Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

95" Screaming Eagle engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95" Screaming Eagle engine???

I just wanted to put this out there to you guys. I have a question or two about my 03' FXSTD-SE CVO Deuce. I bought this bike back in July and at the time the PO was not available to question about the bike....I had to deal with his son. As you know the engine is a 95" (1550cc) power plant with SE flat top pistons and a 10.25:1 compression ratio. When I got the bike the intake looked as though it has had a stage 1 install of some sort. It still has the stock air cleaner cover, but the back cover was removed, and there is a K&N type element in there (I understand that the MOCO was using them back then). The exhaust was not stock either.....looking like some sort of no name slip on's were installed.
I have since changed all the fluids, oil filter....installed new plugs, and Taylor Thunder Volt plug wires. I have basically done the entire 5K service....and installed a set of V&H Big Rad pipes.....I did all the work myself.

The bike runs fine....and I have checked the plugs several times and they are a nice tan color although a bit lighter than I would like. The only time it feels a bit funny.....like it had a slight stumble at 0-1/4 throttle at low RPM, and light load. Any other time it runs very strong.

What I want to know is if there were any downloads, or upgrades to the ECM. I can find no evidence of any aftermarket fuel management products, but how would I know if a stage-1 DL was done, or if a SERT was installed? If I take it to the dealer and have them check it out would they be able to tell me exactly what was previously done to the bike...as far as the ECM at least?

I would also like to install a set of higher performance cams...gear driven, but I dont know if these SE's came off the line with different cams than the standard 88ci of the time....or if a set of SE cams were installed at the factory.....thats my other question. If anyone knows for sure what the stock cams were, and what would be a good upgrade it would be very helpful.

Thanks Bros!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 95" Screaming Eagle engine???

I also just purchased an 03' CVO and have some of the same questions on the cams and down load. Mine has 1600 miles on it, but now that I have it the miles will soon increase. Runs perfect so far. Want to go easy with the low miles,and so the high RPM's are a few miles away.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
46knuck
Tourer

[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 AM
seultra
Novice

ORIGINAL: biz44

I just wanted to put this out there to you guys. I have a question or two about my 03' FXSTD-SE CVO Deuce. I bought this bike back in July and at the time the PO was not available to question about the bike....I had to deal with his son. As you know the engine is a 95" (1550cc) power plant with SE flat top pistons and a 10.25:1 compression ratio. When I got the bike the intake looked as though it has had a stage 1 install of some sort. It still has the stock air cleaner cover, but the back cover was removed, and there is a K&N type element in there (I understand that the MOCO was using them back then). The exhaust was not stock either.....looking like some sort of no name slip on's were installed.
I have since changed all the fluids, oil filter....installed new plugs, and Taylor Thunder Volt plug wires. I have basically done the entire 5K service....and installed a set of V&H Big Rad pipes.....I did all the work myself.

The bike runs fine....and I have checked the plugs several times and they are a nice tan color although a bit lighter than I would like. The only time it feels a bit funny.....like it had a slight stumble at 0-1/4 throttle at low RPM, and light load. Any other time it runs very strong.

What I want to know is if there were any downloads, or upgrades to the ECM. I can find no evidence of any aftermarket fuel management products, but how would I know if a stage-1 DL was done, or if a SERT was installed? If I take it to the dealer and have them check it out would they be able to tell me exactly what was previously done to the bike...as far as the ECM at least?

I would also like to install a set of higher performance cams...gear driven, but I dont know if these SE's came off the line with different cams than the standard 88ci of the time....or if a set of SE cams were installed at the factory.....thats my other question. If anyone knows for sure what the stock cams were, and what would be a good upgrade it would be very helpful.

Thanks Bros!
biz,
if my memory serves me correctly the 95ci EFI Screamin Eagle powerplant came from the factory with 9.4:1 compression and SE203 cams. It was only the STAGE III kit that provided the flat top, cast 10.25:1 pistons and that is still only static compression. I'd expect like any other to be slightly less "real world". Easy to do a compression check to determine and while your at it have them do a leak down to verify a good seal.

The cams are decent for that motor. However a good set of cams with around .570 lift would vastly improve your torque if your compression is truely over 10:1. SE 257's, S&S 570G, Andrews 59G's or Woods TW6 cams would all be good choices.

I don't know about the air cleaner backing plate. My gues is that it is aftermarket - Arlen Ness, or SE aftermarket.

However, I'd suggest getting a good dyno run/eval to determine your current avg AFR. Most likeley it's high - above 15:1 which could be contributing to that flat spot your feeling.You'd be remiss in assuming a flash, or downlaod has been done. I'd opt for proof. A good dyno tuner should be able to provide real numbers and make suggestions on reliability and performance without sacrificing longevity.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Keats
Intermediate

I have the same bike and I added a stage 1 kit which sounds like what I have, a stock Harley Kit removed the stock backplate and opened up airflow using the same cover. i kept the old parts in case I wanted to switch back.
It was a K&N filter element .

I believe you have a Harley Stage 1 kit on the bike

Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 PM
EagleID
Stage IV

BIZ-44
Here are the numbers for the stock 03 FXSTDSE ECM: ECM Part Number 32934-03 and the download Part Number is 32938-03/A or B or C (the ABC are revision number depending on the manufacture date). You need to have a dealer or someone with an ECM scanner to get your Download Number off your ECM. I checked with MoCo on the download on my exact same bike and they said that there is no "new" download other than the one they installed at the CVO.

Don't look at this bike like you do a normal TC88 with all of the Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. jargon. This bike came out of MoCo CVO as a bit of a different animal. It came with the SE Stage II 1550 Big Bore Kit installed.I was told that the ECM Download for this motor was specially crafted by MoCo and there is NO MoCo ECM download upgrade available for it.

If you want to do any fuel/ignition management on this bike you'll need to go with an SE Race Tuner or aftermarket tuner. I have a Power Commander PCIIIr on mine, for example. If you have a performance exhaust system that's replaced the "stock" 03 SE Deuce system you'll probably need a fuel/ignition management add-on to enrichen this pup. Mine has a SE Pro 2:1 exhaust and it runs quite lean without enrichment from the PC. If you do anything along the line of fuel/ignition management, be darn well sure that anyone working on your bike knows the ECM base map number(don't dink with that) andany supplemental add-on tuner maps they use are 95" ballparkmaps.In fact, you'll probably be hard pressed to get a "stock upgrade" map from any of the tuner manufacturers so you'll be starting with something in the general ballpark until you get it customized for your bike (dyno tune session or tweak tweak garage & drive session ).

As for the intake, it's basically an SEStage IAir Cleaner & Breather Kit P/N 29773-02C, but the backplate is teardrop shaped (not round). The air cleaner is a K&N.If you buy an SE Stage 1 Kit for it you are wasting money - it came with a so called SE Stage 1 kit.

The general engine specs from the brochure are as follows:
ENGINE
Engine 45º Screamin’ Eagle® Twin Cam 95B™ (balanced)
Valves Pushrod-operated overhead valves; w/ hydraulic
self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke 3.88 x 4.0 in. (98.43 x 101.6 mm)
Displacement 95 cu. in. (1550 cc)
Compression Ratio 9.4:1
Fuel System Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection
(single runner, 45mm throttle bore ESPFI)
Lubrication System Dry sump, internally mounted, crank driven
gerotor pressure and dual scavenge pump
with spin on 10µ pressurized oil filter

Get the following Manuals that are special for your bike:
03 FXSTDSE Parts Catalog P/N 99430-03
03 FXSTDSE Service Manual Supplement P/N 99494-03
The stock 03 Softail Service Manual P/N 99482-03 will round you off.

I hope that this helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 PM
46knuck
Tourer

Good stuff, thank you.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 PM
JimmySG
Cruiser

I had a hesitation at low rpm's, this guy got rid of it at a show in NNJ. www.drdyno.com give him a call b4 you dyno it.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: EagleID

BIZ-44
Here are the numbers for the stock 03 FXSTDSE ECM: ECM Part Number 32934-03 and the download Part Number is 32938-03/A or B or C (the ABC are revision number depending on the manufacture date). You need to have a dealer or someone with an ECM scanner to get your Download Number off your ECM. I checked with MoCo on the download on my exact same bike and they said that there is no "new" download other than the one they installed at the CVO.

Don't look at this bike like you do a normal TC88 with all of the Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. jargon. This bike came out of MoCo CVO as a bit of a different animal. It came with the SE Stage II 1550 Big Bore Kit installed.I was told that the ECM Download for this motor was specially crafted by MoCo and there is NO MoCo ECM download upgrade available for it.

If you want to do any fuel/ignition management on this bike you'll need to go with an SE Race Tuner or aftermarket tuner. I have a Power Commander PCIIIr on mine, for example. If you have a performance exhaust system that's replaced the "stock" 03 SE Deuce system you'll probably need a fuel/ignition management add-on to enrichen this pup. Mine has a SE Pro 2:1 exhaust and it runs quite lean without enrichment from the PC. If you do anything along the line of fuel/ignition management, be darn well sure that anyone working on your bike knows the ECM base map number(don't dink with that) andany supplemental add-on tuner maps they use are 95" ballparkmaps.In fact, you'll probably be hard pressed to get a "stock upgrade" map from any of the tuner manufacturers so you'll be starting with something in the general ballpark until you get it customized for your bike (dyno tune session or tweak tweak garage & drive session ).

As for the intake, it's basically an SEStage IAir Cleaner & Breather Kit P/N 29773-02C, but the backplate is teardrop shaped (not round). The air cleaner is a K&N.If you buy an SE Stage 1 Kit for it you are wasting money - it came with a so called SE Stage 1 kit.

The general engine specs from the brochure are as follows:
ENGINE
Engine 45º Screamin’ Eagle® Twin Cam 95B™ (balanced)
Valves Pushrod-operated overhead valves; w/ hydraulic
self-adjusting lifters; two valves per cylinder
Bore x Stroke 3.88 x 4.0 in. (98.43 x 101.6 mm)
Displacement 95 cu. in. (1550 cc)
Compression Ratio 9.4:1
Fuel System Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection
(single runner, 45mm throttle bore ESPFI)
Lubrication System Dry sump, internally mounted, crank driven
gerotor pressure and dual scavenge pump
with spin on 10µ pressurized oil filter

Get the following Manuals that are special for your bike:
03 FXSTDSE Parts Catalog P/N 99430-03
03 FXSTDSE Service Manual Supplement P/N 99494-03
The stock 03 Softail Service Manual P/N 99482-03 will round you off.

I hope that this helps.

Yhanks for the info bro. I recently had the SERT installed and the bike dyno tuned. The numbers were very respectable before the work, but after the install I am a happy boy! My numbers are now 94hp/99tq, and she pulls like a freight train. I have the dyno sheet, and will try to post it up.

That was a bad scan of the paper, but you get the general idea. i think the engine still has more in it, but I am happy for now. The service manager at my local dealer and the dyno tech there both told me that this

Old 01-19-2008, 03:39 PM
JimmySG
Cruiser

I thought with the SE Perf. heads the comp. ratio went to 10:1

Quick Reply: 95" Screaming Eagle engine???