Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

my new 79 flh

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:44 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

right now i am just colleting stuff to work on the bike. I am gong to order a 68 main jet and new aacelerator pump diapham and new gaskets and o rings for the carb

Also ordering some new 15 amp breakers and trying to research wiring. I want to simplify the wiring. When I was inspecting the wiring I found multible cut or rubbed to brass spots and the power wire from the run/off start was melted and charred in a few places.

My basic wiring plan is this:

battery positive to the ignition switch
ignition switch on to 15a breaker to coil/ignition
ignition switch on the second 15a breaker for brake light, brake light switches, neutral switch, oil switch
ignition switch (lights) to third 15 amp breaker for tail light and headlight

Im thinking this way if something shorts out 3 years from now from a wire running to the taillight or something the bike will still run, just keep the ignition seperate

starter button wired to the selinoid
high/low wired to 3 wire toggle on back of nacelle where passing lamps use to be

im unsure if it needs a 30a fuse between battery positive and ignition switch or a 30a fuse between voltage regulater and battery

I will be eliminating the blinkers , horn, passing lamps and run/off switch and keeping the ignition switch with lights as auxilery. the only wires going to the hand controls will be for brake light switch
need to fiquire out the best head gasket. I have a small leak on the rear cylinder.

Last edited by hell hound; 08-29-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,844 Likes on 3,014 Posts

we run one 30 amp for the entire machine all the bobbers we have done forever

cometic MLS gaskets are the only choice every thing else is paper with a or with out a tin ring

Old 03-15-2018, 12:35 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Well the bike is just about ready. I've got everything done and back together, except it still needs new cables and front brake line, flush out the rear brake, set the timing and at least a new rear tire and maybe front.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,519 Posts

Wow, you've come a long way since you first brought it home. looks good. Re: tires...front looks like you still have some life but I would check the DOT code on it. Old tires get really hard and will start cracking. Last thing you need is a blow out.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

you can see that one is kind of a gray meaning its done

Old 03-16-2018, 06:23 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

The date code on the front tire says its from 2012. I may just get 2 new tires anyway. The back tire is a 150 and it looks way too big for the rim and is stupid close to the chain, so i will be putting a skinnier tire for sure

I was thinking of getting the Shinko 240 classic because i wanted a nice whitewall but several people told me they not too good of tires

Another option was the Avon speedmaster and saftey milage. What are yalls thoughts on these tires? I kind of like the classic looking tires but dont have to have them. I have mags

Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 476 Likes on 242 Posts

I like the look of those tires too, curious to hear what people think of them as far as real world experience

Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

motorcycle tires have a solvent in the construction for cornering - after 3 years or so it evirates and the tires become not trustworthy

in my shop we road raced and won 3 USA national championships it does not happen being stupid about tires and the effect they have in traction

BUT you can believe any one you want on a forum - just make sure your affairs are in order first

Old 03-17-2018, 08:06 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
motorcycle tires have a solvent in the construction for cornering - after 3 years or so it evirates and the tires become not trustworthy

in my shop we road raced and won 3 USA national championships it does not happen being stupid about tires and the effect they have in traction

BUT you can believe any one you want on a forum - just make sure your affairs are in order first

im not sure what that means

Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,489 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound

im not sure what that means
That you're going to croak because of the old tires.

Quick Reply: my new 79 flh