Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

FuelPak vs. Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 AM
BeenDown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FuelPak vs. Race Tuner

I have a new ride. FXSTSSE (Screaming Eagle Spriner) and am going to get Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes. HD Dealer says I need a Race Tuner. Vance and Hines says I need a FulePak. What's the difference? Which to choose?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Fireman44
Tourer
Default RE: FuelPak vs. Race Tuner

A SERT is downloaded into your computer it is more then $350. and you need a few hours of dyno time but,it works very well. A fuel pak is a addition to factory computer, with mid mods. it works good if you go with VH stuff. there are alot of threads on this subject.I went with the SERT because I had a coupon for harley. If price is a factor the fuelpak is much cheaper, it is programed by you with VH's help and no dyno time needed. goodluck

Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a power commander III usb, which addresses both timing anf fuel, unlike the fuel pack. The SERT is even more complex. I would study up on the sert and PC III. I'm happy with the PCIII...some are not. If I had it to do all over I probably go with the SERT based on everything I've read on both. My opinion is even more influenced by the fact that with my PCIII , you have to eliminated the o2 sensors. I'd rather use them. The SERT works with the o2 sensors. Best of luck...there is a TON of info on here about all these products and more.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:26 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: z_kid

I have a new ride. FXSTSSE (Screaming Eagle Spriner) and am going to get Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes. HD Dealer says I need a Race Tuner. Vance and Hines says I need a FulePak. What's the difference? Which to choose?

SERT is a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. It is a software hardware combination that allows you to reprogram the ECM of your motorcycle.

There are custom maps that are provided with the sert for combinations that Harley has tested. These give you a good starting point. You can usually select one that is close to the after market pipes, ect.

There are after market fuel management. All of these piggyback onto your existing ecm except for one. This means what ever the computer in your Harley (ECM) does the after market intercepts the signal and fiddle's with it according to the settings you have programmed into it. the most popular is probably the PCIII.

If you have an 07 you need to read a few of the problem threads. A lot of people have had a nightmare with the PCIII. This one has been going the longest. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1248556/tm.htm

This section of the forum will have a lot of good reading. https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_264/tt.htm

I went with the sert.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Diamondback
1st Gear

Had similar issues with my 07 SE Ultra. Decided to go with the Thunder Max Autotune. The first 3500 miles on the bike, it ran very (extremely hot) and in western Coloroda at 10,000 feet and 100 dgrees the rear cylinder pinged excessively. Installed the thunder Max (in lieu of a SERT or Power Commander) with the new WB-O2 sensors. Bike runs much cooler, significant improvement for power and throttle respones and gas mileage is about 38 mpg. Relatively easy install. I had to many issues with the SERT and the tech doing the Dyno.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a SERT on my '06 Deuce, I liked the versatility of it, and it's better than the PCIII and way better than the Fuelpak!
Then I installed the ThunderMax ECM with autotune, and I like it better than the tuning that I was doing with the SERT because you just tell the Tmax what you want and it mantains it automatically, plus the autotune constantly adjusts the tune to compensate for different temps and riding conditions, the PCIII, Fuelpak and even the SERT won't do that.

so when I traded the '06 Deuce in on the "07 FXSTSSE I took my Thundermax ECM off the Deuce, and I installed it right onto the CVO Springer and changed the MAP.
If you have the funds, the ThunderMax is THE way to go!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:28 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Like you said "if you have the funds".....the dam thing is like $850, and then if you dont have o2 sensors, you have to have two bungs welded into your head pipe, but you are correct......it is about the best unit on the market right now.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It cost me almost nothing to have O2 bungs welded into my pipes on the Deuce, I removed them from the bike and took them to a muffler shop.
and the Thundermax can be found for around $725.00