Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Which is better SERT or Power Comander?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which is better SERT or Power Commander?

rjmac53 how about the terminal velocity II? been reading about this v.s. the thundermax in the fuelinjection threads

Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
klarson8
Advanced

bikerbehaviorist,
I have been chomping at the bit to get new pipes and intake on my 2008 SERK. The mechanic i use is telling me to be patient and wait on the Terminal Velocity II. It sounds like he uses this almost exclusively. He is not a "harley dealer", but he is authorized to do their warranty work. He is also very meticulous... so i am waiting!

[IMG]local://upfiles/50305/E569E0C3F8FB4000B9196BBA9ACA537D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM
mike70
Advanced

...any dealership will warranty the work they've done, is what was explained to me by the HD dealerships I spoke to (quite a few). However, any problems which may arise outside the area in which your Mechanic is located is where you'll enter the so called"GREY AREA" of what your HD warranty covers. Keep in mind that if you use the PCIII all you have to do to bring it back to stock is disconnect the device, where that's not the case with the SERT it leaves a trace. It clearly states in your warranty any aftermarket parts installed automatically VOIDS your warranty! So, I,d go with the one I can disconnect in case I'm across country when the **** hits the fan...

Mike

Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser

Let me say that if you hang pipes on a bike and add a free flowing A/C, and then DON'T get it tuned with something, HD will for SURE have grounds to void your warranty if the engine melts down due to a too lean condition. PCIII's and SERT's have been around too long, and HD is not going to fight either itself or the makers of the PCIII unless they can prove one of the devices was a direct cause of the failure in the motor. "Voiding the warranty" is just more BS spewed by some dealers. What it does do is violate the EPA laws, and the dealers (especially in California) can face heavy fines if they get checked/caught.

Regarding removing the PCIII if you have problems on the road....if you do that, and have modified the intake/exhaust, and a dealer sees that no mods have been made to the A/F mix, they will almost surely deny the claim because of a too lean running condition.

Which device is better? The one that your tuner is most comfortable with, and has the most confidence in. Both devices, and some others, will do an excellent job, but only if in the right hands. It's just a tool.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Dan_Lockwood
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike70

...any dealership will warranty the work they've done, is what was explained to me by the HD dealerships I spoke to (quite a few). However, any problems which may arise outside the area in which your Mechanic is located is where you'll enter the so called"GREY AREA" of what your HD warranty covers. Keep in mind that if you use the PCIII all you have to do to bring it back to stock is disconnect the device, where that's not the case with the SERT it leaves a trace. It clearly states in your warranty any aftermarket parts installed automatically VOIDS your warranty! So, I,d go with the one I can disconnect in case I'm across country when the **** hits the fan...

Mike
I to have an '08 SERK Annie and I'm chomping at the bit to install my new V&H Dresser Duals and Ovals with a new AC.

I was told by my dealer that with the SERT to use it you have to register it back through Harley with your VIN. In this case there is no way to use it without telling the MOCO that you have it on your bike....

Like the other have said, unhook the PCM III and it's back to stock other than the "other" add on parts, mufflers, header pipes and AC unit.

I've read about the ThunderMax Auto Tune and I think in general it will do better than just dropping a generic map into a PCM III. I've talked to two people that have the Auto Tune units and both said that they rode for quite some time very happy without a dyno tune, but after a dyno tune, they were shocked at the available hp and torque the tuner got out of their bikes.

I think for me right now, PCM III's have started to ship, I'm going to get one and do my upgrades and install a generic map for my basic upgrades and ride the bike till spring. Now it may not get ridden much this winter as St. Louis is still in the snow belt. This spring I'll get the dyno tune done, but until then it will be "safe" to ride with my upgrades and the basic map installed.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOT TRUE about needing to register the SERT. I installed mine and had no interaction with the MoCo. Just more dealers talking out their butt. I would recommend the SERT simply because it's from the MoCo and it's not another part - that could potentially fail. But, others are right - need to find a tuner that can do the SERT. Now if you're not doing anything strange - the SERT base maps should work just fine. If you're doing more than just the AC and Exhaust, then a custom tune is probably in order.

But, for example, I put in the Andrews 26G cams, 95" jugs/pistons, and V&H ovals - using the SERT Stage II map and am very happy with it.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Thanks klarson8 I am not sure what I want to do. Have doing a bunch of reading and still do not know. I want to stay basicly stock so we will see....Looks like installing the PCIII on a ABS bike is a real pain in the a$$ !!!!! My local dealer is having a 10-20 deal with 10% off non harley parts (20% on harley) and 20% off install if they do it..........?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
mike70
Advanced

This post titled"which is betterSERT or Power Commander". My commentswere towards that, not exhaust systems...that is why I wrote all you have to do is disconnect the device and the bike is back to stock.

Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

So because it looks to me like the install of a PCIII on an 08 w/ABS is a PIA I went and checked outwhat my dealer could do for me (partly because they have a part/install deal going too) the guy who does the tuning and dyno runs said that he has a couple of units that Dynojet sent him to "test" he said he would put in my bike and make me a custom map for $500. I see that FuelMoto sells this unit for less than the listed price, so I am sure he is going on list price and I am not sure how much labor would cost but like I said above it looks to be a pain in the a$$. What do you all think about this price? Also does anyone know if there is a map for a 110 motor yet or is the stock map for just a 96" motor?? I posted this in the fuel injection section but have gotten no responses so hoping you guys can give me some feedback!!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

So because it looks to me like the install of a PCIII on an 08 w/ABS is a PIA I went and checked outwhat my dealer could do for me (partly because they have a part/install deal going too) the guy who does the tuning and dyno runs said that he has a couple of units that Dynojet sent him to "test" he said he would put in my bike and make me a custom map for $500. I see that FuelMoto sells this unit for less than the listed price, so I am sure he is going on list price and I am not sure how much labor would cost but like I said above it looks to be a pain in the a$$. What do you all think about this price? Also does anyone know if there is a map for a 110 motor yet or is the stock map for just a 96" motor?? I posted this in the fuel injection section but have gotten no responses so hoping you guys can give me some feedback!!
I would be surprised if Jamie at Fuelmoto is sending PCIII's out the door without a decent "canned" map for the 110...the guy knows his stuff. However, most of the canned maps I've seen are on the rich side, just to cover all the bases.

A good dyno tune on a PCIII will cost over $200, depending on whether the tuner has the Tuning Link softwared for the PCIII (makes it easier to tune, with less time involved). That should give you apoint of reference on the $500 deal. How confident are you in your dealer's tuning ability? Do you live anywhere near Latus Performance?

Depending on where you live, I might know a couple of other excellent resouces...

Quick Reply: Which is better SERT or Power Comander?