Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 05:42 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Removed about a 1 qt from the tank....it is now to the top line of the stick which appears to be about 1" from the top of the tank so still full. I don't know what the independent was thinking....needless to say, that was the first and last time I go to him.

Tried to check the return after removing the quart of oil...checked it by turning the motor over and while idling.

When turning to motor over, the oil squirted up the center thru the filter element however did not see anything obvious coming out of the return. I should have just covered the center and turn it over a little more.

When bike was idling, couldn't even open the cap otherwise the oil would pour out as I loosened the cap.....since the cap was closed, logically the oil that overflowed as I loosened the cap came from the return. What do you'all think?

Last edited by hscic; 04-27-2019 at 08:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
60weight (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,822 Likes on 3,008 Posts

drive it around for 10 minuets if the oil is hot - forget ah bout it -

hscic (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
drive it around for 10 minuets if the oil is hot - forget ah bout it -
Makes sense....I like it. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:39 PM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like She has a brand new oil pump.
Maybe a S&S

Old 04-28-2019, 02:02 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
Sounds like She has a brand new oil pump.
Maybe a S&S
definitely not new.....don't see any markings on the pump.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,322 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Removed about a 1 qt from the tank....it is now to the top line of the stick which appears to be about 1" from the top of the tank so still full. I don't know what the independent was thinking....needless to say, that was the first and last time I go to him.

Tried to check the return after removing the quart of oil...checked it by turning the motor over and while idling.

When turning to motor over, the oil squirted up the center thru the filter element however did not see anything obvious coming out of the return. I should have just covered the center and turn it over a little more.

When bike was idling, couldn't even open the cap otherwise the oil would pour out as I loosened the cap.....since the cap was closed, logically the oil that overflowed as I loosened the cap came from the return. What do you'all think?
Doing what it is supposed to...on return... remember the oil pump must Push the oil thru the Oil Filter.. around the outside as stock... Oil up the center???? I don't like that... Even if it is returning properly... is the Tank properly Vented??? I'm trying to figger what can push oil up from the bottom of tank... But, if Just a Bubble or Something... Not a Concern... if it flows somehow... I'm confused...
Gonna think on this part.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
Doing what it is supposed to...on return... remember the oil pump must Push the oil thru the Oil Filter.. around the outside as stock... Oil up the center???? I don't like that... Even if it is returning properly... is the Tank properly Vented??? I'm trying to figger what can push oil up from the bottom of tank... But, if Just a Bubble or Something... Not a Concern... if it flows somehow... I'm confused...
Gonna think on this part.
It is not a constant flow...it is a bubble.....I did not crank it (turn it over) long since I did not want the bike to start. When I push the start button, oil bubbles over and when I release the button, it goes back down and disappears.... like it pushes oil up on the stroke (if that is the right terminology).

This is how my oil lines are routed. I modified the pic to include the oil cooler.

I think if the cap was on it would push oil in the opposite direction though the feed on the bottom (#1 in the pic).

At the time I modified the pic, I was trying find where the primary return hose (#8) was connected to the pump since that hose was leaking and had to be replaced. I also had to find if the PO disconnected the chain oiler (#7 which he did) since I had to be sure the chain was lubricated. And where the crankcase breather hose (#5) was routed to identify the hose routed under the bike to the atmosphere. All a part of my learning process.

I like John's suggestion to ride then check if the oil is hot would provide enough evidence that the oil is being circulated properly. Although I do not have an oil temp gauge, will use a infrared heat sensor gun to check oil temp. Room temp oil is currently at 82 degrees.

Last edited by hscic; 04-28-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 AM
60weight
Cruiser

What type of oil filter is in her now.. metal like this?

Last edited by 60weight; 04-28-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:57 AM
60weight
Cruiser

Or this type,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Oil-...-/351273230985

Make sure Her vent and return hoses are on the correct tank fittings.
Sounds like they may be reversed.
What Id do is remove Her oil filter,then check the flow again,with cap off.This way You can see where Shes returning oil to tank fer sure.
Pull Her plugs if Ya don't want Her to start,plus this will give Ya more RPMs to help see flow in tank.
Just tryin to help..I know Racepres and/or Hellonewman will set me straight if I'm wrong.

Last,have You seen these,
https://www.ebay.com/i/252294169739?chn=ps
Of course Ya can simply touch the oil tank and/or oil cooler to see if they feel hot.

Last edited by 60weight; 04-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.
hscic (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:48 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
Or this type,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Oil-...-/351273230985

Make sure Her vent and return hoses are on the correct tank fittings.

Last,have You seen these,
https://www.ebay.com/i/252294169739?chn=ps
The filter is OEM type

I did order an oil temp dip stick gauge to check temp from time to time....but do not intend to keep it on the bike as it is not correct for the bike. I had a gauge dip stick on my twinkie and hated it...I could not even see the oil on the stick and the stick had no fill lines so I put back the stock dip stick....perhaps just aging eye sight.

Last edited by hscic; 04-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead