Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,486 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by john lee
ive got similar on my lowrider quiet comfortable
I wanted to run bars with the internal throttle. I couldn't find any and I had these extras kicking around with not so great chrome.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:38 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

and I realize the twinkie comment was meant for

you took sporty bars and bent them in to a narrow version of dresser bars ---- very cool I will have to remember that I have had the need for that very cool idea

Old 01-13-2020, 07:40 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
and I realize the twinkie comment was meant for

you took sporty bars and bent them in to a narrow version of dresser bars ---- very cool I will have to remember that I have had the need for that very cool idea
Yes you got the message loud and clear.....

Regardless of what I did, its all been done a thousand times long before I was even born. You can only do so much with such a simple machine and be able to ride it unlike the show bikes we see featured on the home page. What matters to me is I did it and I didn't intentionally copy something just like the road king classic 5" rim on a midstar hub with a tubular arm. Maybe its been done but I haven't seen it. And the bars were FL not sporty, get out your magnifying glass gramps .

Old 01-13-2020, 07:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,840 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Yes you got the message loud and clear.....

Regardless of what I did, its all been done a thousand times long before I was even born. You can only do so much with such a simple machine and be able to ride it unlike the show bikes we see featured on the home page. What matters to me is I did it and I didn't intentionally copy something just like the road king classic 5" rim on a midstar hub with a tubular arm. Maybe its been done but I haven't seen it. And the bars were FL not sporty, get out your magnifying glass gramps .
gramps has owned quite a few XLH that came with a nacelle - bags - windshield - spot lights - touring 2 up seat with the back grab rail - rear fender directional bar - and the banana boat gas tank

almost forget those bars

Old 01-14-2020, 06:27 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
gramps has owned quite a few XLH that came with a nacelle - bags - windshield - spot lights - touring 2 up seat with the back grab rail - rear fender directional bar - and the banana boat gas tank

almost forget those bars

You at 6'3" 270lbs riding a sportster that looks like a decker, bet you got lots of looks.....

Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Bike has a really good stance, nice. But I have no idea where your leg is going to be when done, but you will figure it out.

I have the Exile Cycles internal throttle on my wide glide, well made piece. basically a copy of the HD spiral, but with a roller bearing and other nicely machined bits. Will work with a one cable setup with a carb utilizing a return spring. Been on my bike for at least 10 years. Just gotta cut a couple of inches off the end of your bars. Not sure how it will work out with the chrome rings you are trying to keep, but anything is possible. Carry on.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Architect
Bike has a really good stance, nice. But I have no idea where your leg is going to be when done, but you will figure it out.

I have the Exile Cycles internal throttle on my wide glide, well made piece. basically a copy of the HD spiral, but with a roller bearing and other nicely machined bits. Will work with a one cable setup with a carb utilizing a return spring. Been on my bike for at least 10 years. Just gotta cut a couple of inches off the end of your bars. Not sure how it will work out with the chrome rings you are trying to keep, but anything is possible. Carry on.
I ran the stock spiral on my 66 with a (Barnet?) cable for the S&S so I thought the same would work on the weber. Do I have to cut the bar to run the bearing type? If not Ill put one in the 66 as well.

Lowering the foot controls and not sitting directly on the frame will all help with my clearance I think.

I just looked on line at the Exile cycles throttle, Ill look into it

Thank you!

Last edited by hellonewman; 01-14-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:51 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

I want to say I had to cut 2" off the bars, it was a long time ago. They send clear directions, it was a super specific dimension like 1-11/16" or something like that. it can be welded in place or a set screw. I used the set screw and never looked back. Might work with leaving the stock collars on your bars so both sides look the same. For me there is no reason to have an exposed throttle cable on a custom bike, just messy.

PS I tried the cheaper one from J&P, total POS, had to send it back. Then the Exile one showed up like a Gunsmith made it, real clean work.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (01-14-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Magneto showed up. Its rebuilt and all the old parts came with it, a lot of stuff was replaced. Im going to leave the snout chrome because its flawless and Ill make the magneto look pretty.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting bike, coming along nicely...

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build