Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

08 SE motors still a problem /??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 04:27 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate
Default RE: 08 SE motors still a problem /??

I have a question for ya'll (guess where I'm from... TX) I have a a 113 and only use AMSOIL. AMSOIL after first 500 miles, then again at 2500, then again at 7500. My oil seems low. It is filled to specifications, and checked properly at the dipstick - after a month or two oflong hot rides... it will actually read low and needs to be filled. It this normal? It also has a vance hines propipe, racing baffle, and kuryakyn skull breather.

Old 12-18-2007 | 04:45 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: yellowtailfan

I have a question for ya'll (guess where I'm from... TX) I have a a 113 and only use AMSOIL. AMSOIL after first 500 miles, then again at 2500, then again at 7500. My oil seems low. It is filled to specifications, and checked properly at the dipstick - after a month or two oflong hot rides... it will actually read low and needs to be filled. It this normal? It also has a vance hines propipe, racing baffle, and kuryakyn skull breather.

How low is low? If it's using a quart between changes, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Does it puke oil out the A/C?

Old 12-18-2007 | 06:00 PM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate

I'd guesstimate maybe a little bit less than a 1/4 of a quart after a few months of good riding. I've taken off the breather a few times to see if there's any buildup or signs of something...nothing.And I've have some buddies say when I really lay into it and take off there is a poof of black smoke... you think it's accumulating in there and not "recombusting" correctly or perhaps too much ending up in there?

Old 12-18-2007 | 08:17 PM
rbabos
Banned

I'd guesstimate maybe a little bit less than a 1/4 of a quart after a few months of good riding. I've taken off the breather a few times to see if there's any buildup or signs of something...nothing.And I've have some buddies say when I really lay into it and take off there is a poof of black smoke... you think it's accumulating in there and not "recombusting" correctly or perhaps too much ending up in there?
1/4 quart in a few months riding. You better junk it. Seriously, it's impossible for an engine to run forever without using some oil, and as a matter of fact the ones that don't use as much won't last as long in the cylinder department. The amount you are using is very acceptable in my book.
Ron

Old 12-19-2007 | 08:03 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

I would not be concerned at all about 1/4 quart...disclaimer: that is my opinioin.

If you have blowby, you will notice the air filter getting saturated with oil on the bottom, especially after a high speed (high RPM) run...when it gets saturated, it will drip a bit down onto the cam chest cover...most people call that "puking". There are all kinds of products out there to "cure" that, some work, most don't. It's really not anything to be concerned about and is a characteristic of the motors.

My bike will "use" 1/2 quart, then settle, and not use much more. I've got a CVO 103" motor. I can fill it up to the full mark, and it will just blow the 1/2 quart back out over time and settle back down. This is not uncommon, depending on how a person rides. Because these motors are air cooled, they are not as "tight" as your car engine, so a little oil useage is to be expected. The puff of black smoke you are talking about is more than likely fuel and not oil...oil burning is usually more of a smokey gray in color. If your plugs are a nice tan color, don't worry about it, just ride.

Old 12-19-2007 | 10:34 AM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. This is my first high performance harley engine and I'm learning as I go. I will continue to keep a quart of amsoil in my saddle bag and roll on! Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2007 | 01:52 PM
js124
Tourer

Got a call from the harley rep . There will be a new 110 in a crate in two weeks to go in the 07 SEUC . He wasn't going to let them replace the cylinder again .

Old 12-19-2007 | 08:46 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: js124

Got a call from the harley rep . There will be a new 110 in a crate in two weeks to go in the 07 SEUC . He wasn't going to let them replace the cylinder again .
Great!!! I know of a couple of folks who have had their engine replace after a couple of repairs, so maybe HD is on to something, even if they won't admit to it yet. Wish you the best on the new motor!!!

Old 12-21-2007 | 05:18 PM
acedantinne
Tourer

97,500 miles
On 08? I dont think so. Just do the math. You would have to purchase the bike in March of 07. Ride every minute of the day to even come close?

Bill Gutsky

titleAndStar(16,0,0,false,"Banned Troll",")
Banned Troll

[align=center][/align]
Since we spoke last it is now 98100 [align=right]
[/align]

Old 12-26-2007 | 10:45 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

Yeesh I thought these days were in harleys past leaking, noisy unreliable motors... they just HAD to fiddle with the TC88/95/103? that seemed to be a pretty reliable motor... my heart goes out to you guys and even though I average a new harley every 18 months I think I'll be sitting on the wallet for the time being and waiting for the fix, or the radiator to come

Quick Reply: 08 SE motors still a problem /??