Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
quigley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
maintainin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil cooler question

Back to my original question. Does anybody know if those two screws on the oil filter mount housing are for connecting oil cooler hoses?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
quigley
Tourer

ORIGINAL: brewnut

ORIGINAL: factoryhdtech

Im thinking that the weather is fairly mild there, (ie.. not crazy hot like florida or texas) in which case I would steer you away from an oil cooler. These motors need the oil to reach a certain temp in order to lubricate properly, and an oil cooler will prevent that from happening in most circumstances. If you ride at alot of rallies, or in parades, the point is mute because the oil cooler needs air to pass through it (like a car radiator) for it to be effective anyway. Hope this helps.
I Live in Montana, most dont realize but it gets hot here too. Many days of summer are 90-100, although the humidity is relatively low.

I'm taking delivery of a FLHRSE4 sometime this month. It comes with an oil cooler, do you have the same concerns for the SERK 110's?
Where in Montana are you? I'm in Missoula.
Quigley

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
brewnut
Stage IV

Quigley,

I'm in Billings, MT

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM
quigley
Tourer

I will be in Billings overnight Aug 1st on my way to Sturgis. Maybe we can have a beer (soda if you dont drink)
Quigley

Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently looking for different ways to cool my bike down, but I never thought about an oil cooler, besides it would look like a radiator, and them rice burners like to use them, trying to distance myself from that look. I upgraded the exhaust, installed a stage 3 air filter, and installed JACKELL's two inch tank lift, all of this seems to help some, but I am still in my quest.

Tank lift?!!! I know this will be off topic but where did you get it and how do you like it as far as looks and ease of installation??

Old 05-10-2008, 10:20 AM
quigley
Tourer

Im thinking that the weather is fairly mild there, (ie.. not crazy hot like florida or texas) in which case I would steer you away from an oil cooler. These motors need the oil to reach a certain temp in order to lubricate properly, and an oil cooler will prevent that from happening in most circumstances. If you ride at alot of rallies, or in parades, the point is mute because the oil cooler needs air to pass through it (like a car radiator) for it to be effective anyway. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Allways use a thermostat with a oil cooler. With the cost of new bikes a cooler is cheap insurance against overheating. If you do ride in a lot rallies, parades or heavy traffic you can allways put fans on your cooler like I did.
Quigley

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM
chaswood
Cruiser

i noticed i temp drop when i used all synthetic oil in all 3 holes. installed h-d oil cooler. changed my intake, put true duales on i also installed a fan that mounts by the horn from la Salle engineering they are on e-bay under harley fans. i fave not really had to use it much. i hope that helps you