my questions / concerns. Wished I had known this from the start, but I'm even more happy now that I got S&S cases / crank coming. Now the S&S oil pump should work the way it was intended.

This is the S&S breather we intended on using - can you tell if this has the extended sip slot?

Old 06-09-2023 | 08:55 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Your doing the right thing here.. I've known John for a few years now and his knowledge is unsurpassed..

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...