Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

08 110ci

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 110ci

ORIGINAL: Blueslover

ORIGINAL: juslearnin

I am looking to trade my 05 heritage with 9K miles that I have had zero problems with for maybe the FXDSE2. I am concerned also. I have read more than a few internet blogs about the 110. Still searching. With tighter EPA on the 08, my concern is HEAT as well as the problems mentioned caused by lugging.

It would be great to hear from a certified HD mech or service writer. Course someone from the plant would be even better.
And you expect a tech or a service writer to know? Or someone at the plant for that matter? You must have better experiences at your HD dealer than most people I know. How many 110's do you think the average SW or tech sees or works on? If it's a large dealership, maybe they see 10 or 12 of these motors a year.

The majority of people who are reporting problems with the 110's are not seeing the problem until the motor has 5K or more miles on it. Most people will not notice the head gasket leak until oil starts dripping onto the tranny cover, or that area. Or, the leak may show itself around the base...or, the leak may not show at all for a while, but the oil is leaking into the combustion chamber and being burned in the combustion process.

On the CVO forum, if you consider that a representative sample of CVO owners, way more than 50% of the owners of 110's have had head gaskets replaced, cylinders replaced, etc....some more than once. Case in point...07 SEUC had leaking head gasket at approx 6K. Gasket replaces just prior to a long trip. 7K later, gasket is leaking again. Some have done this as many as 3 times. Some of the people have not had a problem yet...no explanation for the difference.

If you ride your bike like the average HD rider, 5K miles per year, you'll not notice the problem in the first year of ownership. Maybe in the second. Then you're out of waranty, unless you get the extended, and it's your problem, not the MOCO's. The MOCO is playing the odds, just like they did with the TC cam problems back in '99.

No doubt, there will be a solution to the problem, but only if people stay on the MOCO's a$$ when they have a problem with the leaks, etc.

I could not disagree more, there are 4,164 members of the CVO site, lets just say for sake of argument that 500 of them are 07 owners. According to your calculations way more than 250 of those 500 have had engine problems, if that were the case it would be the number one topic everyday, members would constantly be bitching about moco and the POS 110 engine. Where in actuality, engine problems are just a small smattering of the posts. Everyone agrees that heat is a problem with the 110’s but it can be moderated at your expense of installing a few mods. I totally agree that there have been several cases of the aforementioned problems reported but I would bet that if you wanted to take the time to analyze all the post with riders that have experienced engine problems, it would be less than 5%, still an unacceptable level but far less than >50%.

Gregg

Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

I have had a SH*T load of warranty items performed on my '07 SERK (leaks, peeling chrome, paint issues, etc...). To be honest, I would never buy another one again!

BTW: The bike is only about 5 months old with 700 miles!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

ORIGINAL: Blueslover

ORIGINAL: juslearnin

I am looking to trade my 05 heritage with 9K miles that I have had zero problems with for maybe the FXDSE2. I am concerned also. I have read more than a few internet blogs about the 110. Still searching. With tighter EPA on the 08, my concern is HEAT as well as the problems mentioned caused by lugging.

It would be great to hear from a certified HD mech or service writer. Course someone from the plant would be even better.
And you expect a tech or a service writer to know? Or someone at the plant for that matter? You must have better experiences at your HD dealer than most people I know. How many 110's do you think the average SW or tech sees or works on? If it's a large dealership, maybe they see 10 or 12 of these motors a year.

The majority of people who are reporting problems with the 110's are not seeing the problem until the motor has 5K or more miles on it. Most people will not notice the head gasket leak until oil starts dripping onto the tranny cover, or that area. Or, the leak may show itself around the base...or, the leak may not show at all for a while, but the oil is leaking into the combustion chamber and being burned in the combustion process.

On the CVO forum, if you consider that a representative sample of CVO owners, way more than 50% of the owners of 110's have had head gaskets replaced, cylinders replaced, etc....some more than once. Case in point...07 SEUC had leaking head gasket at approx 6K. Gasket replaces just prior to a long trip. 7K later, gasket is leaking again. Some have done this as many as 3 times. Some of the people have not had a problem yet...no explanation for the difference.

If you ride your bike like the average HD rider, 5K miles per year, you'll not notice the problem in the first year of ownership. Maybe in the second. Then you're out of waranty, unless you get the extended, and it's your problem, not the MOCO's. The MOCO is playing the odds, just like they did with the TC cam problems back in '99.

No doubt, there will be a solution to the problem, but only if people stay on the MOCO's a$$ when they have a problem with the leaks, etc.

I could not disagree more, there are 4,164 members of the CVO site, lets just say for sake of argument that 500 of them are 07 owners. According to your calculations way more than 250 of those 500 have had engine problems, if that were the case it would be the number one topic everyday, members would constantly be bitching about moco and the POS 110 engine. Where in actuality, engine problems are just a small smattering of the posts. Everyone agrees that heat is a problem with the 110’s but it can be moderated at your expense of installing a few mods. I totally agree that there have been several cases of the aforementioned problems reported but I would bet that if you wanted to take the time to analyze all the post with riders that have experienced engine problems, it would be less than 5%, still an unacceptable level but far less than >50%.

Gregg
It has dominated much of the posting on the site for quite some time. Most of the problems reported so far have been with the Ultras and the RK's, simply because those owners typically ride the bikes, and put more miles on them. The majority of those riders have posted problems with their bikes, some as quickly as 10 miles from the dealership. I have not taken the time to calculate the statistics, but can assure you that of that group, it is a significant number who have not only had ONE problem, but mulitiple trips to the dealer, with a great deal of down time, for the SAME problem presenting itself again and again. Just tod

Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced

Agreed, 10 out of 10 is far more than a coincidence but I still refuse to believe the number anywhere near approaches 50% overall, there would be a public outcry from the HD faithful, but I can see where you’re coming from with firsthand knowledge of that many failures. If there were that many problems with $30K - $35K motorcycles, every one of us would be on these boards campaigning to boycott the moco and their unreliable overpriced products. I sure would be interested to find out the root cause of all those failures, batch of inferior parts, faulty design, manufacturing process, sure would hate to think is was related to the strike and malicious activity by disgruntled employees?

Gregg

Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

2007 SE Ultra, 1 year Old, 5K Miles, SERT, had a intake manifold leak, once fixed, she runs great, no more heat problems, runs strong, no oil leaks, no Tranny problems,I love the bike. I do have the 7 year ext Warranty keeping me safe.
Scott

Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 PM
wvr1sxh
1st Gear

Is the SERT out for the 08 100ci?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

Agreed, 10 out of 10 is far more than a coincidence but I still refuse to believe the number anywhere near approaches 50% overall, there would be a public outcry from the HD faithful, but I can see where you’re coming from with firsthand knowledge of that many failures. If there were that many problems with $30K - $35K motorcycles, every one of us would be on these boards campaigning to boycott the moco and their unreliable overpriced products. I sure would be interested to find out the root cause of all those failures, batch of inferior parts, faulty design, manufacturing process, sure would hate to think is was related to the strike and malicious activity by disgruntled employees?

Gregg
The issue, as has been illustrated on the CVO forum, for one, is the head gasket itself. They (HD) have already come out with a replacement that is an 07A version...still not working, as replacement gaskets have gone in for second and third repairs. Now, problems are surfacing with the liners separating from the cylinders, and that, along with the problems with the head gaskets, are allowing oil to migrate down between the cylinder wall and the liner, or around the cylinder bolts, down the bolts, and leaking from the O rings at the cylinder base. Cometic gaskets MAY be a fix, and a few on the CVO site have taken it upon themselves to fix this issue on their own.

Public outcry....I mean nothing personal here...but you have got to be kidding. Do you really think the MOCO gives a chit about that? There are enough HD faithful out there that they almost EXPECT things to be wrong that they have to fix themselves to make the bike run like it should. 35K or not, they do not care, and will deny the problem until they are forced to admit there IS a problem. Do you have to go put another 2K into a Goldwing or BMW to just get it not to burn the inside of your thighs? I have an 06 SE103...they have their own problems (cam chain tensioner shoes...again something HD KNOWS will eventually cause catostrophiic failure in the engine, but have refused to even include in the periodic maintenance schedule), but at least it is a KNOWN problem since 99 and can be fixed with gear drive cams. Of course, that voids your warranty.

The MOCO could give a chit whether the bike costs 15K or 35K. As I said before, the average rider puts 5K a year on their bike, so no problems show up in the first two years of warranty, then it's your problem. All that will change in time, but only when the old faithful aren't buying new bikes every two years.

Most people don't even know they have a head gasket leak until somebody who knows shows it to them.

Does anybody here remember the problems HD had with the cam bearings in the early Twin Cam engines? Did HD step up to the plate with a recall, or give an "extended warranty" to the owners?

I LOVE my HD, but if I were considering a purchase of an 08, knowing what I know now, I would think twice. They will eventually come up with a fix for those who put the miles on their bikes and I honestly hope that for every owner of an 07 or 08, but watch your bike, and RIDE it!

The crankshafts, by the way, are now made in CHINA.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero issues with the '07 110" here. None. Zip. Have owned six H-D's and this one is by far the finest. From today's ride...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
humblepiee30
Novice

hi, i have a 110 2007 fxdse with 6300 miles. i have recently noticed a ticking noise from the front jug. not sure what the problem is but i will say the 110 engines seem to have issues.i am gonna take bike to the dealers for inspection.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'07 110 engine: Oil leaks from head gaskets and base gaskets confirmed yesterday by dealer. They are ordering new gaskets for me. Also, my auto compression releases were turned "off" in the software, causing me hard starting. Related? I doubt it unless everyone's is off also.

Aproximately 5500 miles when leaks started. Have 6500 miles now. Will probably ride as-is until late fall so I don't lose riding time. I am supposedly the 1st with leaks at my dealership, but I also have the "oldest" 110 engine with the most miles.

Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: 08 110ci