Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

New Jay Brake Leaking from 3 of 6 Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 AM
GBeck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry New Jay Brake Leaking from 3 of 6 Pistons

Hi, I installed a new Jay-Six front caliper on my 2008 CVO Dyna yesterday and bled them without a problem. I rode 100 miles on it afterward to start getting them seated nicely on the stock disc with good brake feel by the end of the ride. This morning I found a brake fluid stain on the ground under my disc. I traced the fluid up the diameter of the disc to the base of the brake caliper where fluid has been transferring from the body of the caliper to brake and then to the ground. The bleeder valve and the banjo bolt are dry. The right side of the brake disc has black streaks but the left side is normal. I wiped everything down and took it out for a 25 mile test ride. The brake lever has to be pumped slightly to return it to the firmness we attained after bleeding yesterday. Also, more fluid has been slung to the frame, engine, paintwork and chrome. After cleaning the bike I've left the bike to sit for a while. When checked again, there is fresh brake fluid on the bottom of the caliper and the brake is weak. I believe there is a piston leaking. What can be done to rectify this problem?

Update:

I removed the caliper and while still attached to the hydraulic line noted that three of six pistons were recessed into the brake housing. It took several squeezes of the brake lever to bring the pistons level with the other three. Subsequent squeezes produced bubbling/seeping brake fluid from the three weak pistons. I can only assume that the brake was manufactured incorrectly since this is a brand new item. DOT 4 fluid was used and brake lever force was close to nominal after the bleeding but decreased with the leak.

Did I get a lemon, Friday build or what? Pissed I spent $360 on a piece o' ****e!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that you got a POS, you should contact who ever you got it from and see what their return policy is, or if you have to send it back to the manf.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
GBeck
Tourer

Contacted Jaybrake and the dude at the other end of the line was cool about it and had me send it directly to them for immediate replacement. Definitely a Friday manufactured item with three of six pistons failing! Let's hope the replacement is a Wednesday model!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
GBeck
Tourer

JAYBRAKE replaced and tested caliper for two days before sending it back to me. Works great now.