Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer Mods: The Good Bad and Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer Mods: The Good Bad and Ugly

I'm sure die hard Harley riders are aware of these simple mods,but as a long time biker,but new to Harley,I thought I would share these mods with others like me.

I like the sportyness of the Springer,but I needed to be able to carry misc. gear,and stuff without adding permenant bags.The Harley detachable sissy bar/luggage rack worked perfectly to acommodate aftermarket luggage.After searching the many tour bags,I decided on the Saddleman brand.They fit the bill in terms of looks,quality and function, in my eyes.

The detachable luggage rack/sissybar

The Saddleman tour pack

Very happy with this set up.

The other thing I needed was the 3 inch extended forward controls. This product was just released from Harley Davidson a couple weeks ago for the 2007 2008 SoftTails.I'm 6'2 and not that long legged,but I could use more than the 3 inches this set up gave me.Also,for several hundred dollars,I think they could have made a beter finished product.My dealer agreed(they are fantastic by the way) on the quality,or lack there of.Actually,they are awesome,they just forgot to chrome some A side views.

Note the lack of chrome on the front view.

These completely new forward controls give you 3 inches extension and are built to a high standard except for some short comings on the chrome.HD is looking into the product,since it is brand new and they have yet to get any feed back.They are going to look into the matter and get back to me.Overall,I love this bike more each day.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer Mods: The Good Bad and Ugly

I also extended my controls, I'm 6'3". I went with the Arlin Ness control extentions and had them chromed as they only come in black. It left the controls looking like they were floating in air in front of the frame so I added the spoiler to take up space. The color match looks much better in person. Harley won't release the paint number to match it so I had a local shop do it. Anyway I like the removable back rest. I might look into that myself. I like the pipes you put on it also. I went with the straight look because I liked the way it matches the straight chrome on the rear fender.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/212C89435E3D4BBBB21E3B005A9C0E07.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47469/9C7BBAA43E404E5196F0C9498D59323C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thing I might share. I went for a ride Sunday, about 100 miles. It was a little damp out and I hit a little rain. The next day I took the bike out for a short ride down town. I noticed moisture in my tach like when you get a watch wet and the tach was not working. Being the dealer is closed on Mondays I went through the testing procedures as instructed in the manual. It led me to “replace the tach”, like I didn’t know that. Well I took it into the house over night and dried it out. The next day I put it back together and it worked fine. I called the dealer and ran the story by them. They told me it usually happens to the dash indicators and Harley wouldn’t warranty it from moisture damage. So I said “your telling me I can’t ride it in the rain”? He told me well you can it just might take out the tach and dash indicators. I told him for $25000.00 I better be able to ride it any time I want. I think that’s a joke and am going to try and contact Harley direct about the issue.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jad

One other thing I might share. I went for a ride Sunday, about 100 miles. It was a little damp out and I hit a little rain. The next day I took the bike out for a short ride down town. I noticed moisture in my tach like when you get a watch wet and the tach was not working. Being the dealer is closed on Mondays I went through the testing procedures as instructed in the manual. It led me to “replace the tach”, like I didn’t know that. Well I took it into the house over night and dried it out. The next day I put it back together and it worked fine. I called the dealer and ran the story by them. They told me it usually happens to the dash indicators and Harley wouldn’t warranty it from moisture damage. So I said “your telling me I can’t ride it in the rain”? He told me well you can it just might take out the tach and dash indicators. I told him for $25000.00 I better be able to ride it any time I want. I think that’s a joke and am going to try and contact Harley direct about the issue.
Thanks for the Info. Ya think they would of at the very least put the tach in with the shift light. Not that any of us need that, but it's the cutting corners ona bike with lots of bling.
Please keep us posted.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: drogers

I'm sure die hard Harley riders are aware of these simple mods,but as a long time biker,but new to Harley,I thought I would share these mods with others like me.

I like the sportyness of the Springer,but I needed to be able to carry misc. gear,and stuff without adding permenant bags.The Harley detachable sissy bar/luggage rack worked perfectly to acommodate aftermarket luggage.After searching the many tour bags,I decided on the Saddleman brand.They fit the bill in terms of looks,quality and function, in my eyes.

The detachable luggage rack/sissybar

The Saddleman tour pack

Very happy with this set up.

The other thing I needed was the 3 inch extended forward controls. This product was just released from Harley Davidson a couple weeks ago for the 2007 2008 SoftTails.I'm 6'2 and not that long legged,but I could use more than the 3 inches this set up gave me.Also,for several hundred dollars,I think they could have made a beter finished product.My dealer agreed(they are fantastic by the way) on the quality,or lack there of.Actually,they are awesome,they just forgot to chrome some A side views.

Note the lack of chrome on the front view.

These completely new forward controls give you 3 inches extension and are built to a high standard except for some short comings on the chrome.HD is looking into the product,since it is brand new and they have yet to get any feed back.They are going to look into the matter and get back to me.Overall,I love this bike more each day.

All Nice choices! Looks good too!
Do you happen to have any part numbers for the detatchable bar, pad and rack?
Where did you get the Bags? Man they fit perfect and Look top!
I can see these in my future! LOL

Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice modifications. I like the look of the sissybar/luggage rack andthe Saddleman bags look like they will fit all of your gear well. I would take back the extended forwardcontrols and get new ones, I know those aren't inexpensive. I have had my bike at the dealer to install parts and they noticed some flawed chrome on the inner primary cover after they installed it, took it offand sent it back and installed a new piece. I would not have beenvery happyif they would have left the flawed piece on and expected me to live with it.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Guilty
I would take back the extended forwardcontrols and get new ones, I know those aren't inexpensive. I have had my bike at the dealer to install parts and they noticed some flawed chrome on the inner primary cover after they installed it, took it offand sent it back and installed a new piece. I would not have beenvery happyif they would have left the flawed piece on and expected me to live with it.
Everyone at the dealer was shaking their head at the missing/unpolished chrome.They said they are contacting HD design dept and will get back to me.The 3" forward controls are about 500 bucks,and other wise look pretty good.It's not just extension plates like I've seen elsewhere.

By the way,no I don't keep my bike in the house.That's my shop at work.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Hey drogers,
Do you happen to have any part numbers for the detatchable set up? Bar, Rack and Pad?
How about the bags? good deal? where did you purchase em?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks a bunch man.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

53953-09 - Tapered Sport Luggage Rackhttp://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

51477-06 - Upright sissybar http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

53810-00A - Detachable Sideplates - Chrome http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
-or-
53378-03A - Rigid Mount Sideplates - Chrome (non-detachable) http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

51642-03A - Medium Low Passenger Backrest Pad - Smooth, French Seam
-or-
51641-06 - Medium Low Passenger Backrest Pad - Smooth, Top-Stitched

Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
SteelhorseIride
4th Gear

Hey drogers, Could you provide me with the part# for the 3" forward controls. I can't seem to find them anywhere, Thanks

Quick Reply: 2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer Mods: The Good Bad and Ugly