Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

BAD 110 Motor Whats harley going to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BAD 110 Motor Whats harley going to do?

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Here is the deal on the 110' motor....the wheels will shift if you lug the motor...I know I know your saying you don't lug the motor, but thats what does it. Remember the download that was to be done to the 110....that down load removed timing in the lower rpm area so when the customer did lug it the power wouldn't be as high and have less effect on the wheels. You ask how does this happen...good question. At the lower rpm under a load (lugging) the compensator spring bottoms out and it literally hammers the sprocket shaft which in turns shifts the wheels. So keep the rpms up higher, run it harder, and don't lug it and you will have a much happier motor.
This isn't a concern in the smaller motors because the displacement being smaller doesn'tbottom out(hammer) the compensator spring so hard. Maybe a stiffer spring will be out soon for the 110' who knows.

Ride it like you stole it and I promise you you will get more than 3000 miles out of Her......
so is that thenoise i am hearing in six gear @ 2500rpm almost sound like detonation? sound like its coming from primary area on bike! my bike is currently in the shop for major oil leak they say it could be porosity related, among outher things. I dont know when ill get it back. I only have 4000 mi. on it. I am beginning to wonder if thats the run time on these bike before they are throw away, thats a very expensive 4000mi.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM
sgt joseph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I constantly see folks LUGGING the heck outta their harley motors......Mention it to them, and some folks get PISSED as if you are trying to be some kind of know it all......I personally think its much better to have the motor wind on out in each gear than to constantly ride around at a very low rpm in a high gear.....This absolutely KILLS a motor, and will certainlywear out any weak part or parts of your engine in a short time.....Many folks love the feeling of riding at a low rpm, which makes you feel like your riding on a wave.......But this practice is HARD on a motor......especially on cranks and piston skirts .....I firmly believe in letting a motor run FREE and not LOADED up.....

Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 PM
KozyK
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an '07 SE110 Road King. Bought it begin of Sept. '06. HD replaced the engine (w/ same VIN) at 6700 miles. (One week after I installed V&H Big Shot True Duals w/FuelPak.) The rear cylinder head gasket blew. The base gasket had been leaking since day one but dealer would never admit to it! Milling didn't match.HD had me a new engine in 3 days and comped me the 1000 mile oil change. But as in the original break in I changed the oil at 500 and 1000.
Just brought my baby in for the 10,000 mile service and had another rear cyclinder base gasket leak.1 week later HD agreed to replace only the rear cylinder. Just turned 500 miles on it and changed the oil tonight. All is well. Cruise on SoCal freeways, 100 to 200 miles a day.
Occasionaly lug the engine, start off in 2nd by being lazy. Typically run between 2200 and 4900 RPMS. Wind her out all the gears. Handles sweet. Debating to install the HD Race tuner and have her mapped on a dyno, mostly to find out the true HP.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 PM
vettedog72
Tourer

What RPM is "lugging"? I'm usually at 2K and 3k. 5th gear chatters, but not bad at all in 6th. 5th gear reminds me of my neighbors XLH '60's Sporster; samechatter in 3rd.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 PM
detonator
Road Captain

sounds like lugging is anything under 2500to3500rpm in any gear can i assume this is correct?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Senshi
Stage I

Greetings,
I like a lot of us have had my share of problems with my '07 SEUC. Leaky rear gasket @ 5,000 miles or so which in a couple of hundred miles quickly caused many other problems.
Burned up the 110 motor at 5,500 miles. (Not due to lack of oil, but due to heat) Harley would not warranty but did give me a new "customer complimentary" motor and labor to install. Hmmm.

I am up around 800 miles on new motor and will be bringing in to dealer for 1,000 mile fluid change and check up. It's still freakin' burning my brides and my legs and it's running real hot and sluggish. So I was going to do some of the things I have read on this site - SERT, High Flow AC Filter, Dyno (I already had some Rush slip ons, but they blued badly when engine burned up, HD would not replace them and I'm back with my stock FLHTCUSE pipes.)
Anyway, I have seen some good writtings and suggestions from this site and was wondering if anyone had comments on other things I should do to try and correct? (gonna have to sell my house to get this new $35k bike running right, geez!)
Also, any comments on this site below and the suggestions?

Thanks for the help amigos!

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm

Nightrider.com
Hot Exhaust Fix (LC-1) We are planning for June 1, 2007 availability of the Hot Exhaust Fix. Price has been set at $199.99.
Here is a first look at the electronic control module used for the Nightrider fix for the hot exhaust / hot engine temperatures found in the 2007 HD bikes. The size of the main electronics module is 3.5"Lx1.5"Wx0.9"D and is intended to mount under the fuel tank or the seat of the bike.

The upgrade will consist of the LC-1 electronic module, one WBO2 sensor, one blocking plate for the second OEM NBO2 sensor, programming instructions for the LC-1, and detailed installation instructions to connect the upgrade to your motorcycle.

No ECU upgrades or ECU programming required for HD/SE Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgraded engines. The upgrade is 100% compatible with any of the HD or SE ECU downloads, and is compatible with SE Race Tuner for highly modified bikes. Contact us for more information.

There is also some info on:
HD 110CID Engine/Piston Issues

Thanks again...

[/align]

[hr]

CAQZ0XMF.jpg (15.66 KB, 396x200 - viewed 5 times.)
[/align]

Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doc, the download wasn't for the 110. George C, I invite you to visit any one of the test facilities in AZ,FL, or AL. I can honestly say you have NO idea what you are talking about. Zero. After several visits and knowing how much R&D and testing goes into HD and not to mention the Other beands Harley test to compare you have no knowledge of what you are talking about. Get some facts. If you want to post your opinion, go ahead, but you have no facts.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Gutman

Doc, the download wasn't for the 110.
Gutman:

I feel confident Doc was refering to the "torque smoothing" download as outlined in Service Bulletin M-1186 (Product Program 0903):

Furthermore, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction,
Harley-Davidson has decided to offer a current production
equivalent ECM calibration upgrade at no charge to all
owners of 2007 Big Twin model motorcycles manufactured
prior to implementation of the calibration change. This offer
includes stock production, Police and CVO motorcycles, and
also those that have subsequently had P&A street legal performance
calibrations installed. This calibration upgrade offer
is valid from now to the end of the motorcycle’s warranty
period.
Motorcycles Affected
All 2007 Big Twin model motorcycles built by early November,

The Service Bulletin lists specific downloads for the CVO 110" engines.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]