Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Air Cleaner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM
jollie66
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaner Problems

I own an 05 Screaming Eagle Electraglide with the 103 ci Motor. Has anyone else had this problem ??? At about 5000 miles I noticed that the air cleaner cover was loose, after taking it off I noticed a major problem the 3 screw holes that hold the filter in place were pulled through and stress cracked. I got lucky that time. Dealer stated that it looked like it was over torqued ??? Lucky it didnt ingest the shrapnel that was in my hands when I took the cleaner off !!! Anyways Took it to the dealer for service at that time it was still under warranty. They found a broken motor mount also. Replaced at that time under warranty. Well last weekend same problem, Filter falling off bike, no warranty left... So I ordered the new Intake style filter to try to alliviate the broken air cleaner problems that occur about every 5000 miles. Dealer has no answer. ANY one else have this problem ??? Wish I still had my 73 Iron head Sporty, 1988 Heritage Softial, and my 2002 Road King Classic !!! No problems...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM
DETurley
Intermediate
Default RE: Air Cleaner Problems

I had the same thing happen to me on my 07 Screaming Eagle Dyna just after I had new pipes and a race tuner installed. I stopped to let a couple walk to a parking lot in front of a Walmart of all places and the air filter cover fell off onto the street. I'm lucky in 2 respects. First, it didn't fall off while riding down the street and get lost or damaged and second, I had my full face helmet on that covered the embarassment on my face as I picked it up and tucked it away in my jacket. I guess it doesn't matter how much you pay for your ride, quality doesn't discriminate. By the way, I was told the screws loosened and fell out so they put more in with loc-tite. That was 1500 miles ago and no problem so far but I'm keeping my eyes on it and my fingers crossed.
Ride Safe

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM
jollie66
6th Gear
Default RE: Air Cleaner Problems

This is not a case of loose screws. This seems to be excessive vibration to the point where it is breaking through the air cleaner !!! and since that is what the cover is held on by, a shitty design I think. I just ordered a nice velocity stack with an exposed element. Hopefully that wont break off. When I get it on I will add a picture of the old air cleaner. That is 2 filters that have turned to shrapnel where the screws go into the backplate and hold it on the bike.
Thanks for the reply though...