Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Leakage and noise questions/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM
MzzRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leakage and noise questions/concerns

So I bought my 2007 RK FLHRSE3. I absolutely love it! I have put about 2000 miles on since I bought it in July. Honestly, I think, part of the problem is that they don't so much think that I as a woman know anything about anything. Truthfully about the inner workings of this bike I'm still really trying to learn but isn't that what HD service people are supposed to be there for... That being said I have two problems.

After bringing the bike home I noticed a semi loud almost tin sounding clatter. I called my HD dealer. I was told it's typical and I would have to shovel money into it to rid my bike of this noise(even though I have the spendy warranty) and even then it probably won't help. Well I finally ran into someone with an identical HD and no noise at all what so ever! I went there and asked and again was told that every bike is different and same thing about pouring in the money and probably won't work. True or False???

So second, I had an oil leak in Aug took to HD they said they used loctite and it should be fixed. Pulled it out of storage and there it was again. So took it back about three weeks ago or so and again they said just a bolt and more loctite. I just found a couple new spots on the floor today! WTH do I do....

Sorry about the long post but I need any input I can get into this... I am not sure what to do. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Locktite fixed the leak???? Where was this bolt located?? Are they trying to tighten something up to stop a leak rather than replace a gasket??

As for the noise....hard to say without hearing it, but I have heard some 110's make more noise than others. Try another dealer for another opinion. And maybe get a work order written up so you have something that says "normal" in writing.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 PM
MzzRider
Intermediate

They said both times that it fixed the leak but it keeps coming back and I'm taking it to another dealer next weekend of the weather holds out. I honestly couldn't get much of an answer. It felt like being rushed out. Will asking for past work orders do anything to help the second opinion from the other dealer????
Thanks

Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

where or what is leaking. using locktite is not a sealer.
primary, oil plug, transmission cover?

dd

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
2harleys
Intermediate

Locktight is not a "sealer" and where you have been going is not a "dealer" apparently. I would run from that place as fast as you can. The 110s do make a little more noise, but not what you have explained.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
MzzRider
Intermediate

Okay so after a little investigation I found two separate leaks... I am a little afraid of how much to tear into it myself because I really don't want to void my warranty and I'm not sure exactly how this work through HD....

First leak that is putting fluid on the floor is coming from oil cooler I believe and it doesn't look new. After looking under you can tell its old and caked on even down my frame rail on the left.
Second is leaking from someplace between the jugs but it is only leaking to the right side to be seen.

I am totally aware that this is partially my fault because I don't know enough to give better answers and that if I knew better I probably would have found the first leak sooner... but help would still be great.

As for the noise it is a fast tinny tick and I have had one person say it could be a timing issue...not really sure on that...

Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2007 110's did have base gasket issues and there was a recall on them. That could be one of your leaks....

Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM
MzzRider
Intermediate

Surprise...Surprise....

I called the new dealer today and ran everything past them.... They said everything previously said on here. Base gasket and sealant won't do anything... Lazy dealer just didn't want to do anything... ect. ect.

Well it goes in tomorrow to be torn apart and fixed right! Also, because I have the warranty it will cost me a whole 50 dollars.

Oh and they are pretty sure the tick is lifter noise which my HD warranty will cover as well. Super!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
trhayes76
Tourer

Glad they are taking care of it. I believe some models had problems with a seal ring on the oil cooler where it meets the filter. Not the first time I've heard this...

Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM
MzzRider
Intermediate

Update: I took my bike up to the new dealer and what an amazing difference! The customer service is awesome! They looked over my bike AND listened to what I had to say...

I am getting new base gaskets, new o rings in the oil cooler, and new lifters because that is the cause of my noise...

I get to pick up my bike on Tuesday! It cost me a whole 50 bucks but of course sunny and 70 here on Sunday! Lol!

Thanks for the input!!

Quick Reply: Leakage and noise questions/concerns