Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

To Ultra or not to Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Boozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Ultra or not to Ultra?

Looking for some advice and input from experienced Ultra riders....I currently ride a 2002 Goldwing and I have become interested in an Ultra and, in particular, the SE Ultra. I am considering an '06 or '07 but I don't want a weekend project. I have read about some cyclinder leaks and heat problems (specially on the 110ci motor). I want the Ultra to be dependable, reliable and problem free. Does the SE Ultra fit those parameters??? Does a regular Ultra fit those paramaters?? I want to turn it on, crank it up and ride - no (very, very little) repairs needed just to ride. I (we) do ride almost every weekend....about 10-12k miles a year - of course mileage varys.

My other concern is that the Ultras (and other models) are only air cooled. Is that a problem...I have heard from some HD riders that overheating can be an issue. How much of a problem is it?? How about a regular Ultra as opposed to a SE Ultra?

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2010 ultra ...........I have to say ,it DOES get very very hot in stop & go traffic (in the summer months especially).......one of my most dislikes of this ultra........other than that,I love this bike ....I know a lot of guys that have lots (thousands) of miles on theirsw/ NO major problems.......so i am hoping to do the same............this bike handles like a dream........best I have ever ridin'.........
love the 6th gear,cruise,storage space, fairing,stereo w/mp3 plug, cb,.......
don't like the (down)position of passenger pegs, they are in my way when I go to put my feet down at a stop...........

Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Boozer
Intermediate

Thanks for Dano309 for your input.....I am concerned about the engine overheating and shutting off....have a few friends that has happened to....the issue with my GW is it is about 2inches too tall when I am at a stop. If the ground is rocky or uneven, it can be difficult to maneuver safetly without being flat footed on the ground - I have never turned over but it can hairy sometimes. Otherwise, it could not be a better bike...has all the conveniences, its comfortable, powerful and reliable. It rides two up, loaded without notice.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The CVO's are nice, however, if CVO is what you're after, and you want the 110, I think you should look at '08 or later models. There were some issues on the '07 110's, where the MoCo had a recall to fix seals, gaskets and whatever else. You may want to do a little research on this issue. The CVO Ultra will definitely run a lot hotter than a Goldwing but quite honestly, they have a lot more character and the fun factor is much greater in my opinion. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Boozer
Intermediate

Hey WarriorHD - I want the CVO because they have great paint schemes, nice accessories and power. The 2008 and up models will be real pricey, maybe too pricey. The Ultra family certainly has the 'Cool' factor and it seems to be 'tugging' at me, but I dont want to sacrafice reliabality for 'cool'. May have to consider a regular Ultra......

As far as the heat goes, I am not really as concerned about heat produced from the engine, but about the engine overheating in the stop & go traffic.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Mysanity2
Advanced

Boozer...I've got an 06 CVO Ultra (103")with about 25k on it. I'm the second owner and the only problems I've had are a leaky shifter seal. I'll be taking the primary apart soon to replace that. Other than that I absolutely love the bike. It always makes me grin when I hit the road.

You might try www.cvoharley.com for some more input on the later models with the 110". There's also a great deal on a 06 on their classified board.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=55914.0

Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

....... if you're coming off a Goldwing, and want an Ultra ......... get the Road Glide.
.... Why struggle to understand why the headlight moves when you turn, when yer already used to the fixed fairing ?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Road-end
Novice

I would look at the 2009 or newer, new frame, bigger rear tire, Very nice

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Boozer
Intermediate

Mysanity2 - thanks for the info...great looking bike....I have found one like yours for sale but I have not gotten all the detailed info yet, mileage, condition, etc. Asking $17500.00. Looks like I have to be registerd to access the classified section on the CVO site...

Last edited by Boozer; 12-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Boozer
Intermediate

Groupw - that is an interesting suggestion. I have not considered the Road Glide. How does it compare to the Ultra and how does it differ?

Quick Reply: To Ultra or not to Ultra?