Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
maintainin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler question

I have a FXDSE2. Are the two screws on the oil filter mount housing there so oil cooler lines can be added or are they there for something else? How are those oil coolers that mount on the downtubes? I'm thinking of buying one.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
factoryhdtech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil cooler question

What part of the country do you live?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
maintainin
Advanced

south dakota

Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
factoryhdtech
Intermediate

Im thinking that the weather is fairly mild there, (ie.. not crazy hot like florida or texas) in which case I would steer you away from an oil cooler. These motors need the oil to reach a certain temp in order to lubricate properly, and an oil cooler will prevent that from happening in most circumstances. If you ride at alot of rallies, or in parades, the point is mute because the oil cooler needs air to pass through it (like a car radiator) for it to be effective anyway. Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currently looking for different ways to cool my bike down, but I never thought about an oil cooler, besides it would look like a radiator, and them rice burners like to use them, trying to distance myself from that look. I upgraded the exhaust, installed a stage 3 air filter, and installed JACKELL's two inch tank lift, all of this seems to help some, but I am still in my quest.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47348/A7AAD1476A034DDF9BA2BD5E2C4CB13D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Jello
Stage II

Hi,

Did you remap your bike, after doing your modification.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
maintainin
Advanced

ORIGINAL: factoryhdtech

Im thinking that the weather is fairly mild there, (ie.. not crazy hot like florida or texas) in which case I would steer you away from an oil cooler. These motors need the oil to reach a certain temp in order to lubricate properly, and an oil cooler will prevent that from happening in most circumstances. If you ride at alot of rallies, or in parades, the point is mute because the oil cooler needs air to pass through it (like a car radiator) for it to be effective anyway. Hope this helps.
Actually it gets quite hot here in the Summer. 90's is the norm(the average high temp for july and august is86)and it breaks 100 regularly. It seems crazy for a state being that far north but its true. I've beenhere six years. I arrived here in July and on the second day I was here it was 106. I couldnt believe it. The good thing about it though is that the humidity around here is usually fairly low. So its more of a dry heat. That makes it somewhat bearable. But I still think it could be hell on a bikes engine.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM
maintainin
Advanced

ORIGINAL: dope_man_21

I am currently looking for different ways to cool my bike down, but I never thought about an oil cooler, besides it would look like a radiator, and them rice burners like to use them, trying to distance myself from that look. I upgraded the exhaust, installed a stage 3 air filter, and installed JACKELL's two inch tank lift, all of this seems to help some, but I am still in my quest.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47348/A7AAD1476A034DDF9BA2BD5E2C4CB13D.jpg[/IMG]
Actually, the one I'm looking at doesnt look like a radiator at all. Its two chome tubes that are mounted on the down tubes. Like an upside down V.I think it would look pretty sharp.

http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Part...Oil-Cooler.jpg

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, That is freakin sweet looking, nice chrome addition also.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47348/E8EF183FA1F742E58825438C360E10FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
brewnut
Stage IV

ORIGINAL: factoryhdtech

I Live in Montana, most dont realize but it gets hot here too. Many days of summer are 90-100, although the humidity is relatively low.

I'm taking delivery of a FLHRSE4 sometime this month. It comes with an oil cooler, do you have the same concerns for the SERK 110's?

Quick Reply: Oil cooler question