Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Joined the CVO Ranks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Steve, do you know how to check frame cracks on Wing?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SteveO
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, here are just a few of the problems on the 08-10 CVO Harley's.

Major engine and heat problems that cause other issues, melted spark plugs, mechanical and electrical issues because of excessive heat, . The 09 models currently have a gas tank/frame recall. There was or is a recall on the tires. There is a service bulletin on brake squeal. There is a service bulletin for the rear rubber ISO hub, several others that you will have to get from an "honest" Harley dealer. Most won't tell you about the service bulletins because they do not want to do them. The 110 engine has a vibration between 2100 and 2800 RPM Harley is aware of and is working on.....yea right. 5th gear trans whine, some worse than others. Excessive engine noise in the valve train, chrome peeling issues............................................ ...............on and on.

I have an 08 Ultra SE3, I did not get the extended warranty, (my bad) nothing but problems, continued engine issues even after two complete sets of heads and jugs. Has a bad engine vibration around 2500 RPM. Hard to start. Starter kicks out just before it starts. Harley is aware of all these issues and may or may not do anything about it, just how well you know and trust your dealer.

I have a Power Commander, K&N and V&H tru duals with stock SE exhaust, excessive heat continues to be an issue, turned the left V&H muffler blue, they won't warranty excessive heat, went back to the stock SE mufflers, actually like them better. Stopped the decell popping.

Thats why I would suggest the longest extended warranty you can get and get to know your local Harley dealer, hopefully he is an honest one and won't give you a run around.

I can assure you I won't buy another Harley especially a CVO until they work out the continued problems. I just ride my 09 Goldwing and leave the Harley in the garage waiting on the next recall or engine problem.

Steve
Sorry to hear about your problems Steve and I'm sorry you didn't wait another year and get the new frame (an incredable difference!).

However, I've been a member of the CVO owners forum for a number of years and have to say that I just bought my second CVO and many of us are very happy with our bikes.

True, there is a heat issue with the 110" (never heard of spark plugs melting) however, that's easily fixed with a tuner, free flowing air cleaner and free flowing exhaust (the same thing we do with standard models).

The fuel tank and front tire issue is on all the touring models, not just CVO. Just got a refund (store credit) for the wife's front tire on her 09 Street Glide.

I haven't experienced any vibration issues or brake squeel on my 2010 CVO but I've only got 6k miles on it so far. Who knows.

Just sayin......I've owned a lot of Harleys since the early 70s and a number of new bikes. None of them have been trouble free and they've all had recalls and/or a number of service bullitins...that's nothing new. But each year they seem to get less and less and they ride and handle better than ever before. That's my experience.

By the way Jerry, congratulations on that new (to you) bike! I'm sure it'll bring many miles of happy smiles to your face.

Last edited by Open Road; 12-22-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by Open Road
Sorry to hear about your problems Steve and I'm sorry you didn't wait another year and get the new frame (an incredable difference!).

However, I've been a member of the CVO owners forum for a number of years and have to say that I just bought my second CVO and many of us are very happy with our bikes.

True, there is a heat issue with the 110" (never heard of spark plugs melting) however, that's easily fixed with a tuner, free flowing air cleaner and free flowing exhaust (the same thing we do with standard models).

The fuel tank and front tire issue is on all the touring models, not just CVO. Just got a refund (store credit) for the wife's front tire on her 09 Street Glide.

I haven't experienced any vibration issues or brake squeel on my 2010 CVO but I've only got 6k miles on it so far. Who knows.

Just sayin......I've owned a lot of Harleys since the early 70s and a number of new bikes. None of them have been trouble free and they've all had recalls and/or a number of service bullitins...that's nothing new. But each year they seem to get less and less and they ride and handle better than ever before. That's my experience.

By the way Jerry, congratulations on that new (to you) bike! I'm sure it'll bring many miles of happy smiles to your face.
+1000 on that!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, here are just a few of the problems on the 08-10 CVO Harley's.

Major engine and heat problems that cause other issues, melted spark plugs, mechanical and electrical issues because of excessive heat, . The 09 models currently have a gas tank/frame recall. There was or is a recall on the tires. There is a service bulletin on brake squeal. There is a service bulletin for the rear rubber ISO hub, several others that you will have to get from an "honest" Harley dealer. Most won't tell you about the service bulletins because they do not want to do them. The 110 engine has a vibration between 2100 and 2800 RPM Harley is aware of and is working on.....yea right. 5th gear trans whine, some worse than others. Excessive engine noise in the valve train, chrome peeling issues............................................ ...............on and on.

I have an 08 Ultra SE3, I did not get the extended warranty, (my bad) nothing but problems, continued engine issues even after two complete sets of heads and jugs. Has a bad engine vibration around 2500 RPM. Hard to start. Starter kicks out just before it starts. Harley is aware of all these issues and may or may not do anything about it, just how well you know and trust your dealer.

I have a Power Commander, K&N and V&H tru duals with stock SE exhaust, excessive heat continues to be an issue, turned the left V&H muffler blue, they won't warranty excessive heat, went back to the stock SE mufflers, actually like them better. Stopped the decell popping.

Thats why I would suggest the longest extended warranty you can get and get to know your local Harley dealer, hopefully he is an honest one and won't give you a run around.

I can assure you I won't buy another Harley especially a CVO until they work out the continued problems. I just ride my 09 Goldwing and leave the Harley in the garage waiting on the next recall or engine problem.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for the info. I did get a 4 year extended warranty and they already performed the tank fix. I had not heard about a tire problem. Hmmmm......... I did ride it @ 80 miles home from the dealership and didn't notice any extra drivetrain noise or vibration you mentioned.

Sorry about your bad experience with a CVO. Hopefully I can avoid the same problems. Time will tell.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Open Road

Do you recommend swapping-out the standard exhaust and/or installing a Stage 1 kit? Having traded-in a '08 FLHTC with a bunch of up-grades...losing my shirt in the process...I was planning on keeping this one stock. Bad idea?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda solved the cracked frame thing back in 06. Have 18,000 miles on my 08 Goldwing and it has never been to the shop for anything except a rear tire, no engine issues, no heat ssues, no recalls, no gas tank/frame recalls, did I mention no engine issues, or any engine issues, or any heat related issues, or any heat related issues........................it's like the Everybattery bunny, just keeps on going...........

And you don't have to add thousands of dollars in aftermarket stuff to try and get it running right and with no heat issues............................................ ..........................

Gonna be a nice day tomorrow, thank I will take my Ultra SE3 into the Harley so they can repair the left front strut seal that is leaking.

Not to worry, I have a back up bike with no heat issuess and did I mention no engine issues, and never been to the shop for anything !

Steve

Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

Honda solved the cracked frame thing back in 06. Have 18,000 miles on my 08 Goldwing and it has never been to the shop for anything except a rear tire, no engine issues, no heat ssues, no recalls, no gas tank/frame recalls, did I mention no engine issues, or any engine issues, or any heat related issues, or any heat related issues........................it's like the Everybattery bunny, just keeps on going...........

And you don't have to add thousands of dollars in aftermarket stuff to try and get it running right and with no heat issues............................................ ..........................

Gonna be a nice day tomorrow, thank I will take my Ultra SE3 into the Harley so they can repair the left front strut seal that is leaking.

Not to worry, I have a back up bike with no heat issuess and did I mention no engine issues, and never been to the shop for anything !

Steve
Well, it appears it's not all doom and gloom for you afterall. But if you have a bike that's so reliable, why do you even bother with a CVO?

By the way, you may not want to visit the Goldwing forum. You'll quickly learn that have their own issues and it's not just cracked frames.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there is quite a thread there on gearbox failures. Mine was one of them.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new bike........

Ruby Red ................ great color

Love the bike............ 12,000+ miles in the first year. Oh so much fun!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harley Guy
Congrats on the new bike........

Ruby Red ................ great color

Love the bike............ 12,000+ miles in the first year. Oh so much fun!
Yep...love that color combination. Have you made any mods to your bike?

Quick Reply: Joined the CVO Ranks!