Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

I bought a'12 Cvo RG why didn't you buy one

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 AM
DCRANER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlrshort
Hey man go start your own thread about how you hate Cvo's and how there's no need to read the the topic before writing something totally unrelated to the topic.
Congrats to the CVO owners and Congrats on those who mod stock bikes to their personal taste. Simple enough I think.

For those who question the CVO cost just stop and get out your adding machine. The stock RG is around 22k, now take out the Harley catalog and price a 110" engine, custom paint, custom gauges, billet everything chromed, etc. You will probably hit 50k invested and it will not be a CVO, it will be a clone.

I've had a number of bikes and I will admit I lost thousands trading in & up. IMO CVO's are a bargin, plus if you trade them in they hold their value quite well.

My friend just got a new CVO RG, and the thing is a work of art, every piece is just about flawless.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoofnhog
The whole CVO program is Harley's most brilliant marketing scheme ever...... who else could get you to pay $12-$14K over the actual cost of the bike and still get your *** spanked by any decent built 95 incher???? You could have bought a standard RG, put $10k back into it yourself, and end up with twice the bike, unique to you only, (not a stock bike that you are gonna see three more of in any parking lot), and STILL have the extra 4 grand in your pocket?????

The few that I know that actually bought CVO bikes have ended up still spending all the extra $$$ anyway to get them right........ now you have $40K in an $18K bike..... BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can write a check for one if I wanted to, but if I won Powerball tomorrow you would never see me spend money that foolishly.(probably why I CAN write a check for one )....

By hoofmender at 2011-04-12

Ouch!!!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCRANER

For those who question the CVO cost just stop and get out your adding machine. The stock RG is around 22k, now take out the Harley catalog and price a 110" engine, custom paint, custom gauges, billet everything chromed, etc. You will probably hit 50k invested and it will not be a CVO, it will be a clone.

I've had a number of bikes and I will admit I lost thousands trading in & up. IMO CVO's are a bargin, plus if you trade them in they hold their value quite well.

My friend just got a new CVO RG, and the thing is a work of art, every piece is just about flawless.
It's never been said any better than that.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default In answering the original question, I like the wind protection better on the Ultra

The whole CVO program is Harley's most brilliant marketing scheme ever...... who else could get you to pay $12-$14K over the actual cost of the bike and still get your *** spanked by any decent built 95 incher???? You could have bought a standard RG, put $10k back into it yourself, and end up with twice the bike, unique to you only, (not a stock bike that you are gonna see three more of in any parking lot), and STILL have the extra 4 grand in your pocket?????

The few that I know that actually bought CVO bikes have ended up still spending all the extra $$$ anyway to get them right........ now you have $40K in an $18K bike..... BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can write a check for one if I wanted to, but if I won Powerball tomorrow you would never see me spend money that foolishly.(probably why I CAN write a check for one )....

By hoofmender at 2011-04-12
Hoofer you seem pretty set in your opinions but remember there is no replacement for displacement so anything you can do to your stock 88 I can also do to a stock 110 so you are not comparing apples to apples. If I want to race I will get out the old '82 CBX and spank every Harley on the street, modified or otherwise but I gave up street racing in my late 20s so Kudos to you, I guess, you win.
Putting 10k into a stock RG just mean you will NEVER get your 10k back. Any used bike with that much tied up in mods will be tough to sell and almost worth-less as a trade.
I don't know where you've seen an $18k CVO but you should have bought. You can't even get a salvage CVO for that price.
As far as foolishly spending money, some would argue that buying any motorcycle/boat/golf clubs/classic car is foolish. So while you think that the cost of a CVO is foolish, I contend that spending $10k or more on any stock harley to modify it is foolish.
I know I haven't changed your opinion nor have you influenced mine but if it helps you sleep better, thinking that I have wasted money on my CVO please rest peacefully knowing that I feel the same way about you dumping a boat load of money into a bike with no hope of return.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by buggin02
Hoofer you seem pretty set in your opinions but remember there is no replacement for displacement so anything you can do to your stock 88 I can also do to a stock 110 so you are not comparing apples to apples. If I want to race I will get out the old '82 CBX and spank every Harley on the street, modified or otherwise but I gave up street racing in my late 20s so Kudos to you, I guess, you win.
Putting 10k into a stock RG just mean you will NEVER get your 10k back. Any used bike with that much tied up in mods will be tough to sell and almost worth-less as a trade.
I don't know where you've seen an $18k CVO but you should have bought. You can't even get a salvage CVO for that price.
As far as foolishly spending money, some would argue that buying any motorcycle/boat/golf clubs/classic car is foolish. So while you think that the cost of a CVO is foolish, I contend that spending $10k or more on any stock harley to modify it is foolish.
I know I haven't changed your opinion nor have you influenced mine but if it helps you sleep better, thinking that I have wasted money on my CVO please rest peacefully knowing that I feel the same way about you dumping a boat load of money into a bike with no hope of return.
OK.. I give up..... you totally missed my point and didn't read for content or comprehension....

I never said anything about an $18K CVO.... The $18K referrenced a stock 2012 RG.... If the CVO's were $18K,I would buy everyone of them, so would you.....

My point, in a nutshell, is if you are going to pay $30K for a CVO bike, you are still going to have a stock, under-performing, PRODUCTION bike just like all the others..... unless you are the lucky one that HD used for a model for the ergos on your bike, you are still going to have to change the bars, controls, seat, foot position, etc, just to make it fit right... you yourself said you could "do" to your 110 what you had to make it stay up with a 95 incher...... and don't even get me started with the problems with that rear cylinder on that 110 that have not been corrected yet by HD..........

You CVO guys seem to beat the resale value drum pretty loud, and if that's how you justify it that's fine...... that is never a consideration for me........ I don't buy them to resell, I buy them to ride, and tend to keep them a long time........ take my '03 FXST, for example...... all told I have just shy of $30K in her..... about the only things left "harley"on her are the frame and the cases..... so, lets say I could sell her for $14K...... did I "lose" $16k? Or did I get to ride her for 9 years at less than $1600/year? Hell, I would of rented a bike just like her for $2K a year and been a happy camper...... but she's not for sale....my 10 year old grandson has dibs on her....

So, I don't hate the CVO's,quite the opposite actually....and I'm glad that someone buys them, it helps my HD stock value........ my original point was that the CVO's are brilliant marketing that works for HD and they certainly have found a willing buyer niche out there...... it's a free country......... enjoy what you ride and stay safe.........

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK.. I give up..... you totally missed my point and didn't read for content or comprehension....

unless you are the lucky one that HD used for a model for the ergos on your bike, you are still going to have to change the bars, controls, seat, foot position, etc, just to make it fit right... you yourself said you could "do" to your 110 what you had to make it stay up with a 95 incher...... and don't even get me started with the problems with that rear cylinder on that 110 that have not been corrected yet by HD..........

I think you are building this up a bit much just to make your point.....The rear cylinder issues with the 110 were corrected by 2009--3 model years ago.

As far as the other items--they are just part of making it yours--I personally did not change the controls, or foot postion on mine.....Did I change the seat--yes, but I would do that on any bike. Did I need to chrome my lower fork legs--no, they came that way...did I change the rims--no...did I do custom paint--no, it already came with a better than regular HD paint job. Did I replace the controls from chorme ones and internally wire the bars--nope--already came that way.

The bottom line is that if the CVO comes with some things that you like and would normally do to a bike anyway, it's cheaper than doing it yourself to a non CVO.

Can't you just leave it at some people like the CVO's and you don't? I'm sure there are things you waste your money on that I would think is crazy, but you don't see me bashing what you bought. Why is it that the Non CVO owners always bash us for buying them?? Do the CVO owners go on the regular HD forum section and tell everyone there that they should have bought a CVO??? NOPE.....

Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mjb765

Can't you just leave it at some people like the CVO's and you don't? .
You didn't read for content:

from my last post: "So, I don't hate the CVO's,quite the opposite actually.."

And just so we are clear on the rear cylinder thing.... HD never fixed the problem with the ridged interface between the cylinder liner and the aluminum jug that stops well before the top of the jug, unlike the 96's that go to the very top, hence allowing the uncontrolled expansion that was causing the head gasket leak,,,they just went to a more malleable gasket that would have a better shot at staying sealed.... a bandaid at best........

Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
07 street bob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I think you are building this up a bit much just to make your point.....The rear cylinder issues with the 110 were corrected by 2009--3 model years ago.

As far as the other items--they are just part of making it yours--I personally did not change the controls, or foot postion on mine.....Did I change the seat--yes, but I would do that on any bike. Did I need to chrome my lower fork legs--no, they came that way...did I change the rims--no...did I do custom paint--no, it already came with a better than regular HD paint job. Did I replace the controls from chorme ones and internally wire the bars--nope--already came that way.

The bottom line is that if the CVO comes with some things that you like and would normally do to a bike anyway, it's cheaper than doing it yourself to a non CVO.

Can't you just leave it at some people like the CVO's and you don't? I'm sure there are things you waste your money on that I would think is crazy, but you don't see me bashing what you bought. Why is it that the Non CVO owners always bash us for buying them?? Do the CVO owners go on the regular HD forum section and tell everyone there that they should have bought a CVO??? NOPE.....
MJ its not worth the effort trying to explain.
The point is just ride whatever kind of Harley you have and enjoy it

Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 07 street bob
MJ its not worth the effort trying to explain.
The point is just ride whatever kind of Harley you have and enjoy it
I couldn't agree more..................

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

LOL....the bars can be changed.....try to reach the radio...lol
that is exactly why I have a RG - spacious cockpit, radio is a non-issue (to me)

and why would someone on here criticism some else on how to spend their own money - sounds more like a wife or mother talking than a guy on a forum ...

Lastly - CVO's and non CVO's depreciate approximately the same (%) percentage over the years, most anyway -

check for yourself (I did) - list price when new vs todays used value: pick some used bikes ... write down the change % - KBB even tells you the cost of the bike when sold new back when ...

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/

SAME DIFFERENCE - just more money up front

Hardly a discussion point

Quick Reply: I bought a'12 Cvo RG why didn't you buy one