Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

'19 CVO RG - 117 engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What about the stock CVO mufflers with Fullsac baffles?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:49 PM
CVOMAKO
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
My 19 cvo runs great with s+s 475 cam and sounds great also. I have magnaflow 4 inch mufflers with a 2.5 baffle. With all the talk about open mufflers killing the bottom end I decided to throw the stock cvo mufflers on just to see how it ran with my cam. I can say for sure that the open mufflers do leave a lot on the table. With the stock cvo mufflers the torque was very noticeable in upper gears when rolling on full throttle from 2k rpms up. With the open mufflers it still picks up but with the stockers it picked up much faster for sure. Seems like if you want to have the best performance with the M8 you will have to sacrifice some sound for more restrictive exhaust. It's a tough call!
Having the same dilemma. I'm going to change out the cam, and every tuner said I have to lose my SVT Boneshakers. They sound amazing, but leaving a ton of torque behind. I have the Bassani head pipe, should be ok with it, but I'm looking into new mufflers. I'm also considering a 128 build, but I think a cam/tune/mufflers should give me what I want.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by CVOMAKO
Having the same dilemma. I'm going to change out the cam, and every tuner said I have to lose my SVT Boneshakers. They sound amazing, but leaving a ton of torque behind. I have the Bassani head pipe, should be ok with it, but I'm looking into new mufflers. I'm also considering a 128 build, but I think a cam/tune/mufflers should give me what I want.
If you like the sound that much I would try them with the new cam, yeah you will leave some on the table but it may not be enough that would make you give up the bone shakers if you like them that much. My bike runs awesome after the cam, even with open mufflers so not real sure I would be happy giving up the sound for 10ish more fr lbs of torque.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:51 PM
CVOMAKO
Advanced

If you like the sound that much I would try them with the new cam, yeah you will leave some on the table but it may not be enough that would make you give up the bone shakers if you like them that much. My bike runs awesome after the cam, even with open mufflers so not real sure I would be happy giving up the sound for 10ish more fr lbs of torque.
10lbs of Torque is actually a lot. The other option I'm considering is putting the Fullsac 2.25" cores in my stock mufflers.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

10lbs of Torque is actually a lot. The other option I'm considering is putting the Fullsac 2.25" cores in my stock mufflers.
Yeah that's a call you would have to make, I ride solo so not sure 10 ft lbs in a 500 rpm range is enough to go to a choked down sound. Talked to several guys running the fullsac cores, out of the ones I talked to it was about 50/50, some were ok with them, others switched out pretty quick because lack of sound. It's a compromise for sure.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 PM
CVOMAKO
Advanced

Yeah that's a call you would have to make, I ride solo so not sure 10 ft lbs in a 500 rpm range is enough to go to a choked down sound. Talked to several guys running the fullsac cores, out of the ones I talked to it was about 50/50, some were ok with them, others switched out pretty quick because lack of sound. It's a compromise for sure.
I can see that. I may just stick w/my current Bassani head pipe/Boneshakers because I love the sound, and add the Cam and have it tuned. Probably will be enough for me.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

I can see that. I may just stick w/my current Bassani head pipe/Boneshakers because I love the sound, and add the Cam and have it tuned. Probably will be enough for me.
If you dont get caught up in dyno graph torque curves I think you will be more than happy after a good cam. It made a world of difference in mine after the S+S 475 cam, sound and performance wise, even with my big baffle mufflers. I was blown away at how good it sounded and ran, my problem was I was reading too much on this site about how open mufflers kill the M8 and so on and so on that it got me questioning how happy I really was. Looking back on that now I realize just how stupid that really is, how I could be so happy and excited with everything about the way my bike runs and sounds but then read a few threads and look at a few dyno graphs on here and then question my happiness, kinda dumb honestly. My advice to you would be put the cam of your choice in, leave the exhaust as is, tune it properly and see where you're at. If you are happy with it then ride on and dont read too much like I was guilty of. After riding for the past week I've told myself I would be crazy to change my mufflers, it just runs and sounds too good! So to celebrate my decision on saving money on new mufflers I instead ordered a new set of RWD RS1 shocks, I'm a dumbass like that, LoL Good luck sir!

The following users liked this post:
black shadow (12-31-2020)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:45 AM
CVOMAKO
Advanced

If you dont get caught up in dyno graph torque curves I think you will be more than happy after a good cam. It made a world of difference in mine after the S+S 475 cam, sound and performance wise, even with my big baffle mufflers. I was blown away at how good it sounded and ran, my problem was I was reading too much on this site about how open mufflers kill the M8 and so on and so on that it got me questioning how happy I really was. Looking back on that now I realize just how stupid that really is, how I could be so happy and excited with everything about the way my bike runs and sounds but then read a few threads and look at a few dyno graphs on here and then question my happiness, kinda dumb honestly. My advice to you would be put the cam of your choice in, leave the exhaust as is, tune it properly and see where you're at. If you are happy with it then ride on and dont read too much like I was guilty of. After riding for the past week I've told myself I would be crazy to change my mufflers, it just runs and sounds too good! So to celebrate my decision on saving money on new mufflers I instead ordered a new set of RWD RS1 shocks, I'm a dumbass like that, LoL Good luck sir!
Spot on advice. I called a well known dealer about a cam, and before you know it, I had a $8K quote for a 128K kit, etc etc. I'm going to just do the cam and a tune and call it a day. My oil pump and cam plate are fine, and if it goes, then Harley can deal with it. I'm leaving my exhaust as is. MAYBE I'll do the Fullsac on my stock exhaust in the winter and see how it sounds, cheap enough. I put Ohlins 159's on my bike, and it's the greatest upgrade yet. Good luck to you!

Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi all...

I've got 4,600 miles on the bike, no issues. PowerVision/Bassani Head Pipe/SVT Boneshakers. I'm looking for more low-mid range.

I can either 1) add a new cam (Woods 22X) with rods and lifters, 2) A 128 Kit, or 3) Harley Stage 4 with a better cam.

Any opinions? Looking for torque from 30-70 mph, passing power, and just more *****. Don't care about top end or max HP.

Thanks!

How did you get away with the Power Vision tune? Were you not worried about your warranty being voided?

Old 01-24-2020, 06:33 AM
CVOMAKO
Advanced

Originally Posted by RiderX
How did you get away with the Power Vision tune? Were you not worried about your warranty being voided?
The part of the warranty that is no longer in effect for me is the engine. My bike is going in next Tuesday for a S&S 128 kit, T-Man 226 Cam, and several other upgrades. With the new cylinders, pistons, oil pump, cam plate, lifters, rods....not to concerned about the engine. Aside from early sumping in the primary, the M8's have been solid.

The following users liked this post:
Jonesy82 (01-24-2020)