Rush Racing Products Performance V-Twin Exhaust — Providing the industry's most complete line of slip-on mufflers.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
mrbones76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

I installed 1.75" Rush Baloney cut Slip On's on my 09 Fat Bob. I have a lot of decel popping. HD dealer where I bought them said that I have to change over to stage one and remapping. Dealer #2 stated they sound normal. Rush slip on's just sound that way. Maybe a pair of Torque cones will help but no quarantee.

Who is right?

Paul

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbones76
I installed 1.75" Rush Baloney cut Slip On's on my 09 Fat Bob. I have a lot of decel popping. HD dealer where I bought them said that I have to change over to stage one and remapping. Dealer #2 stated they sound normal. Rush slip on's just sound that way. Maybe a pair of Torque cones will help but no quarantee.

Who is right?

Paul
Paul, generally speaking decel popping is causeed by an overly lean air/fuel ratio. However many people have installed our mufflers with a 2.00" baffle or smaller and not had to remap, assuming the rest of the bike is stock including the air cleaner. Once you install our exhaust and any high flow air cleaner remapping must be done at a minimum. Regardless of what is done to the bike, when you install our exhaust we recommend using a fuel management system that is dyno tuned, that is the best situation to quarantee your air/fuel ratio is not to lean (which causes decel popping.)
Your situation does not sound typical since you have 1.75" mufflers and I assume the stock air cleaner. If my assumtion is correct the most obvious cause besides tuning would be an exhaust leak where the slip-on muffler meets the head pipe. We use a thicker ga steel then stock mufflers and most other manufacturers, this means you have to torque the muffler clamp to at least 65 ft/lbs (don't go much farther or the clamp will break and always use new clamps.) One way to check this seal is to place the bike outside on a sunny day, look down the inside of the muffler from the back, and if you see any light there is not a good seal at the headpipe.
Decel popping is not typical of our mufflers.
If you need more information please contact our tech department.
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

great info