Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil Shut off valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 10:55 AM
Bulldog1085
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say it's a "pump off" job to reseat the ball but keep in mind the problem could also be the spring. The spring gets old and less springy and isn't able to hold the ball firmly in place.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:07 PM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

for the money & considering it is the heart of ya bike, you might wanna look at getting a new S&S pump,
I changed mine a year ago & it was the best thing I did, NO sumping and damn good pressure,...

Old 06-30-2022, 04:45 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog1085
I'd say it's a "pump off" job to reseat the ball but keep in mind the problem could also be the spring. The spring gets old and less springy and isn't able to hold the ball firmly in place.
i might change my spring and ball to fix my sumping. cheaper than a new pump

Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog1085
i might change my spring and ball to fix my sumping. cheaper than a new pump

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 08:15 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I had low presure and sometimes sumping on my '66 Shovel. I put an S&S pump on around 30 years ago, and no problems since.

The following users liked this post:
magnum45pete (06-30-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:06 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

The problem with the S&S is if it requires you to drill an additional hole in your engine case. Im not a fan of that or the look of a billet pump on an antique bike - just personal preference. In search of better oiling with a stock pump I recently bought a gear drive kit for the 48 engine that changes the ratio and spins the stock pump a little faster. We'll see!

Old 07-02-2022, 09:15 AM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

personally I'm not bothered about originality if a quality

performance part is better than stock, as my Shovel was built from parts collected over many years, & is FAR from stock, (see pic)
but it is a pain that you cannot get a quality bolt on stock oil pump that you dont need to go buy a $70 drilling gig to fit, just for one hole !
i understand the reason of the hole, but at times you just want stock & the quality market is lacking, cheap asian pumps dont do it for me,
and although I do not like their Carbs, The S&S oil Pumps are bloody good....

Old 07-02-2022, 01:04 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum45pete
personally I'm not bothered about originality if a quality
performance part is better than stock, as my Shovel was built from parts collected over many years, & is FAR from stock, (see pic)
but it is a pain that you cannot get a quality bolt on stock oil pump that you dont need to go buy a $70 drilling gig to fit, just for one hole !
i understand the reason of the hole, but at times you just want stock & the quality market is lacking, cheap asian pumps dont do it for me,
and although I do not like their Carbs, The S&S oil Pumps are bloody good....
You love bling, I dont. Too many left, right, up and down lines, ribs and contrasting colours going on for my taste.

I don't think the stock pumps were the root cause of an engine failure and they have been in use forever. Harley had to dial down the oil on a knuckle because it was getting too much to the top end (long story there). The engine mainly needs flow not much pressure and $70 is like a rounding error in the grand scheme of owning these bikes plus I like owning tools.

Old 07-02-2022, 01:51 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,292 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pococj
If you decide to do this, do something that means you'll open the valve before firing the bike. Maybe a flag that attaches to the valve handle, or better, a line that attaches from the valve handle to the ignition switch. Then ... don't get lazy!
Or just drain the oil when she's parked for an extended period and put some kind of reminder on the bike that can't be missed to put oil back in.
I'd always be worried about a shut off valve somehow accidentally getting closed or plugged some way or another.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:55 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't remember drilling a hole for the S&S pump, that doesn't mean I didn't, that was around 30 years ago when I put it on. I have an oil gauge, and when the oil got hot, there was almost no pressure, it was eating rings. The new S&S pump had/has good pressure all the time. I think its larger than the old. Sorry the pic is so big, I haven't figured out how to reduce them.

Quick Reply: Oil Shut off valve