Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

High compression pistons VS. stroker

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:33 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default High compression pistons VS. stroker

you’d think after riding since 79 I’d know the answer to this question.

So, as winter approaches I’m looking to do a little performance increase via cam, carburetor and either high compression pistons or stroker kit. Stroker kits increase compression and so do high compression pistons. The only difference I can see is volume: a stroker will give a big boost in volume vs. high compression pistons. How much performance difference is there between high compression pistons vs. stroker. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

This is all being done on a 72 FLH.

Last edited by Bill wallace; 09-15-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

High compression pistons will increase your power output but also increase the tendency for pre-ignition (spark knock). There can also be problems with valve to piston clearance if running an extremely high lift cam.
Stroker engines do usually have increased compression. They give you more torque due to the mechanical advantage they provide as well as the increase in displacement. They can and I'm gonna say often do vibrate more than the stock stroke.

The following 3 users liked this post by megawatt:
Bill wallace (09-15-2018), rockher_man (02-09-2020), TwiZted Biker (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Hannibal Smith
Tourer
Received 359 Likes on 163 Posts

I kind of did both. My cases were factory 1979, so I don't like to punch them out and just left the factory case bore.

The jugs are set up for a 3.5" piston.

I went with S&S HC pistons (for a 4 5/8 stroke) but I have a 4.5" stroke. I then trimmed the jugs to split the difference. What I ended up with was around 10:1 with a 4.5 stroke. Nothing crazy in my opinion. It's got plenty of power, and doesn't knock with 91 octane.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hannibal Smith:
Bill wallace (09-15-2018), rockher_man (02-09-2020)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,103 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill wallace
you’d think after riding since 79 I’d know the answer to this question.

So, as winter approaches I’m looking to do a little performance increase via cam, carburetor and either high compression pistons or stroker kit. Stroker kits increase compression and so do high compression pistons. The only difference I can see is volume: a stroker will give a big boost in volume vs. high compression pistons. How much performance difference is there between high compression pistons vs. stroker. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

This is all being done on a 72 FLH.
All things equal, a higher compression ratio increases torque only. Increasing displacement with a longer stroke will increase both torque and HP. An advantage that I like with a longer stroke is a smaller piston dome which improves the burn in the chamber. In the case of a harley it makes a terrible design a little less crappy.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:04 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,588 Likes on 3,030 Posts

High compression means more heat. Are you (and your 46 year old motorcycle) ready to deal with more heat?

I have a riding buddy who has A LOT of bikes. He only rides his older stuff during fall/winter/spring months, to reduce stress on old running gear. Something to think about...

The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,103 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
High compression means more heat. Are you (and your 46 year old motorcycle) ready to deal with more heat?

I have a riding buddy who has A LOT of bikes. He only rides his older stuff during fall/winter/spring months, to reduce stress on old running gear. Something to think about...
Whats considered high and what cam is being used? Im running 9:1 which is high compared to stock but Im not running a stock cam. The intake valve closing time determines dynamic compression ratio (usable compression ratio) which effects torque and heat. I could have a similar dynamic compression ratio to stock with my 9:1 pistons and an appropriate cam so heat generation would be a moot point.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,899 Likes on 18,964 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ

All things being equal ( almost ) my stroked shovel doesn't seem to throw off any more heat than my twin cam ...

TwiZted Biker (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 2,946 Posts

just like with woman more inches is better -

on another note todays gas has me in my shop doing things unthinkable years back - like I favor no more then 8 1/2 but increase the duration with that as well, the best combo we do is the 89 its the cats *** - knuckle - pan - shovel and the evo all love the 4 - 5/8 stroke - 74 = 86 or 80 = 89 inch both are just fine with 8 or 8 1/2 to one = and will run 75 thousand miles between overhauls - all bets are off if your an idiot

Bill wallace (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,117 Likes on 1,551 Posts

As said... no Substitute for Cubic Inches... especially when torque or Rideability is desired... now Horsepower... Horsepower is a Product of RPM [look at how it is measured] We call it "pops per quarter mile" certainly Not a product of longer stroke.. All of this assumes you know exactly what you intend to accomplish. Drag Racing??? short stroke/big bore spin it hard= Win!!! Fun to ride = Stroker... downside being more stroke equals more vibration, and harder on driveline parts [assuming you actually use it]. A simple compression increase... within reason [no spark knock] along with the correct cam... = good , cheap. Fun!! Downside=No Braggging.
Choose yer poison... only Jap Bike guys Brag about Horsepower!!!! For good reason!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Racepres:
Bill wallace (09-16-2018), rockher_man (02-09-2020)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

as we know I run 11:1 compression - it has a L-3 cam - dual plugs -- the squish is set at .003 - I can run 87 octane and no knock -- in the heat down here I replaced the stock oil cooler and added a bigger one and it has a electric fan with a probe that goes in the oil -- I set it for 190 and the fan comes on.. it only comes on in traffic but im glad I have it (have to take a pic) -- mine is big bore short stroke - I like the zippy out the hole through the gears -- not really interested in top end -- I have a J-2 and a L-5 if I want that -- I also have 2 old sifton cams a 468S and a 468+ -- I wanna try the 468S but right now it runs to good --

Bill wallace (09-16-2018)

Quick Reply: High compression pistons VS. stroker