Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:45 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

the metal / paper can that is closed at the bottom in my experience only works in some bikes not ALL

but they all work as a partial filtration as that is how they expected it to function

when the oil is dead cold the pump makes 100 psi on the inlet side of the system / it also by passes the filter and goes directly into the tank - then hot maybe close to zero but it has flow to the entire engine - this is how its designed to BE - try and not fix what is not broken is the way I see it

Old 04-28-2019, 01:59 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the metal / paper can that is closed at the bottom in my experience only works in some bikes not ALL

but they all work as a partial filtration as that is how they expected it to function

when the oil is dead cold the pump makes 100 psi on the inlet side of the system / it also by passes the filter and goes directly into the tank - then hot maybe close to zero but it has flow to the entire engine - this is how its designed to BE - try and not fix what is not broken is the way I see it
LOL i couldn't agree more...that is also my motto, don't fix what's not broke.

The purpose of this discussion was to determine if the oil pump was functioning properly...so one of the ways suggested was to check to see if it was returning oil.

But I like your suggestion to ride for a while and check if oil is hot....simple way to provide evidence of proper oil circulation through the system.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:58 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
Make sure Her vent and return hoses are on the correct tank fittings.
Sounds like they may be reversed.
What Id do is remove Her oil filter,then check the flow again,with cap off.This way You can see where Shes returning oil to tank fer sure.
Pull Her plugs if Ya don't want Her to start,plus this will give Ya more RPMs to help see flow in tank.
Just tryin to help..I know Racepres and/or Hellonewman will set me straight if I'm wrong.

Of course Ya can simply touch the oil tank and/or oil cooler to see if they feel hot.
Thanks 60...always appreciate your input.

Johnjzjz is the guru on here so I tend to follow his advice,..if he provides one.....not that I don't trust or appreciate the opinions of others., but he knows the tricks of the trade.

With all advice on the forum, you always need to do your own research to verify the information because it is your bike and if you do something wrong based on what someone said on here....it's on you and no one else.

Last edited by hscic; 04-28-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
60weight (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:13 AM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Your welcome Hscic..
Its nice to see that there's a guru here that you trust. I'm curious,after reading this..
"Tried to check the return after removing the quart of oil...checked it by turning the motor over and while idling.
When turning to motor over, the oil squirted up the center thru the filter element however did not see anything obvious coming out of the return. I should have just covered the center and turn it over a little more.
When bike was idling, couldn't even open the cap otherwise the oil would pour out as I loosened the cap.....since the cap was closed, logically the oil that overflowed as I loosened the cap came from the return. What do you'all think?"
And this,
"The purpose of this discussion was to determine if the oil pump was functioning properly"

Would He recommend verifying that all of the oil line/hoses are in good condition and routed exactly as they should be..or just hopping
on Your Shovel and riding it till something gets hot? Also it would be nice to find out what He considers to be the best oils and filters.
After all You don't seem to trust the Indy that worked on Her the last time...obviously they didn't bother checking Her crankcase screen..and put way to much oil in Her.
Your thread here is one of my favorites,I really enjoy reading it!
Thats why I try to offer suggestions,as in what I would do.
And I'm a apologist when I screw up.(try to be)
Anyhoo,like I said..I'm out of here if I bother anyone!

Last edited by 60weight; 04-29-2019 at 01:06 PM.
hscic (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:26 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Your welcome Hscic..
Its nice to see that there's a guru here that you trust. I'm curious,after reading this..
"Tried to check the return after removing the quart of oil...checked it by turning the motor over and while idling.
When turning to motor over, the oil squirted up the center thru the filter element however did not see anything obvious coming out of the return. I should have just covered the center and turn it over a little more.
When bike was idling, couldn't even open the cap otherwise the oil would pour out as I loosened the cap.....since the cap was closed, logically the oil that overflowed as I loosened the cap came from the return. What do you'all think?"
And this,
"The purpose of this discussion was to determine if the oil pump was functioning properly"
Would He recommend verifying that all of the oil line/hoses are in good condition and routed exactly as they should be..or just hopping
on Your Shovel and riding it till something gets hot? Also it would be nice to find out what He considers to be the best oils and filters.
After all You don't seem to trust the Indy that worked on Her the last time...obviously they didn't bother checking Her crankcase screen..and put way to much oil in Her.
Your thread here is one of my favorites,I really enjoy reading it!
Thats why I try to offer suggestions,as in what I would do.
And I'm a apologist when I screw up.(try to be)
Anyhoo,like I said..I'm out of here if I bother anyone!
Thanks...all advice and opinions are welcomed on my thread.

I consider all advice, do research if it is critical, and make a decision on best route for me.

I do have a service and parts manual for reference.....however, sometimes i can't find it or just difficult to understand so I ask the question on here...even if it may be a dumb question to others. At times, if there is some doubt as to the route I am taking, I just ask a friend who is the part guru at the dealership since he has several vintage bikes and familiar with shovels..

So no worries...keep it coming.

btw do you still have your Ironhead? what bikes do you have now?

Last edited by hscic; 04-29-2019 at 11:45 AM.
60weight (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 AM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

There's a few Ironhead's in every room here..lol.. I don't tell anyone what Shovels (or hoes) are out in the shop

Heres some eye candy,a project in the works..79 XLCH with both kicker and button start.

Last edited by 60weight; 04-29-2019 at 02:12 PM.
hscic (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

There's a few Ironhead's in every room here..lol.. I don't tell anyone what Shovels (or hoes) are out in the shop

Ah I remember that pic....you are married to your bikes and they live in the house with you! But why not show off those shovels?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

heres some eye candy,a project in the works..79 XLCH with both kicker and button start.

My first bike was a 1979 XLH, electric and kick start. Damn that bike was a PITA, but I was 17 and stupid as well. Pic with my brother's Shovel, I would guess, 1988 ish in Maspeth, Queens. And yeh we always parked on the sidewalk. Not even my fahter's house, that is us in front of the neighbors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
Frog Nuts (04-30-2019), hscic (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Architect,
Thats a great picture!
Well built houses with full basements..and a Sporty with factory paint on Her tins.
Very nice Shovel also. Ill bet Your Brother had a bit of a hard time keeping up with Your Ironhead.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Those sporties haven't changed much in the looks department...no kickstart on this one....,my 80 XLH that I bought for 800 and sold for $3500

Last edited by hscic; 04-30-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Frog Nuts (04-30-2019)

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead