Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Crate 131ci vs 131ci Upgrade Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 08:15 AM
al_ferguson01
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Crate 131ci vs 131ci Upgrade Kit?

Hi folks,

Was at the H.D. dealership this weekend and asked them the price difference between installing a crate 131ci motor and buying the 131ci upgrade kit including labor to do the job (on whichever choice you make – crate/kit). The price difference they quoted was $900 higher to go with the crate vs going with the upgrade. This was for my 2019 CVO Street Glide (117ci). I won’t even consider this until my warranty is done but never hurts to plan ahead!! :-)

I’m sure you early converts are asking the same question so wonder what you are hearing? It seems to me, a $900 difference would make it an easy decision to go crate… thinking after the upgrade you would have an entire backup 117ci engine or a 117ci engine you could sell on the used market - likely worth a good chuck of cash which would bring the conversion price down significantly.

The following users liked this post:
2020FLHCS (01-20-2022)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:35 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 379 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by al_ferguson01
Hi folks,

Was at the H.D. dealership this weekend and asked them the price difference between installing a crate 131ci motor and buying the 131ci upgrade kit including labor to do the job (on whichever choice you make – crate/kit). The price difference they quoted was $900 higher to go with the crate vs going with the upgrade. This was for my 2019 CVO Street Glide (117ci). I won’t even consider this until my warranty is done but never hurts to plan ahead!! :-)

I’m sure you early converts are asking the same question so wonder what you are hearing? It seems to me, a $900 difference would make it an easy decision to go crate… thinking after the upgrade you would have an entire backup 117ci engine or a 117ci engine you could sell on the used market - likely worth a good chuck of cash which would bring the conversion price down significantly.

If I'm not mistaken if you order a crate motor your sending back the cases so you won't have an entire motor

Old 02-23-2020, 08:43 AM
al_ferguson01
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless the guy at the parts counter was mistaken, he mentioned that I could take the 117ci motor home... Al

The following users liked this post:
kevin Z06 (03-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:56 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,023 Likes on 524 Posts
Cool

Hi folks,

I won’t even consider this until my warranty is done but never hurts to plan ahead!! :-)
With either the dealer installed crate engine, or the dealer installed upgrade, you still get the two year warranty. The key here is "Dealer Installed" Which for a new bike makes sense. So, no reason not to forge ahead if a "Warranty" is your only concern, just "Git Er Done"...and don't forget to Post the Dyno results! We await your results.

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave
If I'm not mistaken if you order a crate motor your sending back the cases so you won't have an entire motor
It's either, or....If the dealer does the upgrade install, you use your original cases.

Unless the guy at the parts counter was mistaken, he mentioned that I could take the 117ci motor home... Al
If you buy a crate motor, you get back an entire motor. Unless there is the likely possibility that there is an engine core charge. If true, I think $6000.00 isn't too bad for an entire new engine. S&S, and other makers charge accordingly for "Big Bore Engines"

I believe that The Moco will begin to offer this 131 engine outright in due time. Maybe not in Kalifornia as it is not CARB compliant. I cant wait to see it start showing up in a Softail chassis, and possibly others besides baggers. I see no reason why the New M-8 131" Stage IV "Dual Cool" engine would not fit in other "Dual Cool" chassis bikes. This "crate Motor" came out as a response to the "Indian Challenger" gauntlet slap down. These are indeed "The Golden Days" of Horsepower.

Last edited by SirHarley; 02-23-2020 at 12:14 PM. Reason: addendum correction
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 540 Posts

al ferguson 01 - Great looking bike, I just bought a left over ‘19 in the same color that is at the dealership waiting on the 131 kit and handlebar installation. I’m not sure only $900 difference in the kit vs. the crate motor. In my case with some dealer discounts on parts and labor including S&S MK-45 mufflers there is a larger gap, but if you can keep your stock motor and sell it you might end up cheaper in the long run. I have less in parts and labor than the crate motor with a 10% discount figured in and that would not include labor on the crate motor. FYI, HD is out of the 131 kits, my shipped date has been moved from February 25th to March 5th and now March 9th. They are out of valves....
Next on the list is a chopped tour pack like yours.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Johnnypop
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I’m not sure but if you get a131 crate motor the old motor has to go back to Harley if you are keeping original case numbers. There was some discussion earlier about this and fuel moto
When Harley did the 120 for the twin cam the numbers on the cases are not able to match the old motor.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:07 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,023 Likes on 524 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Johnnypop
I’m not sure but if you get a131 crate motor the old motor has to go back to Harley if you are keeping original case numbers. There was some discussion earlier about this and fuel moto
When Harley did the 120 for the twin cam the numbers on the cases are not able to match the old motor.
I'll have to ask my dealer about that. In general, if you swap out an engine with a new serial number you are supposed to notify the Vehicle services division in your state. People rarely do that though. I wonder if Harley Dealers do? I also wonder if there is a tax on high performance installations over a stock motorcycle? I'm sure insurance companies care. The engine number may not be on your title, but the information is in a file somewhere...Why let the man in on what you are doing? If your bike ever goes in for a title/vin investigation there could be problems if the numbers don't jive. If your bike is ever stolen, and recovered there is likely a title investigation before you ever see it again.

Last edited by SirHarley; 02-23-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: addendum correction
Old 02-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
I'll have to ask my dealer about that. In general, if you swap out an engine with a new serial number you are supposed to notify the Vehicle services division in your state. People rarely do that though. I wonder if Harley Dealers do? I also wonder if there is a tax on high performance installations over a stock motorcycle? I'm sure insurance companies care. The engine number may not be on your title, but the information is in a file somewhere...Why let the man in on what you are doing? If your bike ever goes in for a title/vin investigation there could be problems if the numbers don't jive. If your bike is ever stolen, and recovered there is likely a title investigation before you ever see it again.
Back in the day, these bikes were registered with the motor number, now a days by the number on the frame, I see no reason to have a problem especially when you have a bill of sale for the new motor.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

[QUOTE=al_ferguson01;18896357]Hi folks,

That sounds like fuzzy math to me. I just had the 131 kit installed on my bike and the total cost is significantly less than the cost of the engine alone.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 540 Posts

Spoke with my dealer early Friday on doing the crate since the kit is now delayed until late April. It was about $2,800 difference OTD and I keep my current motor that I thought I could sell for about $3,000 so I would break even. The new motor would be stamped by the motor company to match my bike so no issues with registration or future sales/trade. Then found out it doesn’t come in granite, so I’m going to take delivery of the bike like it is so I can enjoy spring riding. I will be traveling in mid-May so I hope they will install the 131 kit while I am away.

Quick Reply: Crate 131ci vs 131ci Upgrade Kit?