Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip Report: Chattanooga area

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Trip Report: Chattanooga area

My wife and I met up with some riding friends from around Atlanta for a few days of riding in east Tennessee and north Georgia and we based out of Chattanooga. We were on my '14 Ultra and the others on a '08 Street Glide and a '13 Yamaka Super Tenere dual sport.

Just to satisfy the guys, we got up early and toured Point Park on Lookout Mountain, then rode over to the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. The ride up Lookout Mountain was very cool and the view from the battlefield park is just plain awesome. I really enjoyed the battlefields as well.

After spending a day touring the battlefields and then a nice dinner in downtown Chattanooga, we got up the next morning for a run west to check out Lynchburg, Tennessee. Nice little town that is very motorcycle friendly, and home of the Jack Danial's distillary. The country between Chattanooga and Lynchburg is rural and very beautiful. The back roads have delightful twists and are well maintained.

The ride through Franklin County was especially nice. I like seeing old courthouse squares and Tennessee seems to still have a lot of vibrant ones. A very cool art deco style county courthouse and an original movie house still showing movies in downtown.

The twisties through the east Tennessee hills and hayfields remind me of home back in the Arkansas Ozarks. Lots of other folks on two wheels taking advantage of the scenary as well.

We came back to Chattanooga through the small town of Scottboro, Alabama, home of the world famous Unclaimed Baggage Store that the ladies just had to stop for a look see. Turns out it was pretty cool and I actually walked out with a few items at bargain basement prices. It's amazing what people leave and loose on airplanes.

We headed north and crossed the Tennessee River at South Pittsburg, Tennessee, across the baby blue Shelby Reinhart steel arch bridge.

On the final day of our trip we made a run east from Chattanooga to the area around the Cherokee National Forest. Some very beautiful scenary and we stopped and enjoyed watching folks ride the rapids in kayaks and inflatable rafts. We then trekked our way off of Hwy 165 down the narrow and twisty River Road to the Bald River Falls, an absolute gorgeous scenic place for a rest stop and take off the boots and socks for a soaking in the cool waters below the waterfall.

This was our first time to ever ride in the area around Chattanooga, but certainly look forward to making another.

Last edited by Faulkner; 08-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Great write up and pictures of the area.. I live pretty close to this area and find something new every time we go ...Yep you want to be careful when folks are doing hay...

Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nicely done! Can't wait I am heading down to Tennessee in a couple weeks. I hope to see some of the same.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Av8rPaul
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice pics, looks like it was a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 PM
brandonwbeck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Trip!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Adding that to my "bike it" list.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

This post couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'll be heading to Chattanooga and Nashville in two weeks. Thanks for the info and pics. I'm really looking forward to riding in that part of the country. It looks beautiful.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Alphachief
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battlefield park really is beautiful. I ran a marathon in it a couple years ago. Runners World usually ranks it in their top five most scenic races.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

This post was perfect timing for me as well, I am heading up to Lookout Mountain on Sept. 6th for a week of riding and relaxing and I am definitely looking forward to checking out some of these areas.