Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Breather gear opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 11:17 PM
TommyShovels
|
Cruiser

Yikes! it kinda seems as a try it but don't have your hopes high type of thing. It is only a hundred something bucks and could potentially prevent further damage of my motor.. or it could serve to **** me off. I think the pros over weigh the cons here. I think I'm going to wait for Marty to do some testing of his own with these and hold off on sticking one in mine right this second, I've still got some time before my bike is rolling down the street anyway.

it sounds worth it even in the case of some cold run oil splatter until warm up.

Last edited by TommyShovels; 10-23-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2019 | 03:21 AM
TommyShovels
|
Cruiser

Holy god!

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/910...er-reamer-tool

It's going to be very pricey to ream my breather .030 over.. then what happens when that bore takes some fragments in the far future? you would then have to find a +.030 stationary reed style breather as the only final 'fix'.

I don't like mix and matching internal parts and so I'm just going to clean the bur up on my breather gear, stick 'er back in there and forget about it. For now.

Marty, let me know whatcha think of the S&S reed breather and how they perform.

-Edit-
Oh what the f*ck.. Looking at my breather gear I just noticed a piece of what looks like a portion of a seal, or even the outside of a decent size flat style o-ring seal inside of the breather screen from the crank case port.
At least it stayed in the screen.. that would of been nasty lodged in a top-end oil passage, or somewhere in the pump. Would anybody like to take a shot at identifying these remains?

I'll tell ya one thing, that don't belong in my breather gear..

Last edited by TommyShovels; 10-24-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2019 | 05:59 AM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain

that damn reeder valve picks up everything not worth it

Old 10-24-2019 | 07:59 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Been using the reed breather in all my shovels and EVOs for lots of years...One evo i have with it 50 k.( but it is a head breather)....one shovel i did years ago has 32k....dont know if it matters but i always drill my lifter blocks return holes a bit bigger ( 4 holes in last set as a test) so not just oil going thru...maybe a bit of pressure too..
my current shovel only a 2 k but barely a spit now and than out of breather... it had a plastic gear that looked chitty.....so stuffed the reed in it. Dont think its much different than the stock breather gear as far as a spit here and there. Its not going to stop the oil dump from a leaking ball in oil pump. If the motor is together only way to fly if you have damaged bore. It works and not supposed to.....i find no crap in them after a few years....but the ones i have pulled apart arent eating themselves. My present shovel also uses a small dump tank/ breather under bike i can drain ever month.....nothing much drips out.

The following users liked this post:
TommyShovels (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019 | 08:30 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
that damn reeder valve picks up everything not worth it
Originally Posted by TommyShovels
Holy god!

It's going to be very pricey to ream my breather .030 over.. then what happens when that bore takes some fragments in the far future? you would then have to find a +.030 stationary reed style breather as the only final 'fix'.

I don't like mix and matching internal parts and so I'm just going to clean the bur up on my breather gear, stick 'er back in there and forget about it. For now.

-Edit-
Oh what the f*ck.. Looking at my breather gear I just noticed a piece of what looks like a portion of a seal, or even the outside of a decent size flat style o-ring seal inside of the breather screen from the crank case port.
At least it stayed in the screen.. that would of been nasty lodged in a top-end oil passage, or somewhere in the pump. Would anybody like to take a shot at identifying these remains?

More and more looking like a Reed may be what Tommy's Shovel Needs...
But... Seriously Tommy... That engine Needs to come apart.. Anytime the Breather "eats" any metal at all... it came from someplace...and... went thru the Oil pump as well since the non-reed breather does Not catch everything...
In the case of running metal thru the motor...it would be a good thing if the Breather caught "everything"... tho I do Not see how that is possible either...

One more time... Pull that engine Out...and see where that metal came from... I am beginning to suspect a Wristpin keeper
you will know this by simply pulling the heads [even in Frame] and look in the bore of each!!!
Tho that is Not the Final Word...
Was it Mine... It would be on the Bench...awaiting [it's Turn] for Teardown...and at Minimum scrubbed and carefully Inspected!!!

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019 | 12:31 PM
Hannibal Smith
Road Captain

Holy god!

-Edit-

looks like a pushrod cover seal.

Old 10-24-2019 | 12:53 PM
TommyShovels
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
More and more looking like a Reed may be what Tommy's Shovel Needs...
But... Seriously Tommy... That engine Needs to come apart.. Anytime the Breather "eats" any metal at all... it came from someplace...and... went thru the Oil pump as well since the non-reed breather does Not catch everything...
In the case of running metal thru the motor...it would be a good thing if the Breather caught "everything"... tho I do Not see how that is possible either...

One more time... Pull that engine Out...and see where that metal came from... I am beginning to suspect a Wristpin keeper
you will know this by simply pulling the heads [even in Frame] and look in the bore of each!!!
Tho that is Not the Final Word...
Was it Mine... It would be on the Bench...awaiting [it's Turn] for Teardown...and at Minimum scrubbed and carefully Inspected!!!
Being the motor was at one point rebuilt, and not many miles put on it after - I am going to run the thing and keep up with the oil, watch for shavings and if it continues then I'll strongly point towards an upper tear down.

Old 10-24-2019 | 12:54 PM
TommyShovels
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith
looks like a pushrod cover seal.
That's exactly what I thought, looks much like the old seals that were in this thing too.
I just don't know how it could of made it THERE.

Old 10-24-2019 | 01:10 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain

wow everything ends up there founded three wristpins before my engine blew, but I can't say that damn breather didn't warn me because it did I was taking that nose cone off once a week to clean the metal particles, then I got tired took the breather out and wow blew the **** out that engine

That's exactly what I thought, looks much like the old seals that were in this thing too.
I just don't know how it could of made it THERE.

Old 10-24-2019 | 03:05 PM
TommyShovels
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
wow everything ends up there founded three wristpins before my engine blew, but I can't say that damn breather didn't warn me because it did I was taking that nose cone off once a week to clean the metal particles, then I got tired took the breather out and wow blew the **** out that engine
Well, I suppose the good news is 20 years later since this motor was rebuilt I only found ONE piece of scrap in the breather, piece of a probably been replaced seal, nothing else. Seems as things could be much worse.

Come next winter I am going to put the engine back on my bench and do a tear down. No way am I dealing with the frustration, yelling and tool throwing trying to pull the heads/jugs in the frame.

Last edited by TommyShovels; 10-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Breather gear opinions.