Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by john lee
always problems with non genuine parts
agree, but Paughco supposedly has good quality products.

Just received a response again from Paughco, and they want me to send back my pipe set....so I am assuming they are willing to repair or replace.​​​​​​

Last edited by hscic; 02-27-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:44 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
agree, but Paughco supposedly has good quality products.

Just received a response again from Paughco, and they want me to send back my pipe set....so I am assuming they are willing to repair or replace.​​​​​​
ive heard there good too even in australia

Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Are you putting bags on? Im asking because Im picturing two of those mufflers (without fishtails), bags seem to go hand in hand with dual exhaust.
Although I do not intend to install saddlebags, buddy seat, or windshield/fairings, if the muffler looks out of place i.e. too long....I may look into OEM saddlebags I have already priced out and can get a set and brackets for about $500 but would need to send them to my painter to paint them either black or color-match my tins..

Old 02-28-2019, 06:07 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,487 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Although I do not intend to install saddlebags, buddy seat, or windshield/fairings, if the muffler looks out of place i.e. too long....I may look into OEM saddlebags I have already priced out and can get a set and brackets for about $500 but would need to send them to my painter to paint them either black or color-match my tins..
So you've been stewing about how it'll look! I would match your tins if you went with bags. That or rethink your exhaust choice and run different mufflers or go with a 2-1. The mufflers you were putting on do look overpowering to me but thats just my opinion and will only look right with bags. It'll actually look like a Road King Twinkie when you're done (did I mention I love my Twinkie?)

I've run into situations where Im struggling with the look of something Im working on and one wrong choice leads to a compromise after a compromise to make up for that wrong choice. When I finally give into my gut and scrap my entire idea I feel a weight is lifted and then I get the look I was after in the first place, should've listened to my gut. You dont want bags you said it yourself so dont get bags to make up for an exhaust that isn't doing it for you or leaves something to be desired. If they're taking the system back you might be able to exchange it for something that looks right to you?

Last edited by hellonewman; 02-28-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:19 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,487 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Clearly Im biased but I love the look of the 2-1 on mine and I like how it sounds too.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

Nice! And it appears to mount to the frame tab that others have been talking about.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:49 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

I would love to run my bike with no bags, the bags hide so much of the rear fender, back wheel etc. But I bought my bike as a stocker, seems silly to start removing pieces. If I was starting with your bike, bags are not happening. I love the look of the drum brake bikes, see the entire wheel from the right side, looks great. Worth sticking with a drum brake just for the look. Whenever I take my bags off to clean the bike, I really feel like leaving them off. Also since this is my two up vintage bike, bags come in handy with the Mrs. Just another reason that I need to go find me a nice Duo Glide. More first world problems.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Bags...No Bags?
Windscreen, No Windscreen?
One needs 2 Bikes... Problem solved!!!!!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Racepres - lol yup 2 bikes would be nice...or 3 or 4 .

hellownewman/architect - as mentioned, my goals is to get the bike as original/correct as possible on the outside without the bags, buddy seat, and windshield/fairings. The dual crossover pipes were my last to-do to accomplish this goal. The muffler (repop OEM 65242-70B) is correct for my bike....I also thought of using fishtails which would look better without bags as I have seen many, but fishtails according to the manual were for bikes up to '66 and I am not a fan of fishtails, no offense intended. So if the correct mufflers are too overpowering, saddlebags would keep the bike correct and reslove the issue. Since I was only looking at one side, who knows, it may look fine with with both sides on.....there will definitely not be many running this set-up i.e. correct exhaust system without bags (and I like being different/unique) so will not look like all the other bikes using fishtails without bags if you know what I mean....all those twinkie softail deluxe with fishtails..

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...w=1920&bih=937

Last edited by hscic; 02-28-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 439 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Bags...No Bags?
Windscreen, No Windscreen?
One needs 2 Bikes... Problem solved!!!!!
for me, having a few bikes hasn't really "solved" problems.... lol

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead