Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,444 Likes on 3,631 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the A2 Andrews cam is a go to for me in the shop as its more in the spot your driving to enjoy the ride - now blasting it - it does fall short as its not that type of cam

lineweber cams forget the letters numbers something like L3S I am thinking is purported to be the end all in shovel cams, I installed it and yes the thing works better then anything else I have used

black widow cams is another he is re making all the original sifton grinds in USA metal not balsa wood like the India V Twin sifton cams < don't get what going on with that

9 to 1 is also an electric start piston and they do make a hi torque starter 1.7 amps instead of the .9 amp you now have and it does the job so like all things Harley the HD stands for hundred dollars and you can do it
John, Leinweber lists their cams at .020 that L3S is 33/59 66/26 was does that translate to@.053"?

Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,498 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
John, Leinweber lists their cams at .020 that L3S is 33/59 66/26 was does that translate to@.053"?
If you're trying to compare apples to apples with cam specs its difficult. Valve opening rate isn't known or published which has a huge effect on low lift flow. Not sure where you arrived at .053" unless it was on the cam card. .050" is typical but for those who don't know, the cam manufacturer is just trying to get you to a point on the lobe ramp with significant lift for accurate degreeing purposes. It does indicate "intensity" between advertised and net duration but again, valve opening rate is critical and two cams with identical opening and closing times (seat timing) can have very different opening and closing rates.

Last edited by hellonewman; 12-09-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,853 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
If you're trying to compare apples to apples with cam specs its difficult. Valve opening rate isn't known or published which has a huge effect on low lift flow. Not sure where you arrived at .053" unless it was on the cam card. .050" is typical but for those who don't know, the cam manufacturer is just trying to get you to a point on the lobe ramp with significant lift for accurate degreeing purposes. It does indicate "intensity" between advertised and net duration but again, valve opening rate is critical and two cams with identical opening and closing times (seat timing) can have very different opening and closing rates.

while your correct - Harley does everything different - .053 is the normal setting for valve info with almost every cam for a Harley - crane was the lead on that as cars and bikes should be and are different

in my opinion - the roller cams built for Harleys if you use the lower numbers the asymmetrical dip shows up on a dial but at of .053 its already flat lined so it almost disappears - and thats a good thing

giving you understand camshaft info in depth, giving the public too much info would just clog the telephone none stop - and they still would not get it - reason the .053 works

Old 12-09-2017, 06:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,853 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I just did 13 hours in the shop and my head is buzzed - I don't have a hand help adding machine or I could do it for you - be back at it in the morning will try and remember to cross it for you

BUT the advertised numbers are the real deal in any cam calculation hahahaha and no one talks about that set of numbers

Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Harley does everything different - .053 is the normal setting for valve info with almost every cam for a Harley - crane was the lead on that as cars and bikes should be and are different

Thanks! Always learning new things

Old 12-09-2017, 07:46 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

it's really not that difficult to compare apples to apples when lifts and durations are starting and ending at the same point.. .053"... I also fully understand rate of ramp and how it affects flow. Different manufacturers use different grinds, it's their way of marking their product and name. One can tell the difference in cam ramp rates by looking at lift@tdc. It will give you a good idea (not exact) as to how quick the valve opens. We all know that a quicker opening valve will bring the power band in sooner. Fast ramping cams can take their toll on valve trains but it is part of the formula to making good power sooner... That's why we need a constant variable like .053"

I just did 13 hours in the shop and my head is buzzed - I don't have a hand help adding machine or I could do it for you - be back at it in the morning will try and remember to cross it for you

BUT the advertised numbers are the real deal in any cam calculation hahahaha and no one talks about that set of numbers
Sorry you had such a long day....I as well. Been working 6 days a week for 7 weeks now.. I'll try to see what I can find googling.... Thanx..

Funny, I forgot to mention that A2 cam@9.0:1 is exactly what I had in my 77 shovel. Worked great but did go to the Andrews #2 cam. A little milder and more suited for 9.0:1 comp...

One more thing I would like to add is that A2 cam really did sound like it belonged in a shovel... Great idle and throttle response... Lumpy.....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-09-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:43 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

[QUOTE=98hotrodfatboy;16896398]it's really not that difficult to compare apples to apples when lifts and durations are starting and ending at the same point.. .053"... .[/QUOTE

Lift, duration and valve events tell you only a fraction of what a cam is doing and theres so much going on after .050 or .053 lift especially on a roller cam.. Plotting a cam on a chart or using a cam doctor which measures it is the only way to really know (maybe you know this but it doesn't mean everyone here does which is why it doesn't hurt to share the info). Im one that likes to know the details and its what separates a good engine you think is great from a really great one. A cam is what puts the magic in an engine.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=hellonewman;16897028]
it's really not that difficult to compare apples to apples when lifts and durations are starting and ending at the same point.. .053"... .[/QUOTE

Lift, duration and valve events tell you only a fraction of what a cam is doing and theres so much going on after .050 or .053 lift especially on a roller cam.. Plotting a cam on a chart or using a cam doctor which measures it is the only way to really know (maybe you know this but it doesn't mean everyone here does which is why it doesn't hurt to share the info). Im one that likes to know the details and its what separates a good engine you think is great from a really great one. A cam is what puts the magic in an engine.
I totally agree... Not trying to make this a pissing contest.... All I ever do is try to help....

Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=98hotrodfatboy;16897154]

I totally agree... Not trying to make this a pissing contest.... All I ever do is try to help....
Wasn't my intent either

Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=hellonewman;16899843]

Wasn't my intent either
Cool...

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build