Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Tire Pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016 | 05:39 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

I've been riding for 41 years and never felt the need to worry about what my tire pressure was at any moment.......because I know for a fact:
1. Generally once a month I need to add a psi or 2 to my tires.
2. To do that, I have to use a tire pressure gauge ($3 or $4 bucks for a decent digital online and $40 for a tire inflator/compressor in the garage).
3. Only once in all those years, did I have a problem with more serious leakage before I learned just check the valve stem nut is snug every time I wash my bikes.
So what is a tire pressure monitoring system going to do for you besides giving you a false sense of security if you have not learned good pre-maintenance habits? Guess I'm just old! LOL.

Old 01-02-2016 | 12:25 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kojak
I've been riding for 41 years and never felt the need to worry about what my tire pressure was at any moment.......because I know for a fact:
2. To do that, I have to use a tire pressure gauge ($3 or $4 bucks for a decent digital online and $40 for a tire inflator/compressor in the garage).
3. Only once in all those years, did I have a problem with more serious leakage before I learned just check the valve stem nut is snug every time I wash my bikes.
So what is a tire pressure monitoring system going to do for you besides giving you a false sense of security if you have not learned good pre-maintenance habits? Guess I'm just old! LOL.
It's a convenience feature. Do we need half the doodads on these new bikes ? No but they sure have a lot of nice convenience features. I check my tire pressure before every ride. Now I have the FOBO tpms on my bike and my wife's bike. I can check the tire pressure before each ride now simply by looking at my iPhone. No need to lay on the garage floor anymore to check 4 tires before the wife and I go ride. I love it.

Old 01-02-2016 | 08:55 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

^^^ I had the tire pressure sensor on my wife's car save me having to change a tire in the middle of the desert this last summer. We picked up a nail as we were leaving our AZ house headed for SoCal, and the sensor warned us of low pressure as I was headed out of town. I got out and checked and at first thought the sensor was wrong because the tire looked ok. I looked closer as she rolled forward and Sure enough there was a nail and a slow leak. I headed to the nearest tire shop and had it fixed. The TPS on her car came in handy that day.

Old 01-03-2016 | 06:39 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RedNose44
^^^ I had the tire pressure sensor on my wife's car save me having to change a tire in the middle of the desert this last summer. We picked up a nail as we were leaving our AZ house headed for SoCal, and the sensor warned us of low pressure as I was headed out of town. I got out and checked and at first thought the sensor was wrong because the tire looked ok. I looked closer as she rolled forward and Sure enough there was a nail and a slow leak. I headed to the nearest tire shop and had it fixed. The TPS on her car came in handy that day.
That wont happen the same way on a bike! My point is you need to add air to your tires on a regular basis, having a tpm or not isn't going to get you out of the chore. Tire pressure is way more important on 2 wheels than on an automobile, I have a tpm on my F150 and rarely need to add air, not so on my Harleys.

Old 01-03-2016 | 06:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I check my pressure frequently too. But I didn't realize I picked this nail up. I don't like the infotainment systems, but TPMS is a feature I would like to have.

One tip, don't put metal valve caps on.
If exposed to salt, they will corrode on. Expensive to replace stem and sensor.

Old 01-03-2016 | 11:03 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That wont happen the same way on a bike! My point is you need to add air to your tires on a regular basis, having a tpm or not isn't going to get you out of the chore. Tire pressure is way more important on 2 wheels than on an automobile, I have a tpm on my F150 and rarely need to add air, not so on my Harleys.
I check my tires before every ride (I have been riding on the street for 34 years). Now with the TPM I can do it on the bike without having to get out the tire pressure gauge.

The situation I described could absolutely happen on a bike. If you get a puncture with a slow leak you are going to get a warning on the info screen. Depending on where you are riding and how slow the leak is, you may or may not feel the low pressure before the bike warns you.

Old 01-03-2016 | 01:03 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
I check my pressure frequently too. But I didn't realize I picked this nail up. I don't like the infotainment systems, but TPMS is a feature I would like to have.

One tip, don't put metal valve caps on.
If exposed to salt, they will corrode on. Expensive to replace stem and sensor.
OK, maybe it has some utility for some situations. I have never felt the need for it, I do put my bike up on a lift when I check my tires pressure once a month and rotate the rear wheel and check for cuts/nails etc. I've had 2 flats in decades of riding and knew what happened pretty quickly and was able to coast to a stop.

Old 01-05-2016 | 11:08 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer

I check psi before every ride but wouldn't be nice to know you have a problem before you have a BIG problem.. They have a yellow low warning light in the infotainment unit. As rednose 44 stated you can read psi in two other locations.. Very nice safety fetcher IMO.