Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Integrating GPS voice with head unit, not a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Integrating GPS voice with head unit, not a big problem

I just ordered the necessary parts to integrate my roadtech 665 voice directions through my stereo speakers while still being able to listen to any source of the headunit. Here is how I am going to do it. First, I am going to use the Mix-it2 to put the GPS and headunit together. The only downfall, if you want to call it that, is you have to have an external amplifier for this to work properly. I am also replacing the headunit on my 2005 CVO electra glide because honestly it just bites in my opinion. I am replacing it with the new Jensen Harley direct replacement radio which offers USB, Bluetooth and still allows the use of hand controls on the bike. I will using the RCA outputs and adapting them down to 3.5mm stereo cable and inputting to the Mix-it2 stereo input, then I will use the 3.5mm output from the garmin 665 to the Priority mono input on the Mix-it2. This will mute the headunit when the gps voice comes on. The builder of the mix-it2 device assures me the mono input will still send a mono, but through both speakers voice from the gps. Those that listen to satellite radio from the garmin would want to use one of the other stereo inputs. You can still easily integrate the xm radio on the garmin with the headunit, but it will NOT mute the music, this can only be accomplished using the mono input. However, I do not use the xm on my 665 as I bought an xm receiver to use with my new headunit, so problem solved there.

I will then use a 3.5mm stereo cord from the mix it2 to the input of the amplifier. All devices will go through the mix-it2 then to the amp. So I will be able to have my mp3 through usb on the radio, use any source from the radio (including Sirius xm), and still have the GPS break in with voice directions. I have read a lot of posts on this and this is the easiest way I could figure out how to do it. Upgrading my speakers and headunit, and the amp addition were things I was going to do anyway, so I decided I want a solution to integrate my gps and this is it. I will mount the mix-it2 in the right glove box for easy access, and I am using a fairing mount through the dash pad for the garmin 665. I will more than likely take pictures of the setup when I get it together, and may do a video showing how it works. I have many of the items already, just waiting on some cables, adapters, and the mix-it2 device. Also going to add a ward's cooling fan setup at the same time, I guess this would be a good time to do that also.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have placed this post under the "Audio" forum. I apologize. If one of you moderators could move it I would be grateful. I have a screamin eagle EG and I was looking around this forum when I made the post. Probably belongs there in Audio.