Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 04:24 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
gramps has owned quite a few XLH that came with a nacelle - bags - windshield - spot lights - touring 2 up seat with the back grab rail - rear fender directional bar - and the banana boat gas tank

almost forget those bars
thers a1965 XLB for sale here in Oz at the moment. with all the bags etc.looks original...............sorry for hijacking the thread here

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1965-Har...YAAOSwKpNeG6nW

Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

hi jacking a Canadian thread is always funny - anytime is a good time

yea the pre electric start and 6 volt - looks very original and those bags are really hard to find, as they are smaller then the FL bags and you never seem to get the brackets - actually all the dresser stuff -- another easy find if your a time traveler

Old 01-18-2020, 05:06 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

hi jacking a Canadian thread is always funny - anytime is a good time

yea the pre electric start and 6 volt - looks very original and those bags are really hard to find, as they are smaller then the FL bags and you never seem to get the brackets - actually all the dresser stuff -- another easy find if your a time traveler
They didn't sell many setups like that because even girls didn't want them....

Old 01-18-2020, 05:24 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

I sort of abandoned my original tank I was making because I assumed it just didn't have the volume I needed. So Ive been looking up various tanks and nothing really grabbed me plus buying a premade tank bothered me a bit. I liked the lowbrow split tanks as a starting point the best but like most aftermarket places they fell down in the fit department. For whatever reason the cutout at the rear thats supposed to clear the backbone sits way above it so the tank sits too high at the rear where it meets the seat. Why? They dont even need the cutout.

The problem with tank selection is the big speedo boss on the frame which lead to a tunnel in my tank you could drive a truck through. I loved the shape but bummed about the possible capacity. Rather than finish the tank and find it holds a gallon I taped it up and added a liter of water at a time and the thing holds 15L! For the yankees here that's a hair under 4 US gallons. I was shocked it held that much and now Im sold on finishing the tank.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Wow time flies, took this pic March 2018. I wanted the tank to follow the shape of the engine which meant I had to make it that way, yes its been done before because it looks cool. Part of me still likes the big headlight cowl but I like the simple understated look of the wideglide light too.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:12 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
They didn't sell many setups like that because even girls didn't want them....

that's when men were men and the Canadians were afraid wearing their plaid shorts the two weeks its not snowing that is - and they actually did sell quite a few

Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

that's when men were men and the Canadians were afraid wearing their plaid shorts the two weeks its not snowing that is - and they actually did sell quite a few

hook, line and sinker......thanks for the laugh

Old 01-19-2020, 03:39 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Quickly hit my homemade tank with some satin black paint, all I had on hand and I put the morris magneto in to have a look. Im happy.

Im bummed I have to run a front fender though, they're kind sticky about it up here and it gives them good reason to pull me over.

Last edited by hellonewman; 01-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Architect (01-20-2020), johnny_bravo00 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:35 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

You really do great work! All of your builds are stunning. I gotta say that if I was riding this bobber, I would have to put a roller skate on my right foot.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:46 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by flhchaz
You really do great work! All of your builds are stunning. I gotta say that if I was riding this bobber, I would have to put a roller skate on my right foot.
Thanks

I might need a roller skate too, we'll see. I have a 36" inseam so once I move the controls down and forward not to mention a seat things will be very different. Last resort is this manifold but I dont like it as much as the current one.

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build