Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Any Regrets on CVO Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
toofast_28
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deer Stalker
what does this mean in terms of price?
Approximately 10% off MSRP, plus no delivery (from manufacturer) charge, and no set up fee. Maybe something i am forgetting... i seem to think there are 3 things... HD warranties are available very cheap through the program as well, cheap financing available if needed also.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
heymoej
Advanced

no regrets here......while riding i have only seen 1 other cvo fatboy & it was a different color than mine.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

My bike's not a CVO but I am Active Duty and I have purchased two H-Ds thru the Military Sales program, most recently my '09 FLHX. The current "deal" is a straight 2K off MSRP. I ordered mine when I was in Greece. When I picked my bike up from the dealer in Pensacola, FL, I had to pay a $300 setup fee. That was it. Pretty straightforward. Of course I also had to pay state sales tax when i registered it. It's a good deal and I always take advantage of it after I've completed an overseas tour.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 2010 Softail Convertible for a month now, it's stock with the exception of removed cats and replaced windshield and here's my thoughts. The paint and convertible features are excellent, chrome is great with 1 exception - the passenger backrest side plates are showing rust on the insides already, the ride is pretty rough, the lean angle is terrible, the engine is noisey, hot and doesn't run very well, performance is lacking. I am sure the engine problems would be solved with a TTS or SERT but the bad ride can not be fixed. So am I happy with it? I have to say no, I wouldn't spend money on another. Great bike to look at, terrible to actually ride. Shame on me for not doing my homework before purchase.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 05-11-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
I've had my 2010 Softail Convertible for a month now, it's stock with the exception of removed cats and replaced windshield and here's my thoughts. The paint and convertible features are excellent, chrome is great with 1 exception - the passenger backrest side plates are showing rust on the insides already, the ride is pretty rough, the lean angle is terrible, the engine is noisey, hot and doesn't run very well, performance is lacking. I am sure the engine problems would be solved with a TTS or SERT but the bad ride can not be fixed. So am I happy with it? I have to say no, I wouldn't spend money on another. Great bike to look at, terrible to actually ride. Shame on me for not doing my homework before purchase.
The ride should not be rough, I don't know how much you weigh however the bike is set up at the factory for a 180 # rider as stated in the manual. If you weigh more or less than that you should adjust the shocks accordingly. Mine rides great.

All modern HD run hot has been that way for many years now, if you add fuel management the bike will run cooler and the performance....well it is scary fast now.

Also ALL HD are noisy have been that way from the inception, it is one of the things that gives it soul and makes it a HD.

The lean angle does suck, this is my first lowered bike not sure if they are all that way. With 4" clearance I expected that and it wont hurt anything so lean into that sucker.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM
RED RUM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racerdj
Just curious are there any here who after the purchase or living with the bike, regret a CVO purchase?
no regrets..........

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
IWannaChop
Advanced

Just bought the 2008 SVO Springer that was in the "motorcycles for sale" thread. It goes on a truck in Florida Wednesday, and I will take it off the truck on the 21st in Tacoma WA and ride it home to Spokane. Can't wait, and I'm sure I will not regret it as this is my fifth or sixth Harley. Just sold my 2008 Low Rider which I loved. Yes they are noisy, and shake, and make heat. Just as they should!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newdep332
The ride should not be rough, I don't know how much you weigh however the bike is set up at the factory for a 180 # rider as stated in the manual. If you weigh more or less than that you should adjust the shocks accordingly. Mine rides great.

All modern HD run hot has been that way for many years now, if you add fuel management the bike will run cooler and the performance....well it is scary fast now.

Also ALL HD are noisy have been that way from the inception, it is one of the things that gives it soul and makes it a HD.

The lean angle does suck, this is my first lowered bike not sure if they are all that way. With 4" clearance I expected that and it wont hurt anything so lean into that sucker.
I am heavier for sure but the shocks are set at max already. I have had several HD's over the years, along with several other makes and this one is by far the noisiest engine and roughest riding of them all (front and rear), this is my first Softail. My '04 Super Glide 88c.i. with SE ac & SE slip ons will run circles around this bike. The closest thing I have owned to this bike is an '02 Honda Ace as far as the ride and overall feel goes. Like I said tho, nobody's fault but mine.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 05-12-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,802 Likes on 690 Posts

'00 FLTRSEI, no regrets, although sometimes I feel like I need another bike just to customize. I don't want to make too many changes to this bike, since that might reduce the value of it. Not that I plan on ever selling it, and I have made a few changes just so it fits me better,(bars, seat, pegs) and runs a little stronger (gear drive cams, pipes, PCIII), but every now and then I think about a different paint job. Actually, I wish I had my old FXR back, just to tinker with different setups. I won't get rid of this bike tho.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Man I simply hate that you are having buyers remorse on your ConV purchase. We've had ours since Oct 09 and love this bike. I just checked our back rest and there's no sign of rust stains anywhere, your dealer will take care of that. Maybe you got one with a bad plating job?

The ride is rougher than our other bikes but the most weight on it is 200#'s (my fat butt), wifey is much less. Can't offer anything else that wouldn't lighten your wallet for that fix unless there's a factory issue with one of your support shocks but the softail will never ride like a touring bike especially the new touring frame, it's a cruiser but you know all that.

The lean angle has never bothered us, yes, I do scrape a board every now and again but that is due to the wide boards and low clearance... I've scraped boards with all my HD's more so when I was a younger man. If you scrape one it's just a part of enjoying your bike, at least to me it is. I now compensate my ride style but when I scrape one I get the old goose bumps thrill again.

You said you removed the cat. I assume you either gutted the baffles or put on another style of muffler. Even with the adaptive fueling contained in the ECM it will still run hot and slow... Yes, a tuner can really help wake up your ConV so take a chance and grab a TTS and I'll send you a really close starting map. It won't take but a few hours on your part to do your VTune and you're done.

As your bike breaks in you will get used to the "new" noises and will also see that some of them will quiet themselves as you rack up the miles. You will not mind them so much if you are able to twist the throttle and have to concentrate on holding on...

enjoy

-wiz

Quick Reply: Any Regrets on CVO Purchase?