Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Putting intake back together again

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Putting intake back together again

Now that the garage isn't a god awful ice box (going to have to insulate it soon before it gets too hot to go in there) its time to put things back together. I picked up the recommended intake upgrade kit, a new James gasket carb insulator gasket kit and some hylomar. A couple of questions on putting this all together:

Hylomar here? The black "o ring" replacement is a hard plastic. It is very snug against the intake manifold, as is the silicone ring. I'm guessing a very thin coat, maybe just wiped on with a finger tip?

(side note not thrilled with the failure of carb cleaner and elbow grease to fully clean the intake manifold. Also odd discoloration in spots inside although it is extremely smooth as it has been polished)

Next up, the insulator block. Again, just a very thin coat between everything? These look like really good gaskets that shouldn't really need any sealant, just a belt and suspenders arrangement.

These have me confused. 2 different carb to air cleaner gaskets? Same pattern, 2 different sizes. And the o-ring, the manual shows this as fitting into a groove in the carb to intake manifold surfaces - both are smooth.

Last question, when bolting the carb back to the intake manifold, I'm assuming blue locktite? Do I need to worry about anti-seize? I've never had to deal with a case of wanting both anti seize and locktite. Recommendations?

Thanks for bearing with all the newbie questions.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

inside the red and a bit around the plastic is what we do - you need gloves

the gasket that fits the holes in the carb is the one - and a light smear on the manifold stuff wont hurt but we don't on the air filter gasket

Old 04-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Nope Nope Nope...
Do it like the Good Book says... or... Oh well
O-rings is O-rings... Bands is Bands,
I much prefer the O-rings, and would Not Dream of basterdizing them...
I do Not understand all of this BS over Intakes... do it like the Book, and ensure you have the correct Clamps... those clamps are for O-ring...which will be fine for that manifold... if the heads are O-ring as well...
If the Heads are O-ring... Put it together the Correct way!!!!
If the Heads are Rubberband.... HTFU and get the correct manifold!!!!!

Old 04-06-2019, 05:04 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I can't get it back together. There isn't any give to put the whole assembly together. Nothing in the manual about reinstalling the intake manifold. Is there some trick to this? I'm tempted to toss the kit and call it a waste of $40.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

you install the two plastic collars then with both bands on install the front onto the head as far as it will go - then with a srewdriver flat end push the lip top the left side and push in - then the clamps

if you seen it done - daaaah

and race time has come and gone = your stuff is set in place by you and you turn the jugs and heads to align the spickets so they are straight and as close as possible

wanna bet his ain't

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-06-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:36 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you install the two plastic collars then with both bands on install the front onto the head as far as it will go - then with a srewdriver flat end push the lip top the left side and push in - then the clamps

if you seen it done - daaaah

and race time has come and gone = your stuff is set in place by you and you turn the jugs and heads to align the spickets so they are straight and as close as possible

wanna bet his ain't
It was dumber than that - I didn't realize you had to open and bend the clamps around afterwards. I had them loose but in place. Everything fit up nice and snug. Fuel line went and got expensive since the last time I bought any.