Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1969 FLH Shovelhead Build is a Radical Swingarm Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 785 Likes on 385 Posts
Default 1969 FLH Shovelhead Build is a Radical Swingarm Chopper

1969 FLH Shovelhead Build is a Radical Swingarm Chopper
By Bruce Montcombroux

Vintage Big Twin project was a learning curve.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,856 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I cant sell anything that looks like that - it is not what the kids want -- whats wrong

its a 79 FX or later swingarm frame my guess its how its titled and the engine is a re pop flatside - rear passenger peg mount and swing arm give away - they want hard tails no one has asked for a swingarm bobber

ok it has turned down fork tubes -- BUT they are also FX with the Chinese's wide stance 35MM tube front trees -- < you get laughed using it

the seat would not be a mans choice as the kids are too big to take that kind of hit on bumps

I always disliked that communist oil tank and it appears to be kick only why use an electric start china ugly oil tank

Mr leaky sold him those stupid rocker box nut things - first thing I remove and throw away first time the bike comes to the shop - not going to hear it was not leaking when I brought it in for a tire replacement

I don't see a pet **** on this side maybe someone else does - its a tunnel tank and maybe 1 1/2 gallons but you need two pet ***** to get it all - or when it stops you need to lay it on its side before it gets the other gas on the other side

and disc brake is also a no no with the guys we see - hyd rear drum sure but not disc

just picking some things out I see not a homeowner build at best and he had no money to spend

Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Johnny Mayday
HDF Town Crier
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Interesting observations. I never would have caught half of that stuff — that's why I love reading the forum!

Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,413 Likes on 1,728 Posts

No John... look again... I'm thinking 41mm front end.. But, Nothing I want... nor want to work on.. hell.... I like Brakes..
Tho I do have a Digger with a Girder...and one of the "legislated" 4 mechanical drums... Looks only me thinks..

Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,856 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I just did the bottom of the fork looks sporty to me but I have never even look at a newer bike since the early 90s

and spinning that leg they cut it straight up from the bottom a 41 top would be real thin at the seal

and the top fork to tree looks small to me but its a photo - so ok maybe your right but 39mm is my guess not 41

Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,413 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
I just did the bottom of the fork looks sporty to me but I have never even look at a newer bike since the early 90s

and spinning that leg they cut it straight up from the bottom a 41 top would be real thin at the seal

and the top fork to tree looks small to me but its a photo - so ok maybe your right but 39mm is my guess not 41
Maybe... Like ya say in a Photo it is difficult... like to my eye it resembles a shaved 41mm from old..and the trees??? IDK... When I see a Dual Flange Hub, with a re-laced 21" on it... I think shaved 41
And yet, it could be 39mm... which is much too new to me.. I haven't had a ton of experience with modifying 39's... I guess I don't really recall if they have Caps on one or both sides... 35mm being both sides..Showa's anyway..

Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,465 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Have to agree with john's original statement.. Crap seat, and 35mm front... Judging by the front down tubes the legs aren't much bigger. The only thing period correct would be the frame and the "tree's (possibly)" As for the tank, very possible it returns to the left side at the very rear of the tank. It appears to be above the back bone..

Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 AM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

I cant sell anything that looks like that - it is not what the kids want -- whats wrong

its a 79 FX or later swingarm frame my guess its how its titled and the engine is a re pop flatside - rear passenger peg mount and swing arm give away - they want hard tails no one has asked for a swingarm bobber

ok it has turned down fork tubes -- BUT they are also FX with the Chinese's wide stance 35MM tube front trees -- < you get laughed using it

the seat would not be a mans choice as the kids are too big to take that kind of hit on bumps

I always disliked that communist oil tank and it appears to be kick only why use an electric start china ugly oil tank

Mr leaky sold him those stupid rocker box nut things - first thing I remove and throw away first time the bike comes to the shop - not going to hear it was not leaking when I brought it in for a tire replacement

I don't see a pet **** on this side maybe someone else does - its a tunnel tank and maybe 1 1/2 gallons but you need two pet ***** to get it all - or when it stops you need to lay it on its side before it gets the other gas on the other side

and disc brake is also a no no with the guys we see - hyd rear drum sure but not disc

just picking some things out I see not a homeowner build at best and he had no money to spend
dang john is a wiz he just ripped this apart I'll take the tires and exhaust LOL

Old 04-06-2019, 01:17 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

"Radical Chopper" Looks like a pile of mis-matched spare parts.

The following users liked this post:
SparkyD (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM
slong
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built this for me, i didnt build it to sell to "the kids"
Its a 69 Frame. 66-69 Shovels were all Swing arm. The swingarm itself is a 70s model square style swing arm. Its got OEM cases and title.
they are 41mm fork tubes. Late model lower tree. Which is easy to pick out. 35mm are way skinnier. The fork legs are shaved late model lowers that were tapered.
The seat is actually really comfortable with the shocks.
Probably a repop oil tank yeah, but looks good. The chain would eat the back of the tank if it didnt have the cut out.
The Rocker box nuts have never leaked.
Theres only one petcock beause there are 2 cross overs. Holds 2 gallons. i dont have to tip it at all.
Disc brakes work great.

Like i mentioned, Its my bike, I used what I want. Garage Built. If you dont like it, Cool.

Quick Reply: 1969 FLH Shovelhead Build is a Radical Swingarm Chopper