Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Gas tank leak, Repair of the leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Saun
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gas tank leak, Repair of the leak repair

My '83 FXDG gas tank has developed a leak, and upon inspection it was discovered that a previous owner sometime in the past has attempted a repair.
So, I am going to attempt to repair the repair or, more correctly, remove the previous repair attempt and to make a proper leak repair, short of tank replacement.
I have attached two photos. One is of a portion of the previous repair material that I removed.The repair material is only on the bottom portion of the tank, not completely covering the whole interior of the tank. The material appears to be some sort of epoxy that eventually delaminated from the metal.
The second photo is of the interior in the general area where the material was removed.
I have several questions:

1. What is the best way to remove the remaining repair material, if it can be removed at all?

2. What is the best method of prepping (Cleaning) the tank for the new repair material so that it bonds completely?

3. What is the best method and brand of repair material to for making a permanent repair?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,440 Likes on 2,773 Posts

We just had this conversation on another thread. Find yourself a local old school radiator shop. They will clean and seal the tank for you.

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,189 Likes on 5,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Find yourself a local old school radiator shop.
Sadly since most new radiators are not repairable, and a new one cost less than $100 ...that and EPA regulations to depose of the chemicals...shops that actually repair radiators are virtually extinct.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,413 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
We just had this conversation on another thread. Find yourself a local old school radiator shop. They will clean and seal the tank for you.
I heartily agree especially, the Old School type
But, I made a Temporary repair about 3 years ago with Seals-All
No Immitations, the real stuff... Think I'll leave it awhile yet, as I ain't ready for Paint!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 02-14-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Sadly since most new radiators are not repairable, and a new one cost less than $100 ...that and EPA regulations to depose of the chemicals...shops that actually repair radiators are virtually extinct.
Agreed, I had to go to the next County to find a guy. He went from being a Radiator Repair Shop to a vintage car and bike tank repair guy. Good for him, all of his competition retired and he made a niche for himself. If you are the only guy in two counties, there will be enough vintage vehicles to keep you busy. And he is busy.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Saun
Advanced

Hey Architect,
Trouble is, we're about as far from each other as we can get in the lower 48.
I'll see if any shops are available in my area, otherwise I may just solder it.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Agreed on the issue with distance. Me from a small island of the coast of NY, you on the opposite corner of the country. Google is your friend, good luck.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,999 Likes on 17,905 Posts

Originally Posted by Saun
Hey Architect,
Trouble is, we're about as far from each other as we can get in the lower 48.
I'll see if any shops are available in my area, otherwise I may just solder it.
Solder isn't going to work so don't waste your time. Pop in a pic of the outside area that needs repair, I've welded more shovel tanks than I care to remember, my sig bike's have been repaired twice.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:45 PM
Saun
Advanced

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Solder isn't going to work so don't waste your time. Pop in a pic of the outside area that needs repair, I've welded more shovel tanks than I care to remember, my sig bike's have been repaired twice.
You're correct, soldering doesn't work.
What I wound up doing is brazing the area.
I've already reinstalled the left tank that had the problem and I didn't take any photos. My bad.
The leak was in the area near the petcock opening. It appeared to be a small crack about a quarter inch long, like the tank may have been dropped at one time and they tried to repair it with a JB Weld type of material that finally delaminated.
Brazing seems to have done the trick so far. The trick is to really get the area clean so there is good adhesion with the two metals. Time will tell.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:58 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Saun
You're correct, soldering doesn't work.
What I wound up doing is brazing the area.
I've already reinstalled the left tank that had the problem and I didn't take any photos. My bad.
The leak was in the area near the petcock opening. It appeared to be a small crack about a quarter inch long, like the tank may have been dropped at one time and they tried to repair it with a JB Weld type of material that finally delaminated.
Brazing seems to have done the trick so far. The trick is to really get the area clean so there is good adhesion with the two metals. Time will tell.

BINGO..... Before brazing, use a very fine drill bit (approx. #55 .052) , drill a small hole at each end of the crack (this will prevent the crack from walking when heat is applied).

Quick Reply: Gas tank leak, Repair of the leak repair