Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Recommendations For a Place to Base From in Arkansas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 PM
OzarkMark
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something a bit different:
Take a look at Mt Magazine State Park. Very nice lodge and restaurant on site, and they recently added a bar. Very bike friendly, and you're in the middle of the state. Easy access to both Hwy 7, and the Pig Trail Hwy 23. Also can run south on 7 to Hot Springs, or the Western Ouachita's around Mena. The Talimena Scenic Byway is another fantastic trip.
Mt Magazine also puts you right in the center of AR wine country (it's no Napa, but it's fun) with several wineries and restaurants nearby.
Just thought I'd mention it. The lodge is one of my favorite road trip getaways.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 219 Posts

Jasper is a good suggestion Faulkner, not dry is it? :-) Mt Magazine lodge also looks interesting. Thanks guys just the kind of suggestions I was hoping for!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Trial dog
Tourer

Mount magazine lodge is great, feels like a lodge out west. It is expensive though. The cabins are at least 300 or so and even the rooms push 200 a night so might get a little pricey for a week. When the leaves change it is pretty well booked up. Sorry to hear about Ozark Cafe, that bums me out.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM
2010 Merlot FXDC
Novice

Not sure when you are planning on coming down here, but there will be a large bike rally in Hot Springs on Sept 4-6. Hot Springs is a great town to stay in, lots of good riding around here, you can plan a ride anywhere from 30 minutes to all day, lots of nice hotels, restaurants and bars. Very biker friendly town. Yes, i do live here. Feel free to get back with me if you need any more info.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to mention Mt. Nebo State Park as a base too. I've stayed in the cabins several times and they're much more reasonable than Magazine. Plus, Mt. Nebo is right in the middle of scenic Hwy 7 . . . go south on Hwy 7 and it's a great ride to Hot Springs National Park. Go north on Hwy 7 and you'll go through Jasper to Harrison or Eureka Springs. Just a little detour before you get to Jasper will take you on Hwy 123 to the Arkansas Dragon through Mt Judea then back to Jasper.

West from Nebo you can hit Magazine Mountain and up to the Pig Trail. East from Nebo will take you to Petit Jean Mountain, then take the back roads across the Arkansas River at Toad Suck Lock & Dam and into Conway for a visit to Toad Suck Harley Davidson.

No lodge at Mt. Nebo, but just down the switchbacks into the small town of Dardanelle there are plenty of places to eat, or just across the Arkansas River is the college town of Russellville.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo/

Last edited by Faulkner; 08-24-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,071 Likes on 12,185 Posts

I always stay in Eureka Springs. Okay......not always as I have stayed in Hot Springs and Rogers. Heck, I used to live just outside of Rogers on Beaver Lake so you could say I know the area pretty well. That said, I prefer ES because it's in the perfect location for day rides in all directions. It's very safe and your bike won't be messed with. There are hotels aplenty where you can park right out your front door. I also like it because they have some very, very good restaurants. Yeah, it's touristy. Just stay out of the stupid T-shirt shops. And yes, it's an alternative lifestyle mecca. So unless you're into it, don't go to some of the bars at night. The Cat House is safe always.

I can hook you up with routes if you like.

Shame about Ozark Cafe. Oark (way south) has the General Store. Used to be great. Now it's just ok. But, the ride there makes up for it 10-fold.

Low Gap has a 5 star restaurant. Also on a great road. You should try it.

On Hot Springs - All I can say is do a quick search on crime rates. Harrison isn't a whole lot better. Nuff said.