Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Belt or rear axle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Bonez76
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt or rear axle issue.

Wassup guys. I am lost on the problem with my bike and hoping you guys (the professionals) can help me figure out what's going on.
I own a 2003 RK CVO. This is my first HD and she's my baby.

My belt wheel and axle nut keep loosening up. Is this a common issue?

-----(A little background to my problem)
About last February I took my bike into a mechanic, he was referred to me by my best friend that has been going to him with his bike for many years. I didn't want to pay my local HD dealer for their ridiculously high hourly labor fee. I paid him a good chunk of change to upgrade my bars to apes with braided lines, new brakes, new spokes wheels and new tires. When I got the bike back I was really impressed with how my bike looked. I rode it for a month or two until I noticed black marks on the rear tire from what I assume was the belt rubbing rubbing. I took it back to the mechanic and he said he took the wheel off and put a spacer in between the axle bolt and wheel. I got it back and rode it for about a month. I was on the freeway when my bike started having a surge feel when I opened the throttle like it was struggling to accelerate. When I would try to change gears there was a loud clanking or grinding sound like it was either my transmission or clutch. I limped it all the way home not trying to change gears and parked in the garage. I immediately called him, he said to park it and dont crank it over. After months of him not ever having time to look at it I decided to go out and look at my bike last week. 5 Months after I parked it in the garage to see if I can figure out what the **** it's doing when I noticed my belt was almost touching the ground and my wherl was slid all the way forward. I had someone help me readjust the rear tire. The axle nut was barely tightened down. We pulled the tire back and got the belt back to where it needed to be. I rode it all day yesterday and she was as good as knew. (So I thought.) Almost home and the same exact thing started happening. Got home and sure enough my belt was back to almost touching the floor, wheels slid all the way forward, and axle nut loosened up again. At this point i am lost in what to do or I am not sure what the **** this mechanic has done to my bike.
can anyone please give ideas or advice?

Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,726 Likes on 844 Posts

I had something similar happen to me. Except it was ME that made a mistake. The service manual says to get the wheel where you can adjust it, and tighten the nut to 20 ft lbs so I did. I didn't read further to understand that was just to get it to stay where you adjust it for the belt deflection. THEN, you are to tighten it to 100 ft lbs and recheck the belt deflection. I forgot that 2nd part. Now I have it corrected and all works fine.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,442 Posts

^^^^^that and use some blue loctite.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I think you have some other problems
For one, if your axle loses up, the axle locks will stop it from moving fwd.
That is the direction it would want to go with the belt yanking on the sprocket.
They would have to come lose too.
Are they EVEN there?
The axle nut as big as it does little, just keeps the swing arm snug against the axle spacers.
So
I am going to be the Lone Ranger and say you have a walking swing arm...busted bushings

Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,285 Likes on 5,868 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
I think you have some other problems
For one, if your axle loses up, the axle locks will stop it from moving fwd.
That is the direction it would want to go with the belt yanking on the sprocket.
They would have to come lose too.
Are they EVEN there?
The axle nut as big as it does little, just keeps the swing arm snug against the axle spacers.
So
I am going to be the Lone Ranger and say you have a walking swing arm...busted bushings

2003 was the first year of eccentric adjusters I believe...no axle adjusters or locks...turn the axle it tightens both sides at one time...

If the nut comes lose... the belt will come lose.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 10-04-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Okie dokie, I was wong..

Completely wrong.
It could be a loose nut situation.
Stupid **** design.
Now, most the thrust is carried by just the axle.
Some by the swing arm.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Added a spacer? Somebody screwed something up if he had to "add a spacer" Guessing maybe the wrong spacer inside the new wheel between the bearings, keeping the axle and spacers from tightening up properly. And in the photo of the axle above, the removable cam on the nut side is upside down.