Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

What do you think the 2010 CVO models will be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblemania
I'll not buy a new Harley. Prices are way too high and you can't work on them without special electronic tools.
I will buy used or just rebuild the one I have now.
After all, they all ride about the same and the old carb ones are relative easy to work on.
since when is a wrench a special electronic tool??? lol

the only time you would need anything electronic is if you had to check codes on the ECM.
EFI is way easier to work on than a carb bike because it tells YOU what's wrong! lol

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 12-04-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:12 AM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its time they do a nightster, night train, street glide, and street bob. If not a night train then a fat boy. There is something about at fat boy that says bad @$$. If i had to pick one i would say the street glide tho. Have they ever done one yet?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 AM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
bump
anyone going to pay over 20 grand for a sportster cvo

Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 AM
1abastarsmda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what people here are asking for is totally unrealistic. If you want a totally custom bike, you go to a custom bike builder and to get what you get with a CVO, plus the other items you want, you will pay an extremely higher price tag. Harley is a large company and they are building about 4000 of each of these models. Do you know any truly custom bike builders that could put out 4000 of any one model in a year? Of course not. What you are asking for is to have Harley customize each bike to your particular tastes, but that's what you do when you get a bike. You are either happy with the given equipment or you make changes to it. Admittedly, when you buy a car, you can special order it, with certain options or option packages. I'm sure that we would all like to be able to do that, but the fact is the CVO's sell and they are in demand, and difficult to find. Harley can't keep up with the demand for them as it is. As you may have noticed, the economy is not doing real great at this point in time, and Harley is not in the best shape either. Sales are way down, and money is tight everywhere. Harley has not been able to make their process to work in the way that we would all like, but again, given the current economic situation, I don't see the company bringing in enough money to fund this type of change to their operation an any time in the near future.

I would like to be able to order a bike with a chrome engine package, and chrome controls package, etc. BUT...think about how many different choices you have when it comes to these items. For just about any part, there are so many choices out there to choose from, and they wouldn't be available if people weren't buying them. The MoCo is in business to make a profit. They offer the CVO's, which are a special bike in relationship to the rest of their lineup. On my 2007 Road King Classic, I had about $34,000 into it and never got to upgrading from the 96" motor. I could have put another $10,000 into it with the engine upgrades and changes to wheels, and more, and still not had a bike that I would have been as happy with as the CVO comparable. I now have an 09 SE Ultra, and I have priced out many of the options on it that don't come on the standard Ultra. I hit $50,000 in about 15 minutes of researching, and didn't even begin to hit everything that is an upgrade to the standard model. If you are someone like myself, that likes to really deck out your bike, you are given a chance to start at an extremely well appointed bike, or just be perfectly content with the way it comes stock and still have a real nice bike. Again, the MoCo is in business to make a profit, and guess what...they make a lot of profit by us customizing our bikes with the individual parts we buy. They make more selling these parts, than what they could if they put them on the bike from the factory. Do you think they don't know that their stock seats suck, or that the black cables don't look as nice as chrome, or that the stock floorboards don't look as nice as the many different collections they make available? Of course they know, and they count on us to buy those parts as add-ons so they can make money.

Believe me, I thought many times about buying a standard Ultra, but everytime I got that thought, I started adding up all the things that were must haves to me, and everytime, I ended up with a bike costing leaps and bounds beyond the CVO, just getting the parts that were upgrades on the CVO compared to the standard. I have lots of things that I want to do to my CVO, but I dn't have to worry about those big dollar items that are already there. I can concentrate on the details that makes the bike mine and mine only. I just happen to think the CVO's are a fantastic value for someone like myself. If you don't like what is offered, don't buy a CVO, because you are just making it more difficult for those of us that do appreciate them to find them available. If you aren't happy with Harley, don't buy one. Don't plan on buying a Honda, or Yamaha, or Suzuki, or Kawasaki, or any other bike from a large company, because you won't be happy. They all sell accessories too, and if you want those accessories, you will have to purchase them and put them on after you buy your bike. With all of that said, I don't expect this to go without some contrary responses, but you know what? I'm lovin' my new CVO Ultra and you can't convince me otherwise.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
since when is a wrench a special electronic tool??? lol

the only time you would need anything electronic is if you had to check codes on the ECM.
EFI is way easier to work on than a carb bike because it tells YOU what's wrong! lol
Wrench? Electronic tool? You don't understand the difference. I never mentioned wrenches.
So, how much is a code reader? Is that an Electronic tool? You have been trained to utilize them and repair the little do dads that fail? Too many little offshore parts to go haywire for me.
All those sending units and switches have to control from somewhere and if your ECM or one of the monitors fail, you're up sh*t creek, where as the old style machines can be kept running long enough to get back to civilization.
You take your bike to the dealer for "oil changes" too? I guess a bike with two dozen or so electronic parts is easier to work on because it tells you why it won't run if you have the code reader with you and training to know what the little numbers mean, plus the parts to replace the failed ones? *smirk
I do everything but the machine work to my bikes and have for the last 45 years. When mine breaks down (which isn't very often), at least I can get it going again in a few minutes and without an electronic "code reader" and a box of spare electronic parts in the saddle bags.
BTW, carburetors are really a simple part that usually fails for one or two reasons. Dirt or other contaminant in the fuel or dirt or other contamination in the fuel.

Last edited by Marblemania; 12-05-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
HighriderUSA
Cruiser

Fxstc

Last edited by HighriderUSA; 12-05-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 PM
DeckerDude
Road Master

[QUOTE=George C;4185853]The whole "CVO" thing is really a joke.
Let's look at it for what it really is..
They do nothing different than what any moron can do.. QUOTE]

Well thank you Mister Happy pants !!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
The 2009 CVO bikes, especially the Fat Bob and Springer seem to have really comfortable seats, also the leather is nice on them. I don't think Id swap them out for a custom seat.
You would if you were me. I'm 6'3", the beautifully covered, heated seat on my buddy's CVO Ultra is so uncomfortable for me, if I had the bread for one, the seat would have to go before I rode it home.
Possibly, if I had my own CVO Ultra, I could find a seat guy that would be able to do something with the stock seat to move me further back, but as they are now, no way could I ride with that.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Have Fun

Wow, reading this thread is like reading a script from a group of religious leaders. Buy what you want and what you can afford, keep it clean and make it shine no matter how much chrome you have and no matter if it is original or aftermarket and then go out and ride it until the smile is so painful that you have to stop and rest your face. Then get back on and ride it home.
FXDSE2

Attached Thumbnails What do you think the 2010 CVO models will be?-copy-of-fxdse2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblemania
Wrench? Electronic tool? You don't understand the difference. I never mentioned wrenches.
So, how much is a code reader? Is that an Electronic tool? You have been trained to utilize them and repair the little do dads that fail? Too many little offshore parts to go haywire for me.
All those sending units and switches have to control from somewhere and if your ECM or one of the monitors fail, you're up sh*t creek, where as the old style machines can be kept running long enough to get back to civilization.
You take your bike to the dealer for "oil changes" too? I guess a bike with two dozen or so electronic parts is easier to work on because it tells you why it won't run if you have the code reader with you and training to know what the little numbers mean, plus the parts to replace the failed ones? *smirk
I do everything but the machine work to my bikes and have for the last 45 years. When mine breaks down (which isn't very often), at least I can get it going again in a few minutes and without an electronic "code reader" and a box of spare electronic parts in the saddle bags.
BTW, carburetors are really a simple part that usually fails for one or two reasons. Dirt or other contaminant in the fuel or dirt or other contamination in the fuel.
wow bro... I didn't mean to insult you! LOL
all I meant to say was, if you can use a wrench you can work on an EFI bike...
it's just a matter of using the "right" tool, like a computer to see what's going on with the ECM.
times change and so do the tools of the trade..

if you're computer savvy enough to learn how to post and reply on this forum, you're smart enough to use a computer to diagnose an EFI bike...
if you have a problem on the road the ECM will go into a default mode and get you home.

and, NO, I don't take my bike to the dealer for oil changes....lol
I do all of my own mechanical work (I don't trust anybody else enough to do it right) on my CVO bike AND my 1998 Corvette!

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 12-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you think the 2010 CVO models will be?