Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

'07 CVO reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
novazeus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '07 CVO reviews

Well, I did get a pretty good deal on the Fatboy and never have being a Harley owner or a street rider it does give me a opportunity to learn on a less expensive ride. I really couldn't imagine ever dropping a bike because these don't seem so unmanageable to me since I own and operate a cattle ranch by myself and I am use to throwing around bags of feed, cows,etc. However just sitting on my Fatboy not even running in the middle of my asphalt road talking to a friend wearing sneakers I almost lost it from my foot sliding on the particulates that accumulate on the surface. I will never, ever ride without wearing my Harley boots.

Y'all are making it easier for me to justify spending another $31k for a SERK because you do actually need a bike for when the roads might be sloppy and another when it is nice.

As soon as I get my garage more organized with my other toys and tools I think I will be a two Harley owner. I just need to conquer my fears of these other idiots on the road so I can ride either one of them.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
wmlafond
Intermediate

novazeus - sounds to me like you just need more experience riding - we've ALL been there done that - I've been riding for nearly 40 years and I still have occassional close calls too. I've had my bike(s) horizontal on more than one occassion - its not fun. Regardless of your ride (bike) - experience is number one when it comes to having a great ride. Learning to corner tight curves (leaning the "opposite" way), learning to look out "ahead" of the curve (never looking down into it), being damn careful of road conditions ie: sand on a corner (which is like black ice in August), avoid riding behind big trucks that politely on purpose pull over on the shoulder to let you pass (while they throw up sand and rocks in your face and chins laughing all the way), and antisipating oncoming vechile traffic that will turn out right in front of you, along with other life lessons will make all the difference in your enjoyment of a bike (as well as how life expectencey). Gotta give you credit though, learning all this on a Fat Boy is a little tougher than on a smaller, more nimble ride! Until you do learn to become an "experienced" rider, dont be afraid to take it a little easy - if your not comfortable - slow down - regardless of what your riding partners are doing! Honestly, you may have made the correct decision in NOT buying aCVO right now - there damn FAST and it might be aserious mistake to "learn" how to ride on one. Good luck in your future rides and keep it upright between the white lines!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
novazeus
Advanced

You are correct about buying the right bike because I don't have the time to be **** about cleaning every speck of dirt off a SE right now the way I know I would be so the FB is more of a beater.

My biggest fear out on the roads is not while I am moving, it is at stop signs and intersections when I am stopped and other cars/trucks are playing chicken with each other and when they collide I will be a sitting duck.

I don't know how long it's been since yourode down here in Tampa, but it seems the traffic is getting worse daily. People are so impatient. I will be at an intersection in my pickup waiting for a safe entry into traffic, and because the people behind me routinely pull out in front of people they expect you should also and they lay on the horn. It is unbelievable.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
wmlafond
Intermediate

I'm from Montana so I cant relate to those type of traffic problems. My problems usually center around what if I were to break down on this isolated road and was left here for days waiting for someone to drive by! It's not unusual to ride 30-50 miles and NEVER meet a single vehicle on our 2 lane roads. Hell, you can even ride the interstate and go for 5 miles without seeing a vehicle. Of course, I live in eastern Montana - in central and western Montana it is more populated and they even have "cities" (Billings, MT is the largest with 110k population)! Out here - you have the road all to yourself!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: novazeus

Well, I did get a pretty good deal on the Fatboy and never have being a Harley owner or a street rider it does give me a opportunity to learn on a less expensive ride. I really couldn't imagine ever dropping a bike because these don't seem so unmanageable to me since I own and operate a cattle ranch by myself and I am use to throwing around bags of feed, cows,etc. However just sitting on my Fatboy not even running in the middle of my asphalt road talking to a friend wearing sneakers I almost lost it from my foot sliding on the particulates that accumulate on the surface. I will never, ever ride without wearing my Harley boots.

Y'all are making it easier for me to justify spending another $31k for a SERK because you do actually need a bike for when the roads might be sloppy and another when it is nice.

As soon as I get my garage more organized with my other toys and tools I think I will be a two Harley owner. I just need to conquer my fears of these other idiots on the road so I can ride either one of them.
Throwing cows ????? [sm=icon_rofl.gif] That's pretty funny.

But seriously....When I bought my SE Dyna, I kept the Road King so the wife would be comfortable (and for when I need to carry stuff like jackets and extra clothes).
No way she wants to ride on the back of the Dyna. Specially since it doesn't have a back rest.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
novazeus
Advanced

Trust me it is a lot better me throwing them then when a couple a years ago this pet bull of mine that I raise from a bottle who is now around 1500 pounds decided to use me as a soccer ball for about 150 feet across the pasture.

The only thing broken were my Serengeti sunglasses. Sometimes it does pay to be on the heavy side with extra padding.

BTW I am sure he was just playing and we are still friends.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:05 AM
bobby0
Novice

Lets face it the country is getting older. I'm 55 havent been on a bike for 30 years. There are alotof older cagers out there and it's only going to get worse. I was down in Florida in December and you have a huge number of seniors on the road, plus all of the tourists, that are lost and man it is a challange.Bought a SEFB 06 last year. Took it slow but things came back quickly. Biggest learning curve for me was how much lean on a heavy bike,still take things slow. Expecting my SERK 07 black ice first of April. Wife wants do some traveling and the Fat Boy just wont hack it.There are so many things that can bite ya on the roads today. I read alot and talk with exerienced riders whenever I have a chance. But I guess if there wasn'tsome risk it wouldnt be as much of a rush.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM
wamp
Intermediate

I have the same bike as detonator, The blue FXSTSSE. It was the closest bike to what I was looking for without going to a custom builder. The only things I did not like on the bike was where they put the reflectors on the back (so they came off). The brake calipers are not chromed and the bolt sets are not chrome (these will be changed soon). The exhaust was weak sounding, so I changed it to the Vance and Hines Big Radius.I installed the quick disconnect hardware for a removable backrest and a Sundowner seat for when the wife rides with me, but she just purchased an 07custom Fatboy on saturday so the seat and backrest will collect dust in the garage.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 AM
novazeus
Advanced

Since my last post I've installed the Stage 1 Big Bore kit with a V&H Pro Pipe HS with the Fuelpak.
That put a big smile on my face and now I am addicted to this "scooter on the highway thing".
When I am on my bike I am like "wow, that wasn't much of a ride (not far enough)" and when I go somewhere in my truck I am so bored I can't wait for the ride to be over with.
I never go very far but I have manage to rack up a little over 3000 miles.
I also put on a Stripper seat, a chrome dash panel, a license plate bag and those little chrome plated inserts on the swingarm with the pivot bolt covers.

To keep my Fatboy company in the garage I've got a deposit down on my local HD dealer's first '08 SERK. It is the black and silver color. Suppose to be here August 3rd and I will post pictures of my growing fleet.

Any advice on performance upgrades for the SERK would be appreciated.