Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023 | 05:14 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Spumoni
I know that you're right - we checked with S&S and all of our parts will go right inside the new cases. That is surely the best/quickest option.

BUT let me try one last attempt - IF I were to attempt having the OEM case repaired (remember, I'm not trying to save money I just really like idea of numbers matching) would a fix like this be a possibility?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b22GLq_INS4
I fixed my 62 Panhead cases by replacing the inserts because the VIN is on the engine case, the bike is parts without it in my opinion. You can do the same. Green loctite and mechanically secured it's not going anywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Ken45 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 10:06 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
You cant leave it and think its going to be ok - it will at some point bust the case out and all the oil in the lower unit is splashed onto the tire

you dont need to ask me how i know that - on the site hotrod bobs bike with S&S wheels came loose while running because of all the movement ( the flywheels came loose and wrecked the tapers ). It was a 1/2 mile from throwing the engine internals into the rear wheel

yes they will tell you they can fix it - in the end its 20 busks short of a new set of cases - and bobs was fixed when this happened only weeks before - it didn’t work by the way

S&S cases are the strongest for street use look very much the part needed - you dont own a top fuel bike dont buy that case it wont do the job you need

if you need help pm me in this
Originally Posted by Spumoni
Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

I'm still in the denial stage.

I have no intention of leaving it. I already spent too much money to stop now. Praying to god I can use the original cases - I always liked the idea of the numbers matching (I know that's not logical for this build). Still trying to get my head around the idea that we have to pull the motor, and completely disassemble it...

I will PM you.
The original engine is toast - stop

think OEM used or a new S&S -0 while the used can be adjusted to what you need - i get it but a time element is at play
Originally Posted by hellonewman
I fixed my 62 Panhead cases by replacing the inserts because the VIN is on the engine case, the bike is parts without it in my opinion. You can do the same. Green loctite and mechanically secured it's not going anywhere.

Y'all should listen to John . I spent Well over $2,000 trying to fix a leak on my cases on my built Evo (stock numbers matching) and you know what, it just doesn't work... All you're doing is extending the time of the repair to more aggravation and more money down the road It doesn't work.. But hey it's your money, your time and your bike.. Do what you want but in the end you're going to wish you went the other way...
I've got a year on my S&S cases since John helped me out and he was right about the tapers and everything, dude it ruined ****ing everything on the inside.. correct me if I'm wrong John but didn't I even have to get a new crank???? I'm happy as a pig and **** now that it's fixed but those that tell you it can be repaired, sure temporarily... Mine lasted 800 mi and when I stopped to get gas one day I had an oil leak the size of a ****ing grapefruit on the ground... But again hey it's yours Do what you please...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 06-03-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2023 | 12:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The flywheel tapers were no longer able to hold the rod pin in align

and they scissored causing the new repair that was done to brake again - or it broke the new repair and caused the flywheel issue

you choose what you want to believe - original cases destroyed and a new rotating assembly had to be replaced again

At that time it was beginning of riding season if i remember correctly - i happen to have a loner stroker evo fun engine and bob stuck it in his chassis till we got the other engine figured out and back together - still think some of his issue was the cam shaft and the abundance of static compressing it produced bob and i went round and round over that -but it fixed now

Last edited by johnjzjz; 06-03-2023 at 12:36 PM.
98hotrodfatboy (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 12:43 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

You're right john, there was an abundance of compression.. ccp 213..

TwiZted Biker (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 01:07 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Y'all should listen to John . ..
Just because your repair failed doesn't mean mine or anyone else's will and I would do the same again if I run into another engine with loose mains. Your engine choices are a dime a dozen so its easy for you to dispense advice, see how you feel if its something of significant value you're trying to save.

Old 06-03-2023 | 01:41 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Just because your repair failed doesn't mean mine or anyone else's will and I would do the same again if I run into another engine with loose mains. Your engine choices are a dime a dozen so its easy for you to dispense advice, see how you feel if its something of significant value you're trying to save.
I guess it depends on what you're doing with what you have and where you're going..
To each they're own.. it's still metal..

Old 06-03-2023 | 02:08 PM
Ken45
Road Captain

I am wondering if that insert is loose, if after it is out, that the hole was bored or honed just a little bit oversize to true it up. Then take the new piece that goes in there and have it spray welded to make it over size and then grind it to the correct fit. They are doing this on air craft parts so they can reuse expensive parts.

Old 06-03-2023 | 04:18 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ken45
I am wondering if that insert is loose, if after it is out, that the hole was bored or honed just a little bit oversize to true it up. Then take the new piece that goes in there and have it spray welded to make it over size and then grind it to the correct fit. They are doing this on air craft parts so they can reuse expensive parts.

the alloy case is pored around the steel insert < the unbalance and movement in the load is what brakes the mold loose

everyone has an opinion - they even say people brag about owning twinkies - now thats a laughing stock if i ever heard of one

TwiZted Biker (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 05:26 PM
Ken45
Road Captain

the alloy case is pored around the steel insert < the unbalance and movement in the load is what brakes the mold loose

everyone has an opinion - they even say people brag about owning twinkies - now thats a laughing stock if i ever heard of one
I sure hope when I take mine apart someday that it does not have any of these issues. The numbers on mine are on the right hand side so if the left side was bad can you take a left case from another engine and use it with the original ?

Old 06-03-2023 | 05:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Cases can be repaired, problem is it's not permanent fix if the bikes ridden regular. It's going to be an in town putt around occasionally toy, maybe. You plan on riding it for real the fix won't last and the sometimes are ugly when the let go at speed. More miles the faster it undoes what a lot of and time money did for you.

Been there tried this with my 72 cases on my shovel, 74" then 80" then up to 88" and the fun began, serious miles and riding like I meant it went through several rebuilds. Did the case repair hoping but 6 months in knew it wasn't right. Why I ended up on and S&S 93".

Your choice but think long and hard about it and you habits.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...