Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

2018 CVO Boom Audio Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:45 AM
btowen8688
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 CVO Boom Audio Tuning

All, I have about 1500mi on my ’18 CVO Street Glide and I am loving the bike. I came from a ’16 Street Glide Special and I must say the CVO’s extra power stability are awesome in comparison. The one area I am struggling with is the Boom Audio on the CVO. When on the road, I feel like I am bottoming out the speakers with the base at reasonable volume levels. Unless I run the bass at or below mid-level with the volume @ mid-level, it just seems to go thud. On my 16 I upgraded to Boom Audio II with lid speakers and I didn’t seem to have this issue.

Are there any good sources on adjusting the audio on the CVO Boom setups? Besides the treble , Bass and volume controls. I know there is the level that lets you move the sound forward/rear and up/down the speakers, but that does not seem to make a huge difference in the bass bottoming out.

Anyone else have this kind of trouble or point me in a good direction for more information?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2018, 04:37 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by btowen8688
All, I have about 1500mi on my ’18 CVO Street Glide and I am loving the bike. I came from a ’16 Street Glide Special and I must say the CVO’s extra power stability are awesome in comparison. The one area I am struggling with is the Boom Audio on the CVO. When on the road, I feel like I am bottoming out the speakers with the base at reasonable volume levels. Unless I run the bass at or below mid-level with the volume @ mid-level, it just seems to go thud. On my 16 I upgraded to Boom Audio II with lid speakers and I didn’t seem to have this issue.

Are there any good sources on adjusting the audio on the CVO Boom setups? Besides the treble , Bass and volume controls. I know there is the level that lets you move the sound forward/rear and up/down the speakers, but that does not seem to make a huge difference in the bass bottoming out.

Anyone else have this kind of trouble or point me in a good direction for more information?

Thanks!
If you want better audio, you'll have to ditch most of the boom system. Go to the audio section, lots of products being reviewed there.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by btowen8688

Thanks!
I have a 18 Limited and the rear speakers are ok with fm but with Sirius Xm. It totally sucks. I adjust the bass down but it still isn't good. Volume has to be low to listen too

Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I had this same problem when i first got my CVO. It is especially evident when I have XM turned on. it seems that the signal from the XM radio is pretty high which results in a clipping effect if the following settings are also set to high. Here is what I did.

First, turn down the setting that increases volume when you ride faster. I think this is called "Speed Volume". Turn this down to the lowest level.

Second, as you mentioned, dial down the bass to about 1/2.

Check your fade setting to make sure you have the speakers balanced. This is kind of a cool feature.

Mine sounds quite good now. I think most of what you are hearing is the amp clipping due to too much signal.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

As Kojak mentioned, go over to the audio section and read up. Sadly the Boom system has different system files which change the DSP with bike running versus in Aux mood. When the bike is started the Bin file is changed to alter the DSP/Equalizer settings, truly eliminating some (actually a lot) of volume as well as changing bass and trebile. This is to prevent you, while riding using full volume and blowing out the cheap speakers harley uses.
I for one tore out the BOOM ll and replaced it with Soundz equipment and now the Sound system Rocks.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 PM
btowen8688
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for the ideas. I will give them a try and see what I can come up with.

Rock on!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,396 Likes on 621 Posts

Another vote here to ditch the speed-volume leveling function. I love the concept and the feature, but unfortunately in this system it adversely affects the sound quality. Most noticeable was the poor bass response / overdriven "thud" of a kick drum...

I generally have my music cranked way-up above the engine noise. Here's what I am doing to get it dialed in to a respectable listening experience:
  • Speed-volume leveling feature OFF
  • Bass / Treble FLAT
  • Fade to the rear, about 25~33%
Definitely play with the settings to find the best output for your musical taste and listening style. Use a music player (i.e. iPod, iPhone, etc.) where you know you've got a good, consistent and clean signal to work from. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 AM
TimOBrien
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 cvo SG

Good looking bike yup but when u outsourcing parts well u get what we got here ..cheap **** going on a over priced bike ...the great American way ...yeeehaw I’m glad I bought into your bs again Harley
Ummmm these systems are only 2ohm on the speakers once you start clipping you will be blowing you poor cheap *** speakers ...I’ve got 3 replaced so far in my saddle bags and another one just blew again....only good when parked yup ...cheers