Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Cleaning Bronze Armor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021 | 09:33 PM
harley97
|
Intermediate
Default Cleaning Bronze Armor

For those with the 2021 Bronze Armor CVO, what are you using to clean them? The dealer washed it and left residue/streaks all over it. Most noticeable on the black and the pipes. I used F11, which worked great on the paint, but not on the black parts or on the pipes. I also tried windex, which Ive used on all my other bikes, that did better on the black parts, but still didn't do well on the pipes.

Old 03-31-2021 | 03:36 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

You should be able to wash the bike with a decent car wash product and wipe the powder coated stuff quickly with a dry micro fiber rag without streaks or residue. F11 is awesome stuff, I use Lucas shine, does a good job and a lot cheaper.

Old 03-31-2021 | 07:07 AM
mazz
Road Master

dealers washing bikes in San Diego . rode out to SD from Chicago area 15 years ago caught quite a bit of rain and mud and dirt along the way and needed and oil change when i got there . Spent my 100 for the oil change but the bike was still covered in dirt from the trip . asked the shop guys why they didn't wash it . they said it was too dirty to wash evidently they don't use water just some waterless soap solution and it would scratch bikes if they are real dirty , i dont know if this was a dumb thing HD service guys said or the truth!!

The following users liked this post:
harley97 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021 | 06:54 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master

I would not of left and had them take care of it.

Old 03-31-2021 | 07:55 PM
Grousehunter
Cruiser

I have been using Harley Gloss after the wash. Best I have found so far.

Old 03-31-2021 | 08:35 PM
CPD
Cruiser

My process hasn't changed with the Bronze Armor. First of all I never wash a bike using a hose unless I get caught in the rain, I then only use it to get under the fenders, wheels and lower frame areas.
My regular cleaning starts with lightly pulling the dust/dirt off with a California Duster or Swiffer dusters. I like the Swiffer dusters more now as they do a good job and no worries that I transfer dirt after a couple of uses.
Then I use a bucket with cold water mixed with Pledge furniture polish and apply with a microfiber cloth. This is done with very little liquid, the cloth is just damp. For the bugs and bug splatter I use more of the mixture to "rehydrate" the remains before rubbing them into the paint.
I do the entire bike this way, all painted areas 1st, then all chrome/black/and now bronze parts, then lower frame areas and wheels.
Then I wax everything including all glass surfaces like gauges and mirrors, except any rubber, leather or vinyl with Turtle Wax Ice Shine and Shield spray which is applied with a microfiber cloth.
Look this stuff up on YouTube it's pretty amazing and very inexpensive.
The results are worth the time.
Good luck!!

Old 03-31-2021 | 11:39 PM
harley97
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

Kojak - I've owned Harleys for over 20 years, the bronze armor is a different beast.

Mazz and Hawg Runner- I don't expect the dealers to do a good job washing bikes. They employ high school kids for this. The point there was that whatever product they used left streaks. My guess is it was the Harley Gloss.

Grousehunter - No offense, but Harley Gloss is one of the worst products I have ever used to clean Harleys.

CPD - I have always heard of people using pledge but never tried it myself, I think i will give it a go. I also didn't know Swiffer made a duster, I've been using the California duster for years now. Wax is wax, that part is easy

Old 04-01-2021 | 05:51 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

I don’t have streaks, lol.

Originally Posted by harley97
Thanks for the replies.

Kojak - I've owned Harleys for over 20 years, the bronze armor is a different beast.

Old 04-01-2021 | 05:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Windex and Pledge. Leave the water to the weather you get caught out in. Then if you get the chance, dry it off. Only cleaning mine ever got.
Paint still looks new. Even the chrome except some of it that is over aluminum like the risers and the hand levers.

Old 09-05-2021 | 07:10 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser

Just got a CVO Roadglide in Bronze and it sucks to clean those heat shields. So far what works is just regular Harley chrome polish and finish up with Windex. They look brand new after that. One ride and the bug splatter really sticks on these so be ready to clean them a lot. Make sure they are cold before you put anything in them. Look great but they are a pain.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Bronze Armor