Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Rocker box rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM
SparkyD
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Rocker box rebuild

While disassembling/cleaning/inspecting/measuring the rocker box (rear cylinder) I noticed that the oil hole in the bushing is in a different location than the oil hole on the other rocker (in relation to the 'thumb' for the pushrod). Does this matter? Is the location of this oil hole important?

Last edited by SparkyD; 01-19-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:21 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,514 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Im unfamiliar with them but I would look and see if there's a hole in the pushrod cup that leads to the rocker shaft bushing. If so then the hole should allow oil to feed oil to lube the pushrod tip. If not then forget everything I just said!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:02 AM
SparkyD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Im unfamiliar with them but I would look and see if there's a hole in the pushrod cup that leads to the rocker shaft bushing. If so then the hole should allow oil to feed oil to lube the pushrod tip. If not then forget everything I just said!
There is not a hole in the pushrod cup that leads to the bushing. That was one of the first things i looked into.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,413 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Edit;
I will look carefully today sometime in the shop... The Darn Evo Motor is different enough from the Shovel, to confuse my memory on top end oil!!!! And... Gettin older don't help that Memory...
Went and looked... but, I do not have a rocker without bushings right now!!!
Oil In to the Big end of the shaft, from the Box... shaft is hollow so oil to middle of shaft between bushings... Valve side, oil fron behind bushing to the "port" in the bushing... Pushrod side, oil from behind bushing to that port... and the bleed off/relief, oil is sent out the hole adjacent to the bushing hole, right out the Rocker itself... little hole at Pushrod side on top of rocker..
Splash oil is funneled from pushrod "rocker" to pushrod "tip" via that hole at top on rocker...
Prolly gotta hold the Rocker in yer hand and look at it while ya read my meandering, as My communication skills are suspect!!!! Just ask my Bitter Half!!!!

BTW... the ones I have here all of the "ports" are aligned like your second picture...and there is a relief hole right out the "top" near the Cup
I do not see the relief/bleed hole in your first picture... so I am confused right now...
Maybe later i can scare up some more examples!!!!
one more time
now I found a set with no port on either bushing. And a relief hole aimed at the valve side rocker, toward the valve tip!!
and there is no funnel at pushrod tip, it is hollow and oil comes out of it
note there is Not an HD part # on these last ones!!

Last edited by Racepres; 01-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (01-27-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 03:08 AM
SparkyD
Road Captain

Yep, we are on the same page. A little playing around with my compressor blowing some air thru and i figured it out. The more i learn about this motor the more i love it. Made some good progress this last week.

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (01-27-2020)