Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO Softail Convertible Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:58 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 549 Likes on 348 Posts
Question CVO Softail Convertible Thoughts?

Ok, so I've been reading through the Softail and Heritage threads for the past several months. Bottom line, I have an 02 Wide Glide which is awesome but only for about 80 miles. After that I just get tired and sore. Based on test rides and having a Heritage rental for 5 days, I thought I had made my decision on a 2018+

HOWEVER, I like lots of chrome so I am limited with choices - especially colors that I like. That said, I am now also considering a 2010 CVO Convertible. Wow, chrome until next week!

In spite of it's age, I sit nice and low and the bike is not "heavy" It just needs higher bars. I just have not yet done a test ride.

My question is, we're now in 2022, some of the HDforums Convertible references are old....For those that own a 2010-2012, and have ridden for thousands of miles now, what are your honest thoughts? I should mention, I also had a tailbone injury in October, so I have many reasons for having a comfortable ride.

Can I go for hundred of miles like on a Heritage in comfort? Any mechanical issues? Any cosmetic issues and how did you address them? Are there options for upgraded suspension?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2022, 07:44 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

Sharp bike! Seat can always be changed out if the one on it isn't comfortable.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:39 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tony_N
Sharp bike! Seat can always be changed out if the one on it isn't comfortable.
Thanks! We'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I received an email yesterday that someone out of state put a deposit on it. But at the same time, I found a Kinetic Green 2019 Heritage from the HD dealer that gave my wife an AMAZING deal on her 2021 last year. All the stars were lined up on that day for sure!

Anyway, the position on the CVO felt good. The seat itself felt a little hard, but, with my injury I will almost certainly be contacting Mean City for an upgrade anyway - no matter what I decide to purchase.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:04 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I almost bought one but because I already have a Softail Standard I went with a 2014 CVO Road King. It has the hard bags, floor boards, 14" bars, quick detach windshield, sissy and passenger pillion. I like the stability and ride of the FLH frame over the FXST on a longer ride. The Convertible is a sweet bike though, can't go wrong with it.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:32 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I almost bought one but because I already have a Softail Standard I went with a 2014 CVO Road King. It has the hard bags, floor boards, 14" bars, quick detach windshield, sissy and passenger pillion. I like the stability and ride of the FLH frame over the FXST on a longer ride. The Convertible is a sweet bike though, can't go wrong with it.
I really do wish I liked the RK. I like the look, the colors, the hard bags. They just don't fit me. I am short so the seat is too wide. Depending on the year, I keep hitting my leg on the passenger floorboards. And my posture is too straight up. I like higher bars with a low seat and tend to lean back a bit. Old school stance I guess.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:27 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 255 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
I really do wish I liked the RK. I like the look, the colors, the hard bags. They just don't fit me. I am short so the seat is too wide. Depending on the year, I keep hitting my leg on the passenger floorboards. And my posture is too straight up. I like higher bars with a low seat and tend to lean back a bit. Old school stance I guess.
You could have Mean City Cycles shave the seat in the thigh area (that makes a huge difference). If your wife already has a bike you can take the passenger floorboards off or adjust. Also pull the bars back some.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 245 Likes on 133 Posts

I loved mine!! Had an Air Hawk seat pad on it, which is less than $100, that worked out great. Mean City told me they don't work on CVO seats?? Some 110's needed work on lifters.....I had no problems at 28K on mine....it is an awesome bike, and can handle long 500 mile days.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:03 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Thanks for all the thoughts so far! To clarify, this 2010 has almost 40k miles. A little high I think, but it is less than 15 years old so I do have the opportunity to purchase a HD extended warranty. That does have extensive coverage, so if I get it gone over in detail, I'd feel confident. Especially for the $ since we are still paying on my wife's 2021 Heritage. I mean vs. a 2018+ Heritage purchase

However, the whole idea of the bike, is to be comfortable on long trips. I need to feel confident hundreds of miles from home. That does keep me scratching my head.

Note: WRE4U, I actually do have a Airhawk. I've been using it on the longer trips for years with my 02 Wide Glide. While it has helped, I was hoping to skip using it with a "new" bike purchase.

This actually may not come to pass since I was just told someone from out of state just put a deposit on it. It's January and the dealer has had the bike since October!! Just my luck.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Shelstin
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my 2010 a lot. For me, it is much smoother and more comfortable than my old evo RK.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:25 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Thank you all for your insights! We can certainly keep this thread going for anyone else who may benefit from it.

But to let everyone know, a few weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Heritage. I got a decent deal plus a nice gratis gift card which will allow me to do some minor cosmetic changes (bars, grips etc).

Quick Reply: CVO Softail Convertible Thoughts?