Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

FXDSE2 Upgrade 110 Engine...Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXDSE2 Upgrade 110 Engine...Problem

My 2008 FXDSE2 with a little over 2,000 miles on it just had its UPGRADE... I take care of my baby, only put in High Testosterone at the gas pump but about 100 miles ago I saw the first sign of the dreaded oil leak. By coincidence that day my Harley Dealer called and told me they had the kit in to UPGRADE my ride so in it went on last Saturday afternoon.

Got the bike back Thursday afternoon, rode it home and it just did not seem to have the same punch that it had before. I thought that maybe it was my imagination since they told me they would not have to put it on the Dyno for this upgrade...sounded sane to me. As I put the bike through the gears, even the sound was not quite the same and when I brought her into the red zone she backfired...everytime. In addition, I could hear a tappet-like sound which was never there before.

Other than the obvious that it needs to be retuned ...probably going to cost me $160...any comments or suggestions? Should I just ride it for 300-400 miles and see if she settles in or should I bring her back asap?

Jim (FXDSE2)

Attached Thumbnails FXDSE2 Upgrade 110 Engine...Problem-blueridge.jpg  
Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Default Can anyone comment on this?

Can anyone comment on this? Jim FXDSE2

Old 09-13-2008, 08:33 AM
skyhook
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ask the dealer to run a compression and leakdown test...with the acr's turned off... also I would tell them it's not running right and ask them to retune it on their dime...it's under warranty, you haven't made any mods, and you deserve a good running bike

Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
sonic
Road Captain

I would tell my dealer my concerns in no uncertain terms. I've got over 12k on my 08 FXDSE-2. Never had a leak, had the upgrade done a couple weeks ago. Bike feels just as strong or even stronger. Good luck and stay after them. If it ain't 100% it ain't chit!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
bschmenk
2nd Gear

I have to ask what upgrade? I bought an 07' Screaming Eagle 110" from the parts and accesories book. I am putting it in a Chopper Guys twin cam FXR frame. the motor has not seen life yet so agsin, what is the upgrade?
Brent

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm just curious...you took a virtually brand new motor to redline on it's maiden voyage? Isn't there a break-in period since you have new pistons, jugs, and such? Sounds like a good way to blow $2000+.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser

picked up the FXDSE2 this morning and I followed the suggestions made by SKYHOOK above and the bike is back to perfect running condition.

I brought it up to 6,000 rpm...after that it cuts out so it never gets above 6,000. The HD Dealer said to use the engine and that it is broken in and should be used up to the red line...6,000. Is there a problem with this? FXDSE2

Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused also. I read where you had put 2,000 miles on it before the oil leak and the bike ran good. Then you brought it in to fix the oil leak and now it doesn't run as well. What would the oil leak fix have to do with the tune of your bike? Did they do some type of flash to your ECM? Maybe they didn't tighten a connection properly?
I would think it is something simple and hopefully they will be able to correct it asap.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fx...no problem at all. Your bike, do with it what you want but I've had motors rebuilt and had to break them in, as in not take them to redline for a period of miles usually 500-1000. I remember the tech saying that the rings need to seat and such. It's essentially a new motor and when that motor was new, there was a break in period of 500 miles so why not after adding new pistons, rings, jugs,etc. I was just passing along more of a question than a derogatory statement.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Darthvader
Road Warrior

I will wait to take mine in for this fix in spring. Give the dealer ample time to practice on other bikes.

Quick Reply: FXDSE2 Upgrade 110 Engine...Problem