Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Exhaust question for wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017 | 05:11 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member
Default Exhaust question for wide glide

Sorry if this has been beat to death like in the touring section but I gotta ask. I bought this 82 wide glide 1 week ago today and Im ready to sell it lol. UNLESS I find a solution to prevent hearing loss. I love the look, I love nostalgia, love the sound at idle and thats about it, not sure how someone lived with this noise level for decades. So before I list this bike I should take a stab at toning it down and see if thats the answer to my prayers. Right now I love looking at it more than riding it, I want that to change somewhat or at least be equal.

I think I prefer 2 separate pipes on one side, staggered but with some sort of baffle / chamber to get some torque back and save my hearing. Not a fan of supertrapps if they're even an option. This bike probably suits 2-1 systems too unlike my RK which I personally feel needs dual mufflers out back to look right.

Open to suggestions. I know sound preference is subjective, just hoping to avoid known bad products to at least narrow down my search to something well made with a nice bark so the shovel head sound isn't neutered.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2017 | 07:50 AM
Tat2d
Cruiser

You don't have many options other than installing baffles if you want to keep the up swept fishtails but it sounds like your open to changing that. I believe Cycle Shack still makes staggered duals with mufflers for 4 speed frames. You could also fab something up with 1-3/4" drags and slip-ons.

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:26 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Good for you, changing the exhaust. Those fishtails ruin the look of that bike.

There are plenty of options out there.

http://paughco.com/2008-catalog/indi...20Paughco.html

Or just get a stock shorty dual system as they came stock. It has a crossover tube, and you can use just the header with slip ons if it isn't loud enough.

Old 09-03-2017 | 12:09 PM
Spy11
Tourer

I've been wearing ear plugs for 7 years now ( but not soon/early enough to prevent the tinnitus I've got to suffer with now). Protect yourself now regardless what pipes you're sporting. Later is too late.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017 | 12:26 PM
RedHogz
Tourer

Damn. Loud Rock N' Roll and Harley's destroyed a big chunk of my hearing. At least now I have a good reason to give the wife when say's 'I told you that already'.....*lol

Old 09-03-2017 | 02:33 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Tat2d
You don't have many options other than installing baffles if you want to keep the up swept fishtails but it sounds like your open to changing that. I believe Cycle Shack still makes staggered duals with mufflers for 4 speed frames. You could also fab something up with 1-3/4" drags and slip-ons.
They have baffles in them already and Im wanting to take off the upswept system.

Originally Posted by mrlexus
Good for you, changing the exhaust. Those fishtails ruin the look of that bike.

There are plenty of options out there.

http://paughco.com/2008-catalog/indi...20Paughco.html

Or just get a stock shorty dual system as they came stock. It has a crossover tube, and you can use just the header with slip ons if it isn't loud enough.
Thanks I was looking those up last night. I found some Thunder Header sets as well with mixed reviews on quality of welds but unmatched sound.

Old 09-03-2017 | 04:36 PM
V_twins
Road Captain

Thunderheaders won't "look" right on that bike IMO
Look on ebay on ebay for cycleshaks shovelhead, some options there
What I'd do is whether keep your headers or get a set of drag pipes (to cut down and use as headers) and get a set of early screaming eagles mufflers, usually less than 100$ for the pair... they might say sportster, softail or whatever, they are pretty much universal if you build a bracket

Old 09-05-2017 | 04:47 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

RB Racing have some nice options for you.....

Old 09-06-2017 | 05:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
RB Racing have some nice options for you.....
Yes, once you get to 3500 rpm.... Under that they struggle....

Old 09-06-2017 | 05:10 PM
hellonewman
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Yes....it struggles, just got back from a ride. I need to make changes to this bike, my 2011 Road King spoiled me big time.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question for wide glide