Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil Shut off valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:21 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Final resolution and suggestion

Thanks for all the input.

I thought about it and decided you were all RIGHT.

First....I lapped and reset the ball valve. Installed a new ball, and a new spring from JP cycles. Actually, I believe I may have had the wrong spring in place which may have contributed to the problem. I keep all those ball valves and springs in a parts bin drawer and there may have been some cross pollination!!!!!!

I made a simple grinder by welding a new ball valve on the end of a short piece of 1/4 in stock. It worked very well. You can actually see the ring around the ball where the valve seat was smoothed.

After that.....DID add a shut off!!!! See pics below.

I experimented with several valves. Finally, I decided the plumbing department at Lowes had exactly what i was looking for. I bought a 3/8 two way straight through gate valve from Lowes along with a couple of male to 3/8 hose connectors. It was very easy to install and it works PERFECTLY. I opted for the blue handle since it matches the blue oil filter hanging off the front of the bike.

And since unlike fine wine, my memory isn't getting better with age, I wanted something that would be pretty obvious. When the blue handle is sticking OUT, and touching my thigh, it is CLOSED. When pushed in and pointing at the pump it is OPEN.

The next two pictures show how it looks on the bike. I think it looks pretty cool and I like it. Kind of ART DECO; mechanical and functional. My old horse isn't a beaty queent anyway. All function.

BUT, I did want to give it a steam punk kind of look and tried to make a heavy equipment hydraulic valve work. The last two pics are of that valve. I did not mount it because it is kind of big and heavy. Also, I needed to go to NAPA and have them make some fittings. I am actually considering going to solid steel oil lines....If I do that I will have NAPA make me all the fittings...Maybe next year. The last two pics are to give you an idea of the "Steam Punk" look.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

I would have tested your lapping job before adding the valve. BTW, a gate valve (and a globe valve) will restrict flow when open - you need a ball valve to get full flow.

rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Ah... that valves on a vent line not the feed to the pump and secondly skip the welding BS as the ball is never centered correctly and will wobble out the seat worse, just find an EVO pushrod. The ball on the end is the same diameter as the check ball and it's true when lapping.

Lastly, Dude, the red silicon ? seriously ? Clean that **** and use a little Permatex Ultra gray, it blends and seals better, doesn't stink something's burning for couple weeks and doesn't look like an over budweisered redneck got busy after a little nose candy.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
riggpigg (07-20-2019), rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

the fuel filter between the push rods ( rattling around ) s a nice touch when one is looking to set your self on fire at 60MPH

just a passing thought - tidy up your ideas dude

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
mr.precision (06-28-2022), rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ah... that valves on a vent line not the feed to the pump and secondly skip the welding BS as the ball is never centered correctly and will wobble out the seat worse, just find an EVO pushrod. The ball on the end is the same diameter as the check ball and it's true when lapping.

Lastly, Dude, the red silicon ? seriously ? Clean that **** and use a little Permatex Ultra gray, it blends and seals better, doesn't stink something's burning for couple weeks and doesn't look like an over budweisered redneck got busy after a little nose candy.
HOLY S--t BATMAN.....you are right about the vent line....sheesh.

That's what a get for doing this from memory. THAT will get fixed tomorrow. And YES.......I do feel like a moron.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The red on my exhaust pipe? Thats high temp gasket seal. Been using that crap for years and years. But hell, I"ll try something new.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,338 Likes on 1,683 Posts

^^^ Why in the Wide World of Sports , would you valve the vent??? [BTW that is the Tank Vent]
May as well plug the Crankcase Vent line... and let natural selection take over!!!!

Thanks One More Time Hawg

Last edited by Racepres; 07-19-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Back before i knew better and a shovel was just teenage 800buck transportation.....i just smacked a ball into the seat with a punch.....it worked most times... than was taught how to lap the seat. Now my give a fluck button is broke and i just leave a pan under all my bikes....even the 18 for no reason lol

rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 AM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 310 Posts

can it be lapped with the pump installed i would be worried lapping paste getting in to the oil thanks

Last edited by john lee; 07-20-2019 at 05:28 AM.
rockher_man (07-27-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

we use valve grinding compound to lap the ball - I am sure some morons think that's just fine to do it that way with the oil pump installed

they also make a tool we have that drops into the ball slot and re sets it buy pressing it - its a screw and special nut thing and it turns over as some are different

JUST know - the hitting the ball idea while it works on some it also cracks the oil pumps seat on others = Caution should be used with a hammer and an oil pump are concerned

Racepres (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
we use valve grinding compound to lap the ball - I am sure some morons think that's just fine to do it that way with the oil pump installed

they also make a tool we have that drops into the ball slot and re sets it buy pressing it - its a screw and special nut thing and it turns over as some are different

JUST know - the hitting the ball idea while it works on some it also cracks the oil pumps seat on others = Caution should be used with a hammer and an oil pump are concerned
Learned that the hard way as a teenager.....but than figured out the pump is so simple and if carful not even hurt gasket to pull it apart.

Quick Reply: Oil Shut off valve