Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

'07 CVO reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 AM
novazeus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 CVO reviews

I know you guys are out enjoying your new rides and don't really want to waste time writing up little mini reviews of your new rides, but I have an itch to get a road bike and know nothing about the riding differences between any of them and I figured I might as well start at the top with a CVO.

Other than the people that write for magazines, there isn't any way for a person to get an opinion on these new CVO bikes.
It seems from reading these posts that most of you have been around Harleys for awhile and can make a comparative analysis of the differences between your new bike and a previous one you have own or ridden.

I thought I had decided on a FLHRSE because I thought this would be the best bike as far as resale because it seems that Harley bikers gravitate towards this bike on future purchases but these seem almost impossible to get. Now I am wondering if I would be just as happy with the FXDSE or the FXSTSSE.

I have never ridden on the road with a bike but I ride my motorcycle (KTM 525 EXC) everyday around my ranch to check on the cows,harrass the coyotes, run off tresspassers, etc. and will continue to do so after I get the road bike. So I feel like I should get something that won't too drastic of a change from my work bike. I don't really feel like I need a long range cruiser because my ranch obligations dont let me go far for long.

Maybe you could tell us why you decided on the particular model you chose?

They all look good and any help on this decision would be helpful to me and probably others as well.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 AM
cdslovak
Intermediate
Default RE: '07 CVO reviews

I have had 16 HDs since 1994 and have had virtually every model. Since 2001 I have had only the CVO cycles because of their visual appeal but mainly because of the upgraded motors. My best have been 2004 and 2005 S\E Electra Glides. I purchased a 2007 S\E Ultra and sold it after only 550 miles due to extreme vibration and other mechanical problems. However, I think and hope mine was an exception to the rule as most others have had very good luck with their 2007s. The other reason you stated is correct - the resale. Since the market has changed so much since 2001 the others have not held their value as the HD decided to saturate the market.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:16 AM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only had 1 Harley and I have to sayI had to get the fxstsse,I like to ride a little faster than most this bike is lighter and a little more sporty plusthese bikes demand respect on the road and are fun as hell to ride not that the bigger bikes arent a blast to. I originaly had A 2005 yamaha R1 that was my first bike. I didnt even have that bike for 1 year before I had to trade it in for my baby!!!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 PM
jojot
Stage II

I have 1000 on my 07 Se Ultra and it is Purrrfect. The torque gives me a hard on. The features, gadgets and looks do even more. For those who say there is too much vibration.. my wife says that is an impossibility as there can never be too much vibration. Also, at 1000 mi not a single problem or hiccup.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
wmlafond
Intermediate

I recently traded my 02 HD Dyna Low Rider for an 07 HD Screaming Eagle Dyna FXDSE. Needless to say . . . the FXDSE is WOW! THis is one of the coolest looking, most chromed out bikes Harley has ever made. Throw in the 110 engine and 6 speed and you have an amazing street cruiser right out of the box that WILL turn heads wherever you go. HOWEVER - to even attempt to compare it with a SE Ultra is impossible - comparing two drastically different bikes made for drastically different purposes. The FXDSE is made to ride shorter trips sacrificing some comfort for top of the line performance and looks. I wouldnt even attempt to take the FXDSE on a 400-600 mile day trip - you'd be exhausted when you got there (just from the wind pounding on you - keep in mind HD makes only one detachable windshield to fit the FXDSE - a Super Sport [small] windshield that still lets 1/2 the wind hit you). Additionally, the FXDSE seat is no Lazy Boy either! HOWEVER - If I was to ride fairly close to home and take 50-200 mile trips on Sunday afternoon - then the FXDSE is for you!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Nova...maybe this will make you feel more comfortable.

This past summer I finally decided I was getting my first bike. I was set on getting a Street Glide until I saw the Screamin' Eagle Road King at the demo day. Well, I ended up buying it as my first bike.

Never road a motorcycle before. I even had the sales person ride my bike home for me. (I didn't want to trash $30k on the first ride). It sat in my garage for 2 weeks. I stared at it, sat on it, started it up. All that happy crap. I was very intimidated at first by it. I ended up taking the MSF course (BEST MOVE I'VE EVER MADE). Passed the course. Came home the last night of the course, jumped on the bike and went for an 80 mile ride. I couldn't stop riding once I got on it. I told my wife I was just going down to the local town hall to practice in the parking lot. Well, I drove right by it and didn't stop. I continued on for another 3 hrs.

I said to hell with the training wheels - shoot for the top and get the CVO (if you can swing the cost - I think it's worth every penny btw)

2 months later I bought a StreetGlide to save some miles on the Road King. Everytime I get on the bike it's like my first ride all over again - just can't explain the high and euphoria you get from riding a legend.

Best of luck and ride safe.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
novazeus
Advanced

I do appreciate the reviews, but since I last posted I went on a hunt for a SE Road King and they were all spoken for and was told that they had hard deposits on the ones coming in and that the dealers wouldn't know if they were getting more until the first of the year and it would probably be spring before I could get one.

So a local dealer was discounting new'06 Fatboys $2k and I picked up a silver one on 12/7/06.
As I thought would probably happen I got a call from a dealer on 12/24/06 saying one of the "presold" SE Road Kings was available. I thought hard about buying the Road King but then decided because my garage is so full right now I would wait and get my name on the list for an '08.

I think I could appreciate the extra power the SE versions have because, and I know I am still breaking in the Fatboy and I haven't done any exhaust or air cleaner upgrades yet, and please don't get upset other Fatboy owners, but it isn't exactly an arm straightener.

The Fatboy reminds me of a big Lincoln on the road as far as the ride. I haven't ridden other Harleys and since I live next to the Interstate I think the SE Road King will be my next Harley but the SE Dyna looks like it would be fun.

I need to figure out what I want to put on my present bike for carrying little items because it is a pain to have to put everything on your person. I like bags on the RK but not on Fatboys.

Do the insurance companies give you a break when you are a multiple bike owner and do they charge extra for the SE versions?

BTW where I live, the traffic is horrendous and the drivers are always in a hurry, talking on a cell phone and generally rude the way they drive. I have been driving strictly at night because of these maniacs.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
wmlafond
Intermediate

RE: Insurance of SE's - I was amazed on the insurance issue. I checked with HD's insurance (Progressive) and it was $775 per year for my 07' FXDSE - then checked two local agents - first was $325 per year and then my (existing) Farmers Insurance agent quoted me $175 per year for FULL COVERAGE / FULL COMPREHENSIVE / and 250/500/100k Bodily Injury / Property Damage! WOW - now thats cheap insurance! Only $10 more per year than I was paying for my 2002 Low Rider. My agent told me that Farmers Insurance had a very low accident history with motorcycles with adult (35-55) riders and that is why the rates were so low.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain

Ah Nova...you were too quick to buy.

Should of held out and waited. Good things come to those who wait.

There is a whole world of difference between the 06 88" and the 07 110". The torque of my RK smokes the SG.

I compare it to a Corvette vs a Chevette.

Good luck with the new scooter and get you name on the list - you won't regret it.

Riding that fatboy is like wearing jeans w/o pockets. Bags baby!

Doc

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
lenrough
Road Master

The Fatboy will make a good bar-hopper once you get the RK. Who knows what the 08s will actually look like and/or run like? I've got an 03 RKClassic with 95in Stage I, SE II Slip-ons, PCIII and it is definitely a blast to ride short to medium distances (up to 500 miles a day). Bought an 07 CVO Ultra in August and while I haven't been able to ride any further than a 400 mile round trip (once), it is definitely the long range Strato-lounger...

You mighta lucked out by skipping the 07 "first generation blues", but that 06 is likely to end up in the corner of a barn with a tarp over it once you step up to a RK.

Enjoy the road!

Generally speaking, I found Farmer's Ins to be the cheapest by a long shot. All depends on where you live, your driving record, other "insurable" properties, etc., etc., - definitely shop around though! My son got quotes for his 04 Fatboy (he's 25) for anywhere from $600 a year to over $2000.

Quick Reply: '07 CVO reviews