Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

08 SE motors still a problem /??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007 | 07:14 PM
smb
Stage IV
Default RE: 08 SE motors still a problem /??

I have a 2008 flhtcuse had trouble with an oil leak behind the cans. At 5000 milles I had to have the cans replaced The harley shop said the cyl. liners had sliped. Still having some trouble with it starting, it starts fine but sometimes it sounds like it comming apart. I'm looking to change the pipes ,looking at 2 into 1 Supertrapps any body tried these?

Old 01-05-2008 | 07:29 PM
mn.roadking
Intermediate

After all these years, people still don't seem to realize that Harley motors make noise. Top end clatter is a fact of life, enhanced if you have a windshield to reflect it back at you. It is not a problem. Just think of it this way... when you're out driving across a lonely prairie, your bike is talking to you, keeping you company. Noise, seepage, backfire, etc are part of the deal. This is as close as you can come to "Being buiilt the way they used to". If you don't dick with it, a Harley motor will go 150,000 without a rebuild.
If it's quiet, smooth and bland you want...buy a Honda.

Old 01-06-2008 | 09:25 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mn.roadking

After all these years, people still don't seem to realize that Harley motors make noise. Top end clatter is a fact of life, enhanced if you have a windshield to reflect it back at you. It is not a problem. Just think of it this way... when you're out driving across a lonely prairie, your bike is talking to you, keeping you company. Noise, seepage, backfire, etc are part of the deal. This is as close as you can come to "Being buiilt the way they used to". If you don't dick with it, a Harley motor will go 150,000 without a rebuild.
If it's quiet, smooth and bland you want...buy a Honda.
Most long term Harley riders know they make noise...but valve springs hitting the inside of rocker boxes is NOT "normal Harley noise". Top end noise is normal, but improperly clearanced rocker boxes is careless design, quality control, and assembly. Further, in this day and time, there is no reason for an engine to weep oil, much less leave a puddle of engine oil on top of the transmission where the cylinders meet the cases. Again, poor QC, and poor design/manufacturing. Backfiring on an ECM controlled motor (decel popping) is not something to "just live with" either, as a competent tuner can tune that out without any problem...key word being competent.

If you pay from 20 to 35K for a bike, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect to get a motor that runs properly, does not leak oil. I thought the AMF days were behind us? Replacing pipes, A/C, and tuning a bike is not "dicking" with it....now if you start upping displacement, boring cases, high lift cams, etc, that's a different story.

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:57 AM
Black Diamond 110
Cruiser

My 08 SE Road King has an oil weep at the rear head gasket w/less than 3800 miles on her. After breaking her down, we discovered the cylinder liner shifted causing the gasket to lose seal. Harley know they have a cylinder problem with the 110's. The service rep told the guys at my shop this is a known problem. The MoCo has come out with another (third or forth, I've lost count) head gasket to "fix" the problem. I the liner is moving, it doesn't matter what head gasket you use.

We asked the Tech service guys in Milwakee if they are making correction to the cylinders they are shipping out as replacements. The replacement cylinders are identical to the cylinders that are failing. If it fails again, they will replace it...again....and so it goes.

I am not a Harley basher. I have owned a lot of Harleys. I love this 08 machine. Best riding Harley I've ever had. I still have an 84 Low Glide and an 03 Fat Boy. They are dependable machines. Harley has a problem with the 110's and to date have not stepped up to the plate to make it right. Right now the bean counters are overruling those that know how to make a great bike. I'm sure it will change in time, or they will go out of business which none of us want to see. But for now, I am replacing my cylinders with Axtell's. Don't want to ride from Illinois to Alaska worrying about the ticking cylinder timebomb.

JW

Old 01-26-2008 | 07:55 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

My front cylinder did it and they replaced both and I was told it was the liner shifting and that it is a known manufacturing problem.... if it happens again maybe I should look into Axtell's - the hell with the warranty

Old 02-25-2008 | 09:25 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

The fix will be when HD starts using cylinders like JIMS or AXTELL, Probably others. LinersMUCH thicker and cast in. Seems a cheaper fix than replacing engins. My 3.938 bore hasthicker liners nowthan HD stock. Probably double a bore out. I expect the 117 Axtell has that for you 110 guys. Or 113.
Just a cylinder problem HD has made a pissing up a tree contest problem.

Old 02-25-2008 | 12:05 PM
drogers
Tourer

How much is it to switch over to Axtells?

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:41 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I got my 107 (106.56) from NRHS Performancefor $940. That was for a set of Axtell 3.938 cylinders, forged flat top pistons (JE) and rings. For $60, Daniel Dunn, the owner I believe, fitted the piston and rings for me. End gap just too importand here.The set came with one side of the pin fitted to each piston. Comes with a bottom Evo gasket Axtell says use with 'O" rings also. Also an 0.040 Comitic gasket comes.I used a 0.030 instead. Very, very pleased. E-mail or over the phone, easy to talk with. Some very good tech articals also at their site.

Completely all set up for me. Complete instructions. $1000.00 even, total. I did all the work. And put other things on but I didn't think that was too bad a price. About what others wanted for SE cylinders and pistons. Course there is the warrenty issue.

I'm sure there is something for the case bored 110 engins, probably 117 in.

The thing would be piston weigth. Stay with forged. and be careful with Compression ratio. Use S&S break in recommendations. Helps rings live.

Old 02-29-2008 | 04:23 PM
klarson8
Advanced

I guess i joined the club today. 2260 miles and noticed a slight weep when I was at the HD Dealer picking up parts! They pulled it in and said it had a bad gasket on the rear cylinder head. They are going to replace front and back. Don't know if it is a cylinderliner yet. Will keep you posted.